Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: so...ball joints...  (Read 19901 times)

Spartanzz

• View Profile
so...ball joints...
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:55 pm »
Ok as I told many of you I need to replace my ball joints asap. I should be getting them in the mail and I have tried to call lee for the past fre days with no answer....my upper ball joints have Ben replaced before so those two will be easy but, my lower ones both are still rivoted in. Does any somewhat close have the tools get the rivets out so that I can replace then asap and get my alignment set finally? I'm kind of broke so I can't really pay anyone to do it as long as I can get the old rivets out I should be good getting the new ball joints in and it never hurts to someone keeping an eye on what I'm doing to make sire I don't screw anything up ;)

Donster

• View Profile
Re: so...ball joints...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:20 pm »
Won't a drill and bit work??
That's how we got them off of the 84

\D
Life is good!

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »
Yeah would work fine just have to drill/grind them out won't take long at all

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
Well, if you don't have a drill, bit or jack & stands, I think I can oblige ;D
\D
Life is good!

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:32 pm »
Ok I will give you a call this week once I get then. Also if you replace the front shocks will it mess with the alignment like the rear or are you good just replacing them and not worrying about it?

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »
Ok I will give you a call this week once I get then. Also if you replace the front shocks will it mess with the alignment like the rear or are you good just replacing them and not worrying about it?

You wold need to ask somebody else, as we have only replaced them on an 88 (Roger actually did it for Shanine's car) and it doesn't require a new alignment. Don't know how it is on 84-87 though.
\D
Life is good!

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
Ok because if it does require it then I'll just wait till I can buy the socks that way I save headaches later

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »
No, shocks won't mess up your alignment. Just get it lined up after the balljoints, & if everything else is OK, you'll be good to go. ;)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »
Well only catch is I may have to wait till I get the kit I ordered from fireo stock with the alignment washers because guy at ntb told me I needed those as well as nee ball joints so yeah...probably shouldnt do them till I get that and am able to get to the shop asap.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »
You can drill the rivets out or using a grinding stone in a drill, you can grind the heads off then knock them out with a punch.  You can also use a cold chisel and hammer and knock the heads off.  As Paul said, front shocks don't affect alignment.  They're independent of any adjustment to the suspension. 

I've also got a jack and jack stands.  Let me know when you plan to do it.  If I'm clear, I'll work with you.  Then if you have time maybe you can help me when I change out the ones on the 86. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »
well Lee finally answered his phone...He said i would ahve to wait till the weekend and his exact words are "Beacause you dont know what you will run into with those ball joints" To anyone who has done them before, Since i only need to worry about drilling out the bottom ones would it really be that hard to do them? Or are they pretty straight foward?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »
Ball joints aren't too hard to do. I changed a lower (front) ball joint on my 88 coupe. On 88's, the ball joints are pressed in, so I had to take off the control arm, take it somewhere to have the old one pressed out and the new one pressed in. Then I re-installed the arm. I used a Rodney Dickman ball joint. His 88 version has a snap ring to hold it in place in case the press fit doesn't hold.
I'm thinking of getting a bench press from Harbor Freight, so if I have to do another, I can do the pressing myself.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:16:57 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »
ok so would my 86 be pressed in as well? I know i can do my upped pretty easily since they have been replaced before. And if its easy to do the lower (besides having to get the rivets out) ill just do it at charlies.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
The lower ball joints are welded in.  If you ordered Rodney's, he states on his website that his replacements come with a snap ring to hold them in place, but they can be welded for a better hold.  They must be pressed out and in.  Ball joint presses are available that you don't need to remove the control arm.  It can be done right on the car.  That's how Lee does them. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »
yeah i can get the press in tool from work one day if needed. But, that tool should be able to get the lower out correct? Or does it have to be persuaded?