Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Body clips  (Read 14051 times)

Sandman87

• View Profile
Body clips
« on: May 28, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
Hello everyone! I'm beginning to start painting on the Fiero and a lot of the body cladding clips are either riveted in and or plastic clips that like to break no matter how gentle you are I have seen some for sale on the Fiero store but it seems a bit pricey. Does anyone know where I can get all the clips and fasteners I will need for reassembly at a more reasonable cost or even better yet maybe an entire kit?
Mike

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Body clips
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:43:48 pm »
Fiero Jon.

Sandman87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 06:27:13 pm »
Thank you ! I just sent him a request on a quote on a full kit of clips for reassembly after painting
Mike

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:39 pm »
Excellent!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:24:31 pm »
Fiero Jon is basically a reseller of Fiero Store parts.  Sometimes, from my experience, they are seconds.  I had a lot of difficulty in getting a refund. 

When I had my 87 repainted, I just bit the bullet and ordered from TFS.  I believe some of the rivets needed for the rocker panel aren't available.  My paint and body man found those through his supplier, but the anchor point underneath on the pinch weld required a stainless washer as a backup because the pinch weld hole is too large unless you can find the rivets that have the fingers that flare out. The mandrel needed for those rivets is larger than the common home garage pop-rivet gun can handle.   

The black nylon rivets are available at Fastenal.  They are bad to break when installing, so a kit with just enough won't be just enough.  They also need a special pop rivet gun. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:01:25 pm »
got my "special" rivet gun at Horrible Fright for less than $20

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:44:47 pm »
Fastenal has them too, but I don't know the cost.  Last I looked at one, it was identical to the one from The Fiero Store.  The one I have from TFS has a rivet hung in it and it's apparently bonded to the jaws inside. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 10:44:12 pm »
Fiero Jon is basically a reseller of Fiero Store parts.  Sometimes, from my experience, they are seconds.  I had a lot of difficulty in getting a refund. 

I don't know about the TFS thing.  I do know that he offers parts TFS does not sell.  He used to buy and strip Fieros, and still has many parts.  His prices are not cheap, because that was his living, for a while.  He now services Fieros (and other cars), and is selling off his parts.