Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Convertible Fieros  (Read 17431 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Convertible Fieros
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:38 pm »

F85gtron showed me the Fiero Store 2014 calendar, which happens to have a beautiful silver convertible. I've seen convertible Fieros on ebay and a few other places and always wondered how well they worked.  I've had a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire convertible which didn't like rough roads and a solid 2011 Mustang convertible. 

As far as I know the Fiero was never designed to be a convertible.  Most vehicles, when their top is cut off, shake themselves apart. My question is, how much do Fiero convertibles shake and how structurally compromised are they?  Anyone know of a conversion they can tell about?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Convertible Fieros
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:01:16 pm »
There were several conversion kits available over the years.  Some good, some bad.  Holland Pontiac bought a bunch of 87's and had them professionally converted and those seem to have been well done.  Other range from poor quality professional conversions to well done private conversions.  CowsPatoot, Georgia Fiero Vice President has one.  You might ask him for his opinion and observations. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:14 am »
i see where this is going..... Paul, it's this your price to get back in the game?  ;)
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:34 pm »

Nah, just trying to keep from being forgotten. 
Still haven't heard from State Farm and I can't motivate myself to call them 20 minutes before they close.

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:29:21 pm »
This is not so much about convertibles as it is concerning yourrecent  bout wiith a brute of a truck. Hated to see the car have to go to highway heaven, but thank the good Lord the girls came out algright. I had some hands on  work on this car, the alt. right axle shaft assy. misc.small repairs, as a mechanic on these fieros for 20yrs, I can voutch for the pre-wreck con .of the car. The power train is well worth putting in another chaisse. I can be of any help just contact me @aerodonamic@att.net  In regards to convribles the key to a good conversion is in thesub -frame that is welded to the undercarrige , the good ones that I have seen use 1inch square tubing sub frames with no stress problems.      \                                           

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:21:45 am »
would it be better to start with a notchie or a fast back? and, inn my head, it looks like you could take the top from a solstice and put it right on there...i wonder if the solstice Windows would fit into our doors?. .things that make you go hmmm?.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:16:03 am »
That substructure should be designed to be removable so that you can remove the fuel tank and any other underbody lines that may need replaced. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:31 pm »
Looks like this topic may be taking off. 

Thanks aerodonamic for the car info.  I'm about to post more info in Missing Fiero.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:03 pm »
At one time, you could buy a frame like these pictures, for bracing a Fiero to make a convertible. This one was on Ebay a few years ago.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:14 am »
Although anyone at the last couple Run For The Hills will attest, I do not hesitate to push our convertible to the limits in the twisties.  However, it is certainly not as stiff as a coupe.  I do get a bit of cowl shake on rough roads (Michigan was hell for this car...but I rarely notice it down here).  This is a duke/auto, which is famous for excessive vibration at idle in gear...and I can definitely see some movement in the windshield frame during that vibration.  I don't notice that movement while driving.  Although the doors are pinched a little, this has not gotten worse through the years, and is not noticeably worse when Sharon and I are in the car (neither of us are a lightweight).  The doors are not original to the car, the quarter panels are original Mechum scoops that were installed poorly, and the upper panel behind the door was custom fiberglassed.  I think we can resolve the pinching by re-aligning the doors and correcting the rear when we re-paint.

The top is built like a tent with poles that hold the top up and the fabric snaps into place.  This allows us to completely remove it, and fold it up into the front or the trunk.  It has a nice smooth look when the top is off that I think is far superior to any of the normal convertible kits.  But...when the top is up, it has a goofy shape that cuts off square at the back...and it leaks.  Bad.  I normally tell people that I don't know if I get wetter with the top on or off in the rain...but at least with the top off I know where the water is coming from.

We purchased the car as a convertible in 2010.  It was converted in 1997 by Denny Patton.  We have put about 35k miles on it (it now has 265k), and have driven it to 12 states.  I do love driving the convertible when the weather is nice, and don't regret getting the car.  It gets lots of attention at Fiero gatherings...but outside of Fiero people, few notice that it is anything special.  It definitely has it's drawbacks...mainly in foul weather.

These are some pics I took in the fall to show someone how the support is on ours.

From just in front of the front tire, you can see how it is welded to the front crossmember. Not sure I like that, makes future repairs more difficult.

Same location, different angle.

From behind the front tire looking forward. Note the conduit with battery cables for the front mount battery.

Same position, different angle again. Notice that the support does NOT block the gas tank.

In front of the rear tire. You can see where it runs up the firewall, and has the crossmember behind the gas tank. Battery cables are also visible again.

The support runs up the firewall, and out along the B pillars. The seatbelt in this pic is bolted to the added support in the B pillar area.  I am only 5'9", and am the tallest person that is normally in the car.  I would recommend a higher shoulder mount for a taller person...but most convertibles I see mount it to the firewall, which plays hell on the seatbelt retracting.

If I were to build another one, I would do underbody support similar to what we have, along with support around the doors similar to what this guy did: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000006.html#p9   I would also do a different top design.  I have thought about several different designs, and will be doing one of them just before paining the car...but even then, this will be a nice weather car only.

Overall pic of the car on the way back from RFTH 18:

Pic with the top up at RFTH15:

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:52:18 am »
That is sharp looking.
Thanks for all the information.