Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Question on cradle bolt holes  (Read 4868 times)

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
Question on cradle bolt holes
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:02:47 am »
On your drivers side,  the rear cradle bolt is rusted in, i did try to drill it out but i know i am going to damage the hole and the nut and whats hold. I was told to cut access to the nut,  cause od only having electric welding access and not good at, i wanted to know how to get acess to that nut and if i have to cut , exactly where to cut
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Question on cradle bolt holes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 07:53:30 am »
These are what was used in my 86.   http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.php?products_id=304  It comes with full instructions on where and how much to cut.  There is actually no need to weld it in.  The nuts are locking nuts and won't turn loose when properly torqued.  The plates are long enough that they won't rotate within the frame rail. 

On the side of the rail, cut horizontally, about 1/8" up from the edge.  Make the horizontal cut just a little shorter than the length of the plate that the replacement is welded to.  Then cut vertically from the ends of that cut so as to make a flap that you can bend upward.  It must be enough to insert the repair piece into the frame rail.   

With the cut made, you can chisel the old nut loose and remove it.  Raise the cradle up to the frame rail, insert the repair piece and install the new bolt.  Bend the flap back down and spray the cut with a good paint to prevent rusting. 

You might ask Rodney to email a copy of the installation instructons to see what's involved before ordering. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:11:06 am »
This is the other style of cradle nuts he offers.  Installation is a little more involved, but the basic process is the same for both.
http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.php?products_id=276

He illustrates cutting the flap so that it bends downward.  The guys in the club that installed mine cut so that the flap bent upward.  I think that was the best way so that the sharp edges of the flap are up and out of the way while you work.  Of course, the opening for the other style doesn't need to be as large.  If it dries up enough, I can go out and measure the width of the opening you will need to cut. 

If you wanted to weld the flap closed, a couple pieces of metal over the cuts could be welded in place rather than trying to bridge the cuts. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:54 am »
Topics asking questions should be placed in the "Tech tips, tech questions" section. This section (Expert tech advice) should only be used if you have some expert advice to share with the Fiero community.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 10:07:42 am »
I actually have this same issue on my 87 GT project. I have the Rodney kit and awaiting time to do it. But it is very strait forward.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:13:13 am »
Can you copy the instructions and email them to me?  I'll post them in jpg format. 

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 10:23:23 am »
Sure! ill be getting my scanner/printer setup today and ill find time to scan them for ya.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 12:04:34 pm »
If you can go ahead and scan it to a jpg file and email it, it would probably make it easier for me.  I'm having problems with my system not communicating with my printer or scanner and it seems all downloads are blocked.  I'm being charged monthly for an app that I couldn't download when I purchased it.  They won't cancel.  Pat, HELP!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 12:47:29 pm »
I can't convert the PDF to a jpg and the file is too large to post, so I'll email it to you, Allan. 

The file is for the larger of the repair parts.  It's more involved than the smaller version.  Basically, you want to measure up 20mm from the bottom the rail and make a horizontal cut the same length as the base of the smaller cradle nut repair piece.  Then cut upward from each end for a distance of 50mm.  You can then chisle the old nut loose and the repair piece will easily insert into the frame rail.  As I poreviously said, there's no need to weld the cradle nut in place.  It won't spin within the frame rail.  Also by not welding it, it will easily align with the cradle bolt when you insert it. 

If anyone can convert a PDF to a jpg file, let me know and we'll post the conversion here. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:09:46 pm »
If anyone can convert a PDF to a jpg file, let me know and we'll post the conversion here.
I can.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 05:51:32 pm »
File sent. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 11:09:46 pm »
Maybe someone can re-do this with better drawings.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:14:09 pm by TopNotch »

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 12:17:28 am »
This is the other style of cradle nuts he offers.  Installation is a little more involved, but the basic process is the same for both.
http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.php?products_id=276

He illustrates cutting the flap so that it bends downward.  The guys in the club that installed mine cut so that the flap bent upward.  I think that was the best way so that the sharp edges of the flap are up and out of the way while you work.  Of course, the opening for the other style doesn't need to be as large.  If it dries up enough, I can go out and measure the width of the opening you will need to cut. 

If you wanted to weld the flap closed, a couple pieces of metal over the cuts could be welded in place rather than trying to bridge the cuts.

Ordered these today
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 09:49:55 am »
These are what was used in my 86.
  http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.php?products_id=304  It comes with full instructions on where and how much to cut.  There is actually no need to weld it in.  The nuts are locking nuts and won't turn loose when properly torqued.  The plates are long enough that they won't rotate within the frame rail. 

On the side of the rail, cut horizontally, about 1/8" up from the edge.  Make the horizontal cut just a little shorter than the length of the plate that the replacement is welded to.  Then cut vertically from the ends of that cut so as to make a flap that you can bend upward.  It must be enough to insert the repair piece into the frame rail.   

With the cut made, you can chisel the old nut loose and remove it.  Raise the cradle up to the frame rail, insert the repair piece and install the new bolt.  Bend the flap back down and spray the cut with a good paint to prevent rusting. 

You might ask Rodney to email a copy of the installation instructons to see what's involved before ordering.
I get an email today and saw that Rodney has not send the mounting brackets yet. Due to not wanting to send it at a higher postage cost.  I 5ang him and told him just to send it anyway.  I can't get the parts here
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275