Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Ray's Car Runs Like A Deer....  (Read 17682 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Ray's Car Runs Like A Deer....
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
A John Deer.    Putt..........Putt, Putt.........Putt............Putt.......Putt, Putt, Putt.   

Starts well when cold and runs great, but once it's warm and turned off, it is very hard to start.  Sounds like it's trying to run on 2 or 3 cylinders.  It may or may not eventually start to run on all cylinders, if it starts at all.  If it stays running long enough to start firing on all cylinders, it will again run great until it's turned off.  If it's left to cool down, it will again start and run well.  No black smoke from the exhaust as if it were flooded.  I pulled the #3 plug and it had fire the last time I had to go rescue him.  Didn't check any of the others, though. 

I like to give folks here a chance before I go hit up the PFF people.  Anyone have some ideas of the cause?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ray's Car Runs Like A Deer....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »
Leaking injectors?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:03 am »
I say it would be the fuel pressure just thought about it and remembered i had a saturn that did the same thing when we changed the fuel filter not enough pressor got to it so had to rev the nuts off it to get the fuel going again lol. Could be that the fuel pump went bad and is not pushing out enough pressure until it has been run for a while to fill the lines very slowly. So check that first and see what that says.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:29:37 am by Spartanzz »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25:15 am »
Would leaking injectors act this way only when hot?  We changed the fuel filter and Oh2 sensor but it didn't help.  It actually sounds like it's trying to run on one bank of injectors.  I was leaning toward it being the fuel pump overheating but we'd like to eliminate all other possibilities before going that route. 

It doesn't seem to be flooding when it does this.  Holding the accelerator to the floor and cranking still results in the putt, putt, putt firing. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »
i dont think the injectors would do that only at certain times. If the eak they leak thats it. But i would try what rodger said to try and see if that helps you find it. If not then like i said there is a possability it culd be the fuel pump but do all the tests first ;)

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »
mine did the same thing about 5 or 6 months ago.  It was the fuel pump.. changed it and problem went away

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
Just for grins... Unplug the Cold Start injector or the Cold Start Switch connector.

I sort of doubt that this is the problem, based upon the lack of smoke, but it's free to try. :D

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:09 am »
We're going to try for the fuel pump.  He's having a Bosch pump installed sometime this weekend.  Anyone have any experience with the Bosch pumps?  I've heard some comments that the boot at the bottom doesn't fit properly and the original boot needs to be used. 

The reason for using this is that it was originally purchased to feed a V8, but wasn't capable so it was removed right away.  Getting it at a real bargain. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:41:34 pm »
Thumbs up to Chaz and Jerry.  We tried some of the other suggestions, but they didn't solve the problem.  We took the car to Lee and he put the fuel pressure gauge on it.  There was no leak down after 10-15 minutes.

Key on only gave it 30-35 psi after multiple key on no start tries.  After starting, the pressure was no better, so he had Lee replace the fuel pump with a Bosch pump.  Pressure immediately went up to about 44 psi at first key on. 

Ray drove it back from Loganville to Auburn, then drove from Auburn to Griffin via Loganville, Social Circle, Conley, McDonough and High Falls.  Drove around the Griffin area for the day then returned to Auburn with no problems at all.  The surging at road speeds is gone, the hunt idle is gone, and the putt, putt, putt is gone.  Initially, this looks like a failing fuel pump was the problem.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:49 pm »
Glad he's back on the road

\D
Life is good!

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:10:30 am »
i agree! Glad the car is back up and running :)

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
Thumbs up to Chaz and Jerry.  We tried some of the other suggestions, but they didn't solve the problem.  We took the car to Lee and he put the fuel pressure gauge on it.  There was no leak down after 10-15 minutes.

Key on only gave it 30-35 psi after multiple key on no start tries.  After starting, the pressure was no better, so he had Lee replace the fuel pump with a Bosch pump.  Pressure immediately went up to about 44 psi at first key on. 

Ray drove it back from Loganville to Auburn, then drove from Auburn to Griffin via Loganville, Social Circle, Conley, McDonough and High Falls.  Drove around the Griffin area for the day then returned to Auburn with no problems at all.  The surging at road speeds is gone, the hunt idle is gone, and the putt, putt, putt is gone.  Initially, this looks like a failing fuel pump was the problem.

So what you are saying is. Ray went on a cruse in his Fiero around Ga. ????
Glad to see you back on the road again.   
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »
His daughter lives in Griffin.  To him, that route is the shortest.  And I should have said Conyers instead of Conley. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »
I wonder how a bad fuel pump would make an L4 react...

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 07:20:55 pm »
I'm wondering, too.