Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Alternator only good after installed?  (Read 13977 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Alternator only good after installed?
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:59:25 pm »
I purchased an alternator for testing.  So, I took it from parts store A straight to parts store B.  Now, this alternator has a full warranty.  Store B refused to test.  So, I took it to store C.  They tested the alternator, which failed.  Interesting.  So, I took it to a different location of store A.  They tested the altetnator, and it failed.  I produced my receipt, and asked for an exchange.  They told me that I had to go to the location where I had made the purchase.  I did.  They were expecting me, refused to test the alternator, and told me that I had to install it and run it, before it could be tested.  WHAT???!

I asked to speak with the manager.  He had a different story.  He accused me of swapping the alternator.  He rrfused to exchange or refund.  I had my receipt, and it is the purchased alternator.  I disputed the charge.  I refuse to be ripped off.

I have never heard of this install before test thing, previously.  Anyone else?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator only good after installed?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:25:00 pm »
I usually just kind of expect that a new (rebuilt?) alternator, right out of the box, will be "good".
Maybe I'm too trusting.

If you were going to go through all of that, maybe you should have had it tested at the point and time of purchase, instead of running all over town.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:26:48 pm by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:28 pm »
So, if they want to play that game, I take the alternator back home, get it good and dirty from greasy finger prints that I got from touching other automotive parts, even if they were on other automobiles.  Then I'd take it back and have them test it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:59:10 pm »
Well, I naively also thought it would work.  Actually, I figured the store would refuse to test their new part, although I guess I do have them test ICMs.  Good point.

I was trying to get a baseline.

This alternator was sold as new, but it could be a refurb, as I look closely.  Anyway, I now have a "free" non-working alternator.

This store had also sold me a battery, installed it, then refused to warranty/replace the battery, when it had issues.  So, I challenged the charge, but used that battery as a core, at another place.  I kept my old battery, so my refund included the core charge.  Come to think of it, I went through several of their alternators, previously.  Only, I did install those alternators.  I think I had $1K in alternators, but challenged the charges, and got all my money back.  The funny part is, I kept those alternators, which accumulated points.  Eventually, the alternators were replaced under warranty, and eventually became good alternators.  So, I had 4 good spare alternators, so I replaced the alternators in each of the other trucks, then claimed the core returns.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:03:15 pm »
So, if they want to play that game, I take the alternator back home, get it good and dirty from greasy finger prints that I got from touching other automotive parts, even if they were on other automobiles.  Then I'd take it back and have them test it.

The parts stores are miles away from me, but close to each other.  Basically, 3 on one side of the street, with 2 almost directly across the street.  Another parts store is a bit further down the street.  It isn't really worth my time to come back home, then go back.  The alternators on my trucks are still bright and shiny, 50K miles later.