Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Run For The Hills 2014 Scouting Run  (Read 22557 times)

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
Re: Run For The Hills 2014 Scouting Run
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:47 am »
OH NO! no good to hear hope you get home safe.

Randy ~ of Acworth

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 12:17:49 am »
Here is a Public link to some of todays MP4s from my phone.

The rest are 3gpps and I don't know how to covert them yet. I will get them in the morning.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6wbzmmmxbnc069s/YtsrdzHV48
Randy ~ of Acworth

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... Banjo Music....... thats funny

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 02:30:24 pm »
I didn't say it.  Before we headed back, we were about to talk about No Breakdowns.  But after a 15 1/2 hour day of driving, getting within 15 miles of home isn't bad. 

The 2.8 is pretty resilient. Ray has run his 86 out of coolant about 3 times.  Enough that he didn't know it until the steam pockets started exploding through the coolant tubes.  I ran the 87 until the steam pocket exploded, and the only bad effect I think I had was that when it hit the tank at the inlet hose, it cracked the tank.  Engine is still doing fine. 

Good video, Randy, but why did you post them in slow motion?  :)  And did anyone get any pictures of the guy playing the banjo in front of the gas station? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »
Now I Know how not to take the video.  I will plan better next time. the ones that are clearer are straight from the Phone - the others are from the phone but shorted and less detail for sending SMS over a phone.

I got the timing set this morning and it is running a little different the chugging didn't go away but it is less and I don't hear popping any more. I also have a new O2 sensor sitting which is in the Manual as a fix. So when it cools down I will change that out too.

After I timed it; it was off bad; I pulled the negative battery cable and drove it ten miles. still does it though. we will see.

Till next month see you here.
Randy ~ of Acworth

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »
Was a lot of fun...was some great roads.  I think the section I hadn't driven previously was every bit as wonderful as the ones I KNEW were great.

We had three major issues on the run.  First, we got to the top of the Diamondback only to find the BRP closed...so we headed back down the diamondback and up some boring roads that took us around that section.  Then when we got to Boone....the restaurant we intended to have lunch at was closed for remodeling...so we ended up eating at Wendy's instead.  Many of the roads seemed to be covered in a sheet of loose sand.  Mostly roads I have driven many times, and I have never seen that before.  I can only assume it is residue from sanding/salting the roads from their recent snow (last week).

So...we need a name for the event.  We are circling Grandfather Mountain...Sharon suggested "The Grandfather Loop".
Then we need artwork.

Concerns:
Sand on the road - should be cleared, but only another run can verify.
Parkway open - should be...it is still pretty early in the season for the locals.  The stores at Little Switzerland don't open till 4-11, so I suspect that is when the parkway opens.  I have heard rumor that large groups of cars must register to run on the parkway together...does anyone know any details about that?
Restaurant for lunch - That one should be open in plenty of time for preparations, but there are many others if not.
Appalachian State - We are driving right by there...lunch is across the street.  But, traffic on the day of the run should be comparable to what it was yesterday.  The football team is off the week before the run, and then has away games the week of the run and the week after.

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

The invasion of Little Switzerland (yes, that is snow on the hill back there)

Not many pics, but I pulled in about 30 Gb of video.  Only one is prepped for public display so far...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:50:16 pm by CowsPatoot »

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »
Yes, that was an excellent time. My car didn't want to stick on the loose sand and gravel at all. Sign me up for the next pre-run.

In better news, I have my car back on the road. Evidently Scotty put a Dickman idler pulley on it, I don't think the belt was routed properly. Thats why I was getting that terrible squeal at start up. After searching all over the net, i finally found the right belt. Installed proper belt, all better. Went for a joy ride, no noise, no water in oil, all good.

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 04:13:00 pm »
Good to hear Scott! that was a fast turn around.

Here is the path for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2vlTbw2w&list=UURDqF0XhAm5yexglFEX_V4w

Ron was very skilled in the recovery and kept the whole incident from being recorded  ;D
Randy ~ of Acworth

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »
You know after replaying  (2:03) 30 times = it wasn't Ron that needed the TP - it was Me or Charlie - Did you hear his NON anti-lock brakes? I am sure mine were also NON anti-locking too.   Lesson learned: put TP in the between the crack before driving down Devils Whip first am I right?

enjoyed the run!
Randy ~ of Acworth

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
Thanks for noticing I screwed up the link...it is fixed now.

The Diamondback...

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 10:49:00 pm »
Here's a shot from Scott Brown, taken at a lunch stop in Boone, NC.

After seeing the comment about the video, I watched it a little closer, too.  At the time, I saw the smoke but I didn't know from who's tires. Randy wasn't out of shape, so I knew something was wrong.  I came around just in time to see Ron bounce back in line, but it was out of view on the right of the camera.  I didn't hear any tire squeal at the time.  I never knew that was my tires. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:18 am »
Was It The Devil's Whip Or The Diamond Back ?
Either Way It Looks Like Fun !
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »
We did both Diamondback and Whip. 

Since no one has mentioned it, I might as well 'fess up.  After we finished the run, said goodbye to Daryl and Greg, we headed back toward Asheville.  Nice brand new 4 lane divided highway, cruising along chatting on the radio about the day.  We came upon a Monte Carlo and slid over to the left lane and eased on by him at about 73 mph. 

At the bottom of the hill, there was a car on the other side, sitting in the left turn lane.  North Carolina State Trooper.  Did I say cruising at 73 mph?  The speed limit is 55 and he's going to let us know it.  As all of us pass, he comes around with blue lights flashing.  Everyone slides over to the right lane and he passes them by.  That is, all except me who is leading the pack.  In behind me and starts calling on his PA system to "Pull Over!!!"

So, without a good place, I wave an acknowledgement and ease on down the highway looking for a place.  Well, the StateTrooper gets a little impatient and yells a little louder.  I pull over with 2 wheels on the paved shoulder and 2 on the dirt.  Again the Trooper yells out but this time it's "Move on down the road!"  What?

By this time some of the other guys have passed us and as we search for a place, they find a small side road.  The Trooper is yelling at me again, so into the side road and I pull into a dirt drive while the rest stop on the side of the little road.  The Trooper comes up behind me, gets out and approaches.  He had a very red face.

He wanted to know why I didn't pull over when he told me to, then why did I stop in an unsafe location.  Then he wanted to know why my buddies stopped, saying that since he had them there he could write all of them a speeding ticket.  "Tell them to get out of here!"  So I did, and they did. 

"License and registration, please."  As I opened my wallet for my license, I exposed my Concealed Carry Permit.  Now, he is really getting red faced.  He wanted to know why I didn't tell him I had a Concealed Carry Permit.  "Well, Sir, I didn't know I had to since I don't have my weapon on me." 

After a lecture about advising an officer about the permit during any stop, he returned to his car.  Shortly, he's back with a sheet of paper with all my personal information printed out.  He's not so red faced any more.  "Sir, this box is checked because I registered you at 73 in a 55 speed zone.  This box includes 2 Hazardous Violations.  One for stopping in an unsafe location, and the other is for not advising me of the Concealed Carry License.  This box is checked because you have failed to sign your vehicle registration card in the designated space.  I've circled it on your registration card."  "Please slow down and have a safe trip back home.  You don't have to do anything with this notice.  THIS IS A WARNING!"

After a day of such wonderful, wild and twisty roads and getting away with a warning from a North Carolina State Trooper, what could be better?  And then he shook my hand.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:46 am »
Charlie, Only you could get away with that. Had it been me , I would still be in NC trying to make bond and getting a good lawyer!
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 07:38:18 am »
Don't worry Ron...I know a good lawyer up here.

This is the one where we caught up to the Miata: