VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: oil?  (Read 15468 times)

WV Mike

• View Profile
oil?
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
Going to do my first oil change in my 88 Formula this weekend. I was looking and saw that my Fiero is supposed to take 10w40 energy conserving. I don't think anyone sells 10w40 energy conserving anymore. So, I wanted to reach out to you guys and ask what are you running in your Fiero.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:04:20 pm »
I simply use a good quality 10W-40 in mine. It costs a little more (I get mine done at the dealer) but it is worth it.
I WOULD NOT use any synthetic oil UNLESS the engine had just been rebuilt.
Synthetic tends to find all of the tiny places from which to leak. I have also heard (but don't have any FACTS) that
if you switch mid-stream to synthetic that your oil pressure will suffer.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:45 pm »
Thanks.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:41:09 pm »
I thought the recommended oil for all Fieros was 5 W 30.  Of course, with any engine, as it ages and wears, a heavier grade might be necessary.  On Pennocks, there are reams and reams of opinions, pro and con, for any imaginable steps to take and oils to use.  There's probably no one answer that fits all. 

Roger's recommendation of a conventional multigrade oil is probably best.  Synthetic blends probably being next.  That is my opinion because of the type engine we have.  They are flat tappet pushrod engines.  Old flat tappet engines used oil with lots of zinc which helped reduce wear on the bottom of the lifters and on the cam lobes.  You will also find lots of pro and con arguments as to whether zinc (ZDDP) is of any benefit.  You can purchase a ZDDP oil additive, but you must be careful to add the right percentage and no be tempted to over-do it.  More isn't better in this case.  Some of the so-called high mileage oils have ZDDP as an ingredient.  They're usually of a higher viscosity like 10 W 40 or 20 W 40, but in my experience they didn't increase my oil pressure enough to warrant the extra cost of regular 10 or 20 W 40.  Modern day engines don't need the additives because almost all engines now use roller lifters or overhead cams with roller rockers.

Any multigrade with a rating of SF would meet the requirements.  With a higher mileage engine, maybe 130K or more, it might be good to go to a 20 W 40.  By that mileage, you should normally already be running a minimum of 10 W 30.  Best to put a mechanical gauge on the oil pressure sender tube and get a pressure reading when the car is at operating temperature and idling.  I like for that bottom number to not be below 12 psi at 900-1000 rpm. 

As for the brand, and again this is personal preference.  I've gotten over 300K on a new Grand Am, 225K on a new Dakota, 297K on an original 85GT, and 183K on a Grand Prix using Castrol GTX oil and changing oil and filter every 5K miles.  All the vehicles were sold and continued to be driven by the new owners. 

Synthetics have come a long way to overcome some of the tendencies to find every little pinhole to escape the engine.  Again, there are lots of arguments for either side of that.  Like Roger, some say never add it to an old engine.  Others say never add it to a new engine until it's been driven for more than 25k miles to be sure it has fully worn every part of the engine.  Synthetics do lubricate better and the thought of some is that because it's so slick, pistons, rings, valve stems, bearings and such don't wear and mate if synthetic is used too early.

A good oil filter is a must.  Lots have said that the popular Fram filters have begun to fall short in quality compared to Wix or Purolator or Purolator Gold.  Probably some searching might help with making a choice of brands.

Do a google search for ZDDP oil additive to form your own opinion on that. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
Thanks. A lot of good information for me to digest on. I do use Purolator filters on all of my vehicles.

Ok, I was wrong about the 10w40. Owner's manual does show 5w30; however, I was looking at my Chilton's manual and it has 2 pictures with one having 10w40 which is wrong. I am thinking of using a conventional oil 10w40. I'll take a look at Castrol GTX.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:24:14 pm by SC Mike »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:42 pm »
I use Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 in my Fieros -- even in my 88 duke before I rebuilt it. (I rebuilt it at 200,000 miles.) I never have had an oil-related problem. I also use Mobile 1 synthetic Dexron in my automatic. No problems with that, either.
If an engine has been reasonably maintained, it should not require a heavier oil, in my humble opinion.
BTW, Mobile 1 was used by John Callies in the original Super Duty 4 (in the Fiero Pace Car). I think it was the only synthetic back then. He took one of his SD4's apart after some hard usage and found no wear. At the 30th anniversary, he was still singing the praises of Mobile 1.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:18:42 pm »
Ihave been using Castrol 15-40 for 20yrs in every Fiero Ihave owned the only exception was my first Fiero as it had the 4cyl. engine with a roller camshaft stock. Crane and Melling cams require this oil to recieve warrenty on new cams. Also Dello 400, and Rotella -T are suggested but the zink content is highest in Castrol. ! currenty have over 100.ooo miles on my 3.4 and Darrell har a little over 31.000 on a 3.4  oil pressure just checked last on both cars before changing the oil sending units. aok . hope this helps you with the use of what oil is best. aerodon!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
It seems that Castrol was the inventor of the ZDDP chemistry for oil additives according to this Hemmings article.  There is some good reading here that applies to the Fiero engines as well as the 3.1 and 3.4 swaps.  Hope you find this helpful and informative.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:51 am »
Interesting read. Thanks.