Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel pressure tap for TBI cars  (Read 19696 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fuel pressure tap for TBI cars
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:45:51 am »
The Ogre mentions the Actron fuel pressure tap on his site, but says he hasn't tested it. I got one and installed it on my 88 coupe. It looks like this:

The schrader valve can be rotated to any angle after you install it.
You can get these directly from Actron for about 8 bucks. Or you can get them in a kit with a pressure gauge for about 40-60 bucks (shop around -- I got mine from Amazon for less than 40 bucks).
You have to do a little creative bending of the fuel lines to get it in. Use a tubing bender to avoid crimping the lines.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pressure tap for TBI cars
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:15 am »
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:04:59 am »
I don't need one at the moment but I may need one sometime  8) and the price is right, so I ordered one. :)  The add says free shipping but they get you with a handling charge and an area delivery charge but it is still a good deal.
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:06:17 pm »
Paul,

Try this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Sunpro/885/CP7817/10002/-1
Thanks Roger. These are around $50 everywhere else.  I'll have to get it when I get a chance to put the money on my prepaid card.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »
i'm no mechanic what is it, i don't remember seeing one of those on my cars.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:06:16 am »
It's a kit with a T fitting to check fuel pressure. Dukes don't come with them but the V6's do.  I got one & my Indy showed ZERO fuel pressure! Updating my thread on my progress now: http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1199.0
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:05 am »
Be certain that any hose you use is 'E85' compatable and that the one that goes inside the tank can be submerged in fuel.

That soft hose you mentioned would likely collapse with suction from the pump. As for the venting, if you don't have any, a new pump and hoses won't do any good. These emissions systems are closed/sealed so, if there is no venting in you won't get anything (gas) out.
Check from the charcoal canister to the tank. There is a valve in the top of the cannister that may have stuck. Other things to check would be pinched return lines/hoses. The filter at the bottom of the canister is rarely an issue but I wouldn't leave it unchecked.

Since you have the tank off and an air compressor handy, 90 PSI should find the problem!

Even if the pump looks new it could be bad. Figure in how many miles on the engine to estimated MPG and you start to get an idea of how many gallons that little thing has pumped. A bench test will answer this but be mindful of any sparks that would cause an even bigger problem.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:37 pm »
Be certain that any hose you use is 'E85' compatable and that the one that goes inside the tank can be submerged in fuel.

That soft hose you mentioned would likely collapse with suction from the pump. As for the venting, if you don't have any, a new pump and hoses won't do any good. These emissions systems are closed/sealed so, if there is no venting in you won't get anything (gas) out.
Check from the charcoal canister to the tank. There is a valve in the top of the cannister that may have stuck. Other things to check would be pinched return lines/hoses. The filter at the bottom of the canister is rarely an issue but I wouldn't leave it unchecked.

Since you have the tank off and an air compressor handy, 90 PSI should find the problem!

Even if the pump looks new it could be bad. Figure in how many miles on the engine to estimated MPG and you start to get an idea of how many gallons that little thing has pumped. A bench test will answer this but be mindful of any sparks that would cause an even bigger problem.
The hose is on the pressure side of the pump. I'm thinking it would just loose pressure when the lines are hooked up - it did pump a full hose of fuel when it (the fuel line going to the filter) was disconnected. Wish I had a way to pressure test the pump out of the car...
Thanks Roger.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »
If you're getting zero pressure on the tap, maybe your pump isn't running at all. To test it out of the car, just immerse the bottom in some kind of fluid (kerosine would be good for this -- I don't recommend gasoline) and connect 12v to it. If fluid squirts out of the output, it is working.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:34 am »
If you're getting zero pressure on the tap, maybe your pump isn't running at all. To test it out of the car, just immerse the bottom in some kind of fluid (kerosine would be good for this -- I don't recommend gasoline) and connect 12v to it. If fluid squirts out of the output, it is working.
It would pump a full hose of gas when I emptied the tank.  Emptied 3 gallons pretty quickly.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts