Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero upgrades  (Read 20309 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Fiero upgrades
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »
Howdy All,

I'm sitting back and dreaming about potential upgrades for my '88 Fiero (V6, 5-speed) starting some time around August.  This means I have time to think. 

I need to replace the shocks/struts soon but I'm also thinking about engine and brake changes.  It would be great if all these changes worked together to make an even better car.

First topic, any suggestions on shock/strut replacements?  I'd eventually like to have larger wheels in the rear than in the front.  Both sets will eventually be replaced by run-flats and be bigger than the ones I have now.  Any gotchas I should be aware of?  Any experiences to share?  Any brands to use or avoid?

Second topic, can the standard 2.8L be jazzed up?  I mean this in both HP/performance and appearance.  The base engine doesn't have the WOW  :o factor such a beautiful car deserves.  Wouldn't mind ending up with around 200 HP / 200 torque.  Performance isn't bad now, but it should be better than my '96 Sunfire's which did 0-60 in 7.9 seconds. 

That's all for now.  Thanks in advance for your responses.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:53:34 pm by pgackerman »
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fiero upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:16:24 pm »
I don't have any suggestions on suspension or tires but there's not much you can do with a 2.8 or even a 3.4 to get that much hp without dropping a lot of money.  It would be more cost efficient to just start out with a good 3800.  A NA engine puts out about 210 hp without any mods.  That swap's been done so many times that there's lots of support out there.

I also know where you can get a brand new crate engine on the cradle with transmission and most wiring completed for around $2500.  He said the stock crate engine is somewhere around or above 350 hp.  I didn't ask, but I think it's coupled to an automatic trans, but it might also be a Getrag.  It's a Cadillac engine and we're guessing it might be for a CTS. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:00 pm »
I've done all sorts of stuff to my suspension and brakes, and I'm still running Monroe Sensatrac shocks and struts. I'm quite happy with how it handles and rides. (Much nicer than the worn out stockers.)

If you have a bunch of money to spend you can probably get around 200 HP out of a 3.4. Although I never had mine dynoed, the sum of all the parts should have worked out to ~200 HP.
Would I do it again? Not likely. I had $800, just in head work.

Hands down, the best bang for the buck is a 3800 SC. Get one 97 or newer.

If I do any more swaps, my next one will probably be a 3500 or 3900 out of a G6, Malibu, or Impala. The blocks are similar enough to a 2.8 that it ought to almost bolt in. The real pain will be the wiring and tuning.
The 3.5 in my G6 makes 220 HP, box stock. With a few minor mods it ought to be able to push 250, or even 300.

Charlie, I got your call the other morning. I'm not ignoring you. Just has gotten too late to call. I'll give you a shout this weekend. Thanks!

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
Thanks guys.  That's great information.  I'll have to decline the CTS engine until at least August. 
The struts/shocks info is also great. 

Regarding G6's and Grand Prix 3.8SCs, I've notice I can get entire (supposedly) running cars on Craigslist for a reasonable price.  Will the wheels/rims fit a Fiero?  How about the brakes?  Are there any other parts that can be used?

Have to admit I hadn't considered G6's.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:50 pm »
Some folks say that to be sure you get a running car, buy one that's been wrecked in the side or rear.  You know it was on the road with other vehicles at the time. 

Rims won't fit.  Tires won't fit.  Brakes won't fit.  But you're in luck.  The radio will.  :) 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:53:29 pm »
Regarding G6's and Grand Prix 3.8SCs, I've notice I can get entire (supposedly) running cars on Craigslist for a reasonable price.  Will the wheels/rims fit a Fiero?  How about the brakes?  Are there any other parts that can be used?

Have to admit I hadn't considered G6's.

There's really nothing on a G6 that will transplant into a Fiero except the drivetrain.
I mentioned it because the engines are very common and are quite reasonably priced, in the grand scheme of things. (I've heard $300-$400 for low mile engines.)
The 3.5 and 3.9 came in the G6s, Malibu, Impala, and probably others. After 2007, the 3.5 was equipped with VVT (actually, variable cam timing.) A little more complex, but it was worth nearly 20 HP over the earlier 3500s. 3.9s made after 2006 (or maybe even earlier) also came with VVT. The RPO codes are LZ4 for the 3.5 and LZ9 for the 3.9. There was also an earlier LX9 3.9, that I believe had "fixed" cam timing.

A little more info... The 3.5 comes with a 4T45E (i.e. "light duty") 4 speed automatic tranny.   The PCM is programmed so that it reduces engine torque any time the tranny shifts - or does much of anything else - so as not to "shock load" it.
Some of them came with a 6T70(?) six speed automatic. I really don't know anything about those, however. (Mine is the 4 speed.)
If I was going to do one of these engines, I would probably use a manual tranny. Probably a ~93 Beretta Getrag, or maybe an F23. The 3.9 came with a manual tranny option, and the 3.5 PCM uses the same program as the 3.9, so I have to believe that a manual tranny can easily be adapted to the 3.5.
(The 3.9 came with an F40 six speed. Kind of nice, but expensive to swap into a Fiero. Requires a special flywheel and clutch, special axles, and other stuff.) 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »
Any comments on hood vents?

I've heard the Fiero has a lot of lift up front and scoops are one way to lower lift.  I'm picturing a C7 like vent with a stripe. 

Are there better configurations? At what speed does lift even become an issue?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 06:18:24 pm »
I've heard that the bumper pad and the 87 and 88 base coupe and Formula are more prone to lift up at speeds.  Some people have said that it can happen between 100 and 110.  I've had my 85GT up to around 120 and my 87GT at 105 without any problems.  The headlight doors didn't even try to open.  The Indy used as a pace car had to be capable of at least 142 in order to become a pace car, so apparently the aero ground effects trim is very effective. 

ThaDriver makes a great extractor hood vent.  There are two styles, I believe.  One fits in front of the compartment wall and only requires modifying the hood.  The other requires mods to the hood and the front compartment wall.  http://angelonearth.net/customfiberglass/

They help with cooling, but unless you're planning to run on a track, I wouldn't worry about lift. 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
In my SOLO event I never got out of second gear...
...but most folks didn't.

I like ThaDriverwebsite: http://angelonearth.net/customfiberglass/

More to think about.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:13:29 am »
I hope your not planning on nodding your current Fiero. It's too pristine. My 2 cents.
Find an older, less showroom-like specimen to cut up. There it's room in this world for both (and in your garage. Just refer back to one of your earlier posts where you asked the question "how many fieros could you fit in your garage?")  You can't have yin without yang, peanut butter without chocolate, and good without evil.
You could have a good fiero and an evil fiero.
You need two.
Now, with that being said....  can i interest you in a ripe'84?
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:02 am »
A better candidate for mods:

Formula with a fastback conversion, modified 3.4, Getrag, Borla exhaust.  Needs tires and possibly a fuel pump.  Functional decklid scoop.  Interior in good+ condition.  Body is in primer.  This car belongs to the club and proceeds will go to support our Warrior Project.
]

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:57:34 am by Fierofool »

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 03:21:49 pm »
There ya go!  Perfect candidate!  How much?  Does it run?

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »
The more I think about it, the more I move towards bringing a beater back to life. 
Still can't do much until Sept/Aug 2015.

I'd still like to fix the paint, jazz up my engine compartment, and make the car sound better without making major changes. 
Any ideas?

Now if only my wife will keep her Mustang on her side of the garage!

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »
I'm thinking black on black Is what it's begging for!  I can see me driving it too!

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 06:15:27 pm »
I'll ask too.  How much and does it run well?