Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Emissions?  (Read 18448 times)

Tinton

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Emissions?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »
My birthday is tomorrow, so my registration is expiring. My 88GT is 24 years old, about to be 25 in 2 weeks. If I just wait 2-3 weeks until January, then register it, will it be for 2013 and I'll be paying back registration for 2012? Or can I not register it for 2013 until around my birthday next year? A friend of mine did something like this with his car but didn't explain it very well.

"Additionally, vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emission testing. This includes 1987 or older model year vehicles. If you are late renewing your registration for your birthday in 2012, your vehicle will be tested according to the 2012 rules. ""

Does that answer my own question? It seems like, according to the rules, they'd just count it as late, charge me a late fee and test me according to 2012's rules?

But that gives me another question. What if I register it as non-op for 2012? Then in a month or 2, attempt to register it as op for 2013?

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: Emissions?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »
You're talking about the state government. You will either have to pay the penalty or pay for emissions one more year. Catch 22.
You could even use the excuse that '88 models were released in '87 so in effect, it would be 25 years old. They ain't gonna buy that either.
My guess would be that you find out what the $$$ difference is between one more year of emissions and a late registration fee. Even with the late registration they may still require you to get it smog tested.
The state is not going to lose on this 'cash cow'.
 :(
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Tinton

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:54:21 pm »
They do it on a yearly basis, so for 2012, 1987 and older have been emissions exempt. Once January hits, 2013 registration will take effect and 1988 and older will be exempt. What I'm wondering is if there's some way to just register it next year. From what I've heard, you have to pay back tax on it and late fees, but that would only be around $40/year of back tax and about $20 in late fees. It would cost a lot more to just get emissions equipment to pass once.

So I was wondering if I could register it as non-operational, which doesn't require emissions, then register it next year and they might use 2013 rules? In that case I wouldn't need emissions?

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:39:41 am »
OUCH!
You might be better off with the 'I forgot' ploy (Christmas, my birthday, football Bowl games, New Years, my financial situation; etc.) and pay the fine.
I find it hard to believe that you're having problems getting you Fiero to pass emissions. They are usually not too hard to get to meet specs.

Good luck with whatever road you take.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:43:31 am »
So I was wondering if I could register it as non-operational, which doesn't require emissions, then register it next year and they might use 2013 rules? In that case I wouldn't need emissions?

Yes you can. You'll still have to pay the taxes, but not the registration. I've been doing that with my Formula that doesn't run.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tinton

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »

Yes you can. You'll still have to pay the taxes, but not the registration. I've been doing that with my Formula that doesn't run.

Yeah, so I wouldn't even pay back taxes next year right? But, could I let's say, register as non-op now for 2012, then in January register it as op and have it be for 2013? That would get me around emissions.

Roger, my 88GT doesn't have a cat or EGR. I could get a $50 ebay cat and slap it on, but then there's still the issue of my headers not having a provision for an EGR valve. Don mentioned he did something like this with 1 of his cars, so I'm hoping I can just figure out a way to just register it next year and not have to mess around with emissions equipment. Since there's technically only 2 more weeks that 88 Fieros have to pass emissions.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »
If the taxes are paid up, you won't have any trouble registering it next year. And you don't have to have insurance on it while it's not running either. But you'll have to insure it next year.
If your birthday has passed since it was last registered, you may owe a late penalty in addition to the taxes for this year.
Just tell the tag office that the car is not running, but you want to make the taxes current for now.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:13 am »
I always understood that if the car was not tagged because it didn't run, and then becomes too old to require emissions, that it still has to pass that one time, in order to be tagged.

I have a friend who used to run an emissions business. I'll ask him.
What county do you live in? Might not need it anyway.

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
In SC they don't check for emmisions but they do for ommisions, such as cat, etc.
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Tinton

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:59:19 am »
I always understood that if the car was not tagged because it didn't run, and then becomes too old to require emissions, that it still has to pass that one time, in order to be tagged.

I have a friend who used to run an emissions business. I'll ask him.
What county do you live in? Might not need it anyway.

Paulding?

Steve, Don did something like this, its why I was wondering. I've been trying to get in contact with him to ask about it.

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:23 pm »
Try this site:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/motor.aspx

Paulding is a metro-Atlanta county so emissions are required.

If Don Hulse found a way, that's the way to go.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:16:56 pm »
Paulding?

Steve, Don did something like this, its why I was wondering. I've been trying to get in contact with him to ask about it.

Didn't realize that you were in Paulding too. Thought you were way out in the sticks.

Tinton

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17:07 pm »
Paulding?

Didn't realize that you were in Paulding too. Thought you were way out in the sticks.

Are you being sarcastic? lol.

And I guess I'll get in touch with Don and see what he says.

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »
If Don doesn't have the parts you need to get it to pass, try Tha Driver.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:10 am »

Are you being sarcastic? lol.

And I guess I'll get in touch with Don and see what he says.

Didn't mean to be. I live in Paulding. Barely. I can throw a rock and hit Douglas County.
I was thinking you lived in Bartow or further north. Forgot how far Paulding extended.

I have a Rodney cat if you want to buy it. Only a few hundred miles on it.
As for the missing EGR, you might get away with out it. Back your timing off a few degrees, and add a gallon of Naphtha to a tank of premium gas. My 4.9 had EGR, which the Allante intake deleted. It still passed, using the methods above.
There are tons of "failed with high NOX" (i.e. bad EGR) threads on Pennocks.

If your ECM is still tuned for EGR, that's a whole 'nother issue.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:45:55 am by Raydar »