Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Where to Paint ?  (Read 15263 times)

jagonza

• View Profile
Where to Paint ?
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:57:05 am »
looking for places to get a decent ( not show quality - just good average quality) , in the area. anybody had any luck ??

oldone

• View Profile
Re: Where to Paint ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »
I'M LOOKING FOR THE EXACT SAME THING BUT HAVEN'T  HAD MUCH LUCK. EITHER TO EXPENSIVE OR I DON'T FEEL MUCH CONFIDENCE IN THE PAINTER. JUST LIKE A DECENT EVERYDAY DRIVER PAINT JOB THAT I CAN AFFORD.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »
There was a woman who came to our club meetings a time or two who had a gold SE with a very nice paint job on it. She said she got it painted at Midway Collision in Fayetteville (ph, 770-969-9437). I can't remember what she paid, but it seemed very reasonable.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »
There are several Maacos that do good work (& a lot that don't - check with previous customers), but it's best if you do the sanding yourself - & that's the hard part.
I don't know; maybe I should start doing "scuff & douche" jobs (as a previous boss called them) myself. I know I could do them better than Maaco, but they would cost more too. I would still insist on using PPG epoxy primer for longevity, but cheaper paint (Dupont Nason) than I usually use (PPG or Sikkens) works fine for daily drivers - I have it on my BMW ( http://angelonearth.net/BMW.html ). That would save about $500 to $600. The biggest savings would be in the prep. Instead of completely dis-assembling the car, a "scuff & douche" means you tape it up, sand it, & shoot it. Of course, it would still need to be sanded & buffed to look right.
It still wouldn't be near Maaco's price, but I could do them a lot cheaper than my usual $3500 +.
What does everyone think?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Which do you most can't the least?
What I most can't the least, would be do not a bad job but always a good.