Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: What would you expect from a new Fiero?  (Read 16023 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
What would you expect from a new Fiero?
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »
Great CSRA Fiero Club meeting today at Cars & Coffee. We had TWO Fieros and THREE Fiero owners, That's double and triple the usual amount.

During the meeting we discussed what a new Fiero would look like. To include more folks I've decided to move this on-line discussion to the GA Fiero Club website. Have fun posting.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: What would you expect from a new Fiero?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:26:42 pm »

Now my two cents.

I'd expect:
Mid-engine two seater - otherwise it's not a Fiero

Not overly concerned if it's fiberglass or has pop-up headlights.

Expect a four banger, but room for an 8.
Wouldn't mind if it was equipped with a hybrid drive like the Volt.
Run flats with storage up front.

Sliding doors like a van, with pivoting seats.  Would make getting in and out easier.

Anyone else?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »
Maybe something like this....

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »
Yeah, I could handle that.

A convertible would be required.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:39:25 pm »
Parts and service availability.  I have several items on my Fiero, that are unobtanium.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:06:20 am »
That car is Beautiful is it availible.  the v-6 engines today are twice as powerful as the 2.8 and turbo modles are three times as strong. THEY WILL COST 45,000. I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU WOULD PUT A POCKET DOOR,  Or swivel seats, but dig this...have the seats Raise up to greet your butt, Think how easy it would be if the Seat was just Above the door sill. Quick HOW DO I PATENT THAT.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 05:28:40 pm »
Something that could be identified as a Fiero, V8, V6, turbo 4 powerplants, MANUAL transmission only. ( autos could be offered as a much more costly option) mid engine, 2 seat, hard top with option for removing the top for a roadster. 
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Formula Owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:33:04 am »
Mid-engine, 2 seat obviously. I kinda like the V6 sound, but I also like the sound of a high rev'ing 4 cylinder (such as the S2000) better. Acceleration should be on par with a S2000*. Weight? Hopefully they could keep it under 3000. Roadster with an optional removable hard top. Transmission options: manual and some kind of semi-automatic (sequential manual or dual-clutch). 18" wheels with appropriate sized ABS brakes. Traction control and stability control that can be disabled. A suspension that's adjustable from the cockpit, with settings suitable for daily driving, "sport" driving (on the street), and track days/autocross. Enough storage for 2 people for a weekend. And, of course, styling that obviously says, "Fiero".

* I would actually NOT want it be extremely fast. Cars with extremely high performance limits are boring at anything close to legal speeds. I would want to be able to enjoy it without having to drive it at "go directly to jail" speeds. You really can't enjoy a Ferrari, Porsche or Corvette at their limits anywhere but a track. Plus, if it's TOO fast, the Corvette team would try to kill it.

Oh yeah... $25000.  :D Yeah, right. It would probably be more like 40K.

Re: pop-up headlights.... They're no longer legal. Speaking of headlights... I would NOT want headlights that were $3000 each for replacements (like some LED systems now).

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:53 pm »
Weight? Hopefully they could keep it under 3000.

Since Pontiac had experimented with aluminum space frames, and found them to be both lighter and stiffer than steel space frames, I'd make the new Fiero with aluminum space frames, and go for under 2500 pounds, rather than 3000 pounds.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »
Re: pop-up headlights.... They're no longer legal. Speaking of headlights... I would NOT want headlights that were $3000 each for replacements (like some LED systems now).However, in part thanks to new design regulations regarding pedestrian safety, hidden headlamps have largely become a thing of the past. Headlamp concealment devices are still legal, and regulations for manufacturing them can be found under the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Standard No. 108. (Here’s one sensible restriction: “Whenever any malfunction occurs in a component that controls or conducts power for the actuation of the concealment device, each closed headlamp concealment device shall be capable of being fully opened by a means not requiring the use of any tools. Thereafter, the headlamp concealment device must remain fully opened until intentionally closed.”)

What’s changed in the last decade have been European design laws requiring the front end of cars to be more readily deformable—a move intended to protect  pedestrians in case of a crash. (Section 7.2.3.3 of this 2004 report [PDF] presented to the European Commission has more on the changes required.) It is difficult to create hidden headlights that comply with these laws, and the high costs of doing so aren’t worth it to most manufacturers. Although the EU rulings don’t govern cars in the United States, auto manufacturers operate globally, so the diminished global desire for hidden headlamps has affected our bumpers too. Pop up head light are legal.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 04:42:01 pm »
Holy resurrection, Batman!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a de-contented version of the new mid-engine Corvette. The development is already done. It's all but a done deal.
Turn some "Pontiac faithful" loose on some new bodywork for the existing space frame. Remove all of the magnetic suspension pieces and anything resembling a V8. (The lack of a V8 will ensure that it won't knock the Corvette's "halo" cock-eyed. At least for a while.) I think it would do just fine with the DOHC V6 that GM is currently stuffing into any number of GM vehicles.
It MUST have a manual trans available.
Remove all the other electronic nanny-ware. Make it an honest basic mid-engine sports car.

As I have mentioned, elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket does a "Fiero" treatment on the new Corvette platform.
They've been making new Camaros into Trans Ams for almost a decade. That this will happen is almost a "given", IMHO. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »
Pop-up headlights technically aren't illegal.  Here, the issue is placement.  In Europe, pedestrian concerns prevent pop-up headlights.  Since manufacturers are global, they build to the least common denominator.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2013/10/pop-up-headlights-why-the-hidden-headlamp-has-disappeared.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:45:58 pm by GTRS Fiero »

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:42:27 pm »
2018 car with pop-up headlights, maybe: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a22686595/ares-panther-prototype-first-look/

"The Panther's Lamborghini-sourced chassis is fully wrapped in carbon fiber, featuring pop-up headlights, of all things."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:43:58 pm by pgackerman »

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 03:47:18 pm »
topnotch where did you get that picture of the red car. is it a real car or a composite of your own design?
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »
It's been so long (2014) I don't know. And tracing back the URL doesn't work.