Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Run For The Hills Future Event Planner  (Read 14045 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Run For The Hills Future Event Planner
« on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:31 pm »
I thought about putting this in the Members Only section but I thought that there might be non-paying members that would be interested.

I have breached this subject several times in the past year or two, so don't be surprised at what I'm going to say.

As my health declines, and I am more committed to my family and my physical abilities continue to diminish, I am less able to handle all of the responsibilities for our annual Run For The Hills.  I think all of us have been a little concerned at the small number of participants we've had over the past few years.  RFTH 25 was a true breath of fresh air.  I'm overjoyed at the number of participants, and returning and new participants.  I don't think RFTH is dead, yet.

Some of you younger and/or newer folks are going to have to take some responsibility for the event if it is to continue.  I know most of the roads within the areas we have used, mainly NE Georgia, Western NC, as far as Blowing Rock, Eastern Tennessee, and Northern South Carolina.  I am more than happy to provide mapping assistance for runs and restaurant and hotel advice within the areas we've previously used.  I'm also willing to take a day drive with you to look at roads. 

I have already mentally composed a route on some totally new roads for RFTH 26 but having never stayed overnight in that area, I'm not knowledgeable of hotels or restaurants, their availability or the mileage of a possible route. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
Re: Run For The Hills Future Event Planner
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:58:11 pm »
It did look like a goodn this year.  I guess it's all relative, at the height of the UK club I managed to get 3 Fieros together in the same place....and one of those was a great friend who I pestered into getting a Fiero.

I really hope that someone is able to take this on and hope that you remain healthy FF. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:00:33 pm »
First of all, I hope your health improves, Fierofool.  Secondly, thanks, again, for all you have put into RFTH over the years.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 06:18:10 pm »
Hopefully, this will be a topic for the October meeting.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 07:01:25 pm »
I hope this topic was covered.

This may be a good topic to pin.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 06:37:44 pm »
I’d like to sit down with you and discuss the logistics of RFTH. I might be able to take it on. I have been mapping out a different run for the spring. Toying with some ideas. Maybe weekend trip.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 06:45:28 pm »
I was going to suggest we get together this Saturday, but I just got my weekly schedule for my granddaughter.  I pick her up from school Thursday, Friday, and she will be with me all day Saturday.  The following week is our meeting, the 14th. 

If you have a route plotted out, send it to my email and let me see what you have. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 07:11:04 pm »
I’d like to sit down with you and discuss the logistics of RFTH. I might be able to take it on. I have been mapping out a different run for the spring. Toying with some ideas. Maybe weekend trip.

That would be great!

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 07:13:18 pm »
I was plotting a southern route. Maybe Run For The Coast

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 08:12:55 pm »
How many miles is too many for a two day drive?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 08:23:31 pm »
If you're asking is if would repeat this last weekend, probably not.  Don't mis-understand.  The look on Fierofool's face was worth it.  Maybe I should've waited until more people were there.

The 3-hour delay was just the unexpected bonus for which I wasn't looking.  The road destruction was not fun.  Driving over the deer, not fun.  The tour was fine.

The part you don't know, is that I took today off.  At least, I took it as a vacation day.  So, I planned to stay the night somewhere on the way home.  I drove straight through, and just as well I did.  About 6:30am, things started happening.  I worked 9.5 hours, today.  So much for vacation.

My trip was about 1,500 miles, total.  I did not get sore or fatigued, but some of that was through road destruction, at a snail's pace.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 09:02:24 pm »
 :o

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »
How many miles is too many for a two day drive?
I was plotting a southern route. Maybe Run For The Coast

The invent of RFTH was that Space Coast Fieros was looking for something more than sand dunes as a place to exercise a nice sport car.  They came to Helen, Ga. and subsequently found The Tail of The Dragon.  They enjoyed the curves so much that it became a yearly trek to the mountainous area of the southeast.  That's what RFTH is about so it might be best to keep RFTH in the mountains.

This is from our Club History tab:

"Our club's most outstanding organized event is its annual "Run For The Hills" weekend held on the third weekend of September.  The idea originated in 1995 at the Gulf Coast Fiero Weekend, when a group of Florida Fiero owners decided to go in search of something higher than a sand dune.  For the first few years the event sponsorship rotated between the Alabama, Space Coast, and Georgia Fiero clubs.  Eventually, the event was offered to the Georgia Fiero Club as its sole host and sponsor.

Each year the event has grown and attracts participants from many parts of the Eastern United States, and on occasion, as far away as Texas, California, and even Australia.  Since starting as a weekend road trip in the hills, the event has become an event that embraces a thrilling drive through the mountains and valleys of the Southeastern US."

We have done a trip to Tybee Island before.  Georgia Fiero icon Don Hulse had never been to the coast and a trip was set up with hotel arrangements.  As it ended up, only Don and I and my brother attended.  A weekend coastal trip as a summer venture would probably be a good event.  Just as long as it's not when all those college kids are there.  Set it up similar to RFTH.  Arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday morning. 

Our RFTH event isn't really a 3 day event.  It's just 1 day.  Some locals come in Saturday morning, do the run with us and then go home.  As with this year, we arrive on Friday, do the actual run on Saturday, and return home on Sunday.  The mileage for the run is kind of controlled by the need to get checked in at our Saturday hotel and get to our restaurant on time. 

Getting checked in isn't a factor when we start and end at the same hotel.  I think I've only done 3 events that we started in one place and ended in another.  Once from Clayton to Gatlinburg, once from Dawsonville to Gatlinburg, and once from Clayton to Asheville.
 When we make a loop and return to the same place, we have a little leeway in making the run more than 200 miles long.  Usually the runs average about 175 miles. 

This year, my original route was just over 250 miles, but because we couldn't reach Gatlinburg in time to check in and get to Calhoun's in time, we cut out 30 miles and shortened another 15 with a different route. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:17:36 pm by Fierofool »

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 09:22:26 pm »
My intent was not to replace RFTH but to also have a scenic leisure drive.