Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 87-88 Headlight Module  (Read 13835 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
Re: 87-88 Headlight Module
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:22:18 pm »
I just ordered now motors today from rock auto.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:28:57 pm »
The Fiero Store was selling modules for $675 but I think they were NOS.  If you order from eBay, I'd connect it as soon as I got it to be sure it's the correct module and works.  That style module was used on into the '90s but had a different electronic circuitry.    I grabbed several from Firebirds at PullAPart and they were for the later year and wouldn't work, though they would plug in. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 05:47:29 pm »
This is on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1989-Firebird-Trans-Am-Fiero-Headlamp-Light-Module-Relay-GM-16523917/271404651925

The module claims to fit '84-'89 Firebird, Trans Am, and Fiero, but not my '88.  Odd.

Price is good, though.

I thought I had posted about those, a while back.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 07:04:55 pm »
This is what is in the description of the link I posted.  It appears to be the 87 and 88 headlight module.  It is incorrect that it states it will also fit the 84-86 Fiero.  As I suggested, if ordering one, immediately plug it into your system to be sure it works.  Don't put it on the shelf until needed and find out it's not the right one. 

The sellers application description:
OE Style Replaces GM # 16523917. 1987-1989 Firebird Trans Am / 1984-1988 Fiero. Door Opening Head lamp Module Relay. This item is sold individually only. About The Parts Place The Parts Place Inc. has been serving the muscle car industry since 1990, taking care of the past and present to preserve the future.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »
The 3 modules I have in the garage are identical to the one shown in my link.  I know one of them worked until it got water inside due to my shortcut mounting.  None of the 3 have any part number on them.  The only markings are the pinout letter designations and the word GUIDE. 

Edit:  The 3 modules aren't identical to the one shown.  The one shown doesn't have GUIDE cast into the case.  Also, the area between the terminals is flat on the 3 I have while the one shown is raised.  That may be an identifier when purchasing or pulling from a yard car.  But, I do see an image showing a later model Corvette with a similar module as the Fiero module.  Supposedly there were some Corvettes that did use the same one, but the listed part number according to the P22 is GM 16505400.  Found a used one at $250.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:06:22 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 07:49:16 pm »
How do those compare to the one that doesn't work?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 08:08:39 pm »
I can't compare the 3 I have to the ones in my cars.  The differences in what I have and what is shown in my link are noted above.  Terminals look the same, but the housing has some differences.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 08:11:23 pm »
I pulled one from an '88 Fiero.  It worked in that Fiero, but I have not tested in my Fiero.