Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Remove the "elbow pit" from your armrest.  (Read 13933 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remove the "elbow pit" from your armrest.
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:39:07 pm »
If you use the armrest in your Fiero a lot, it may have developed an indentation where your elbow rests. This thread will present a way to restore the arm rest to like new condition.
For this procedure, you will need some high density foam and some special superglue for plastic. For the foam, you can use either a foam sleeping pad, such as used by campers or hikers, or carpet underlayment foam. I happened to have some sleeping pad foam left over from a previous job that required high density foam.

Position your armrest so that the back side faces you. Most likely, the soft plastic has separated from the hard plastic, making this step easy. Pull  up the soft plastic, and remove all the foam under it in the area of the elbow indentation.

Be sure to remove all of  the foam residue from the "lip" of the soft plastic. You will be gluing it back down later, and the glue does not adhere properly to the foam residue.

Cut a piece of foam to fill in the space where you removed the old foam. The space to fill is thicker towards the back side of the armrest, and my foam is not thick enough, so I made a smaller piece to go above the main foam piece. It would probably have been better to shape the small piece like a wedge.

Stuff the foam pieces into the armrest.

Glue the armrest back together. To do this, coat both edges with the adhesive promoter that comes with the glue kit, and then apply the glue to a short section of the hard plastic. Then position the soft plastic lip over the hard plastic, and hold down for a few seconds. (The glue sets very fast.) This is the hard part, because the soft  plastic will  have shrunk a bit over time.  You will probably have to use a pocket knife blade to "persuade" the soft plastic lip to slip over the hard plastic edge. Because the glue sets fast, do only a little bit at a time -- no more than 2 inches (5 cm).

Your armrest should look as good as new when you are done.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:15:40 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the "elbow pit" from your armrest.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 05:52:26 pm »
Very nice!  I think I'll try that.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 09:23:46 pm »
A good newsletter article candidate.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:30:05 pm »
That thought crossed my mind.  TopNotch has posted several very nice write-ups, and this is but the latest.  This would fit in well with some articles planned for the Fall.  I started them 2 years ago, and never finished them.

I was looking for this info, previously.  Somewhere on this forum, I had asked about this.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
I've come up with another method for repairing your arm rest. For this method, you will need some of this:

It should be this specific brand (which you can get from Amazon) for two reasons. It hardens to the right consistency, and and it does not all have to be used in one session. Some spray foam products will harden in the straw, so you can't come back the next day and use the same can again. With this foam, the hole in the end of the straw is tiny, so if you leave a bit of foam on the end of the straw, it will harden and protect what's in the straw, so you can remove the hardened part on the end and use more foam from the can the next day. I was able to do two arm rests -- one from my "project car" on Friday, and one from my yellow car today.

For this method, refer to one of my preovious pictures. Remove the foam form the hole in the plastic where the original foam was inserted.

Basically, all you do is glue the soft plastic down, and spray the foam in the hole. The actual elbow indentation on my armrest was about 1.5 inches to the left of the hole in the picture, so for the yellow car arm, I drilled another hole to the left of the original hole as another place to insert foam. Below is the yellow car arm after the job was done

Below is the yellow car arm back in the car. This picture shows another experiment I'm trying. Those of you who know my car know that I have applied fake carbon fiber vinyl on the dash and console pieces, and that I have painted the armrests black. Well, the black paint wears off after a while in the elbow area, so I have put a little of the vinyl on the arm in that area. Time will tell how it holds up.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.