Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Max tire width??!  (Read 14116 times)

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
Max tire width??!
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:58 am »
What is the max tire width without modification or scrubbing?
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Max tire width??!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 09:30:35 am »
I have run as large as 245/45-17s on the rear of my car. Largest I have run on the front is 215/45-17, but there should be room for larger.
Lots of people run larger, but I can't speak to how they accomplished it. My sizes will work with stock, or slightly lowered 88 suspensions. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 09:44:31 am »
The 88 is a little more forgiving of tire width on the rear due to the changed angle of the rear struts.  With 15 R60 series, you should b able to run up to about a 255.  If yu went to a higher series like R70 or R75, you could go even bigger.  The front of the 88 might encounter scrubbing due to the changed offset of the front hubs and you are limited by the smaller width of the stock rims, so probably a 215 R60 on the front. 

There is a chart somewhere.  If I can find it I'll edit it into this post.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143847.html

I found the wheel offset chart but since I don't have permission to repost it (can't contact the author) I'll send it to you in an email.

I would strongly suggest that you stay away from spacers.  They can put some very heavy stresses on wheel bearings and hubs, as well as on the lug bolts. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
The 88 is a little more forgiving of tire width on the rear due to the changed angle of the rear struts. 

The next place of interference on the 88 rear is the trailing link that goes from the bottom of the knuckle to the front of the cradle.

I like to read fieroguru's threads on Pennocks. He's done more with the 88 suspension than probably anyone else. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 10:53:07 am »
How should the offset numbers go if you want to move the wheel outward?  Do they go up or down from stock? 

Never mind.  I see by looking at Joe Torma's chart that as the numbers go up, the center of the wheel moves outward away from the hub.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 11:31:46 am »
How should the offset numbers go if you want to move the wheel outward?  Do they go up or down from stock? 

Never mind.  I see by looking at Joe Torma's chart that as the numbers go up, the center of the wheel moves outward away from the hub.

On the face of it, it sounds bass-ackwards. But yeah. A "more positive" offset moves the hub mounting surface towards the outside edge of the wheel. Referenced to the centerline of the wheel.
Not to be confused with "backspacing", which is just an absolute measurement between the hub mounting surface and the rear edge of the wheel. Totally ignores the width of the wheel, how far it sticks out, and etc.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 01:06:43 pm »
I think you will find this chart helpful.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 01:16:00 pm »
Found another one, but it doesn't have the 1988 front fender line.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 01:58:51 pm »
The one by Joe Torma is the one I found that I wouldn't post because I didn't have permission.  Ralph found the updated version.  I think that's what you've posted. 

This comes up from time to time and I think we need to get permission to put it into Fiero Documents or someplace.  Also, I've been unable to find the archived FieroSails website. 

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 02:08:26 pm »
Here are some wheels I fell in love with.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 02:25:39 pm »
Personally, I like straighter spokes.  They don't look like they're running backward on one side like some angled spokes.  Can you get those in staggered sizes?  Some dealers won't sell them that way.  I believe Tire Rack will if that's where you're getting them. 

I don't know if they still offer it, but they have authorized installers that charge less for mounting, balancing, and installing.  Firestone stores was one of the places.  I think Tire Rack also now offers free shipping on most items. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 04:10:23 pm »
Joe Torma's page has been reposted so many times that it's probably (or should be) considered public domain.
I would just give credit where credit is due and offer to remove if the author requests. (I see that it has been posted already. I don't think he minds.)

Edit - I believe the updated chart is incorrect in several areas, regarding the stock wheels.
1. The 14" "high tech" wheels are all 14x6 - Base, SE, Indy, and 85 GT. (Joe Torma's chart shows them to be 35mm offset.)
2. The lace wheels are either 15x7, with 30mm offset; or 15x6 for the 88 front, only. (Joe's chart shows the 15x6 offset to be 37mm.)
I am inclined to believe Joe's chart. Many people contributed to the information contained there. It was pretty much "beat to death", and corrections made on an ongoing basis. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:25:43 pm by Raydar »