Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Anyone know of a good free CD ripper & burner software?  (Read 16971 times)

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
Anyone know of a good free CD ripper & burner software?
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:56:30 am »
I just installed a burner (the old one quit) in this 'puter. The old box I was using for CD copy just didn't cut it (too slow & too many buffer overruns). So I'm looking for new software.
On an unrelated note: does anyone have a *copy* of XP Professional? I just need a copy as I have a computer with it & have the key, but it won't boot up (I want to re-load it).
Thanks,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Anyone know of a good free CD ripper & burner software?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:04:44 am »
Paul, go to www.majorgeeks.com  You can find a number of programs there for burning CD's.  I have Roxio, but I wouldn't say it's a good burning program.  I bought an advanced edition of Roxio, and it would lock up on download, even when talking with their tech support.  They couldn't work me through it, and with Roxio, any Contact Us link sends you to an automated system.  The way I got through to a live person was to call their sales number and get them to transfer me.

At Major Geeks, go to the search box and enter CD Burner.  There's a program called XP4 that I had on my old hard drive.  It worked very well.  While you're there, look around at some of the other freeware.  Get yourself some virus protection and a firewall program.  We use AVG, ParetoLogic, Reg-Cure, Ad-Watch and Ad-Aware, all free from Major Geeks.  We had Spyware Doctor that we purchased, but had problems and discontinued it in favor of the free version.

I've always downloaded from the Florida servers, without problem.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:21 pm »
A good free CD ripper is CDex, which you can get here. And you can burn with many free programs, like Itunes, Winamp, or Real player.
You can't use someone else's Windows XP disk to re-install XP on your computer. Each Windows XP CD has it's own key, and the all-seeing, all-knowing gods at Microsoft know if it's already been installed on a computer. The only way it will work is on a computer that is not online. You can install it on as many of those as you want to.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:25:19 pm »
Thanks guys: I'll check into those programs.
I don't plan to EVER use the XP machine online. You know that it contains mickysoft spyware, right?
So a copy will work fine for me.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:20 am »
WELL....
I downloaded Cdex, & it does rip audio - but it ONLY saves it as wav or mp3.
I also downloaded & installed Winamp, Final Burner, & Ashampoo Burning studio 6. Not a single one of them will burn - not even as mp3s.
Couldn't find XP4...
BTW: for a name like Major Geeks their website sucks! They have a bottom scrollbar, & their "search engine" is actually a link that uses google, & searches EVERY FILE ON THEIR WEBSITE. No way to just search for software.
Guess I'll stick with FreewareHome. Time to check there yet again to see if I can find SOMETHING that will make a CD that I can play ON A CD PLAYER. No luck so far, though.
What I really need is a CD COPIER. After having OVER 300 CDs STOLEN I just want to copy them & put them up where the damn theives can't find them.
Maybe I can swap the harddrive in the old computer (with the copy software) into a faster machine.
Any more suggestions are appreciated.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:35:53 am »
I went to the site, put in CD burner, clicked MajorGeeks then search and this was at the very top.  XP Pro Version 4

http://majorgeeks.com/download4242.html 

I don't know if it's what you want or not.  Look it over.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:42:32 am »
I found a completely free CD copier that works well, called InfraRecorder. You can get it here. And I tested it by copying a Windows XP disk, which I'll send to you if you give me a mailing address.
Edit: Don't use the use the UberDownloads.com link at the top to download this. Use the link on the right side. The UberDownloads version has a lot of extra crap attached, which you have to Decline during the install process.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:51:18 am by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:38:55 pm »
Tried InfaRecorder - didn't work.
Found Audio CD Copier at download.com. Worked so far 1 out 4 times...
Thanks,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"