Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I've been rejected and I'm Happy!  (Read 15880 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
I've been rejected and I'm Happy!
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:31:06 pm »
Howdy Folks,

I submitted an article to a Corvette Magazine comparing the mid-engine Fiero to the 1984 -1988 Corvette.  Here's my edited rejection letter:

<snip>
    This is an informative and well-written article, and if I were editing a more broadly targeted publication, I'd likely be interested in publishing it. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that our readership, while fanatically devoted to the Corvette and all it stands for, has very little (which is to say zero) interest in anything that falls outside that niche. (My predecessor even received nasty notes for penning a few complimentary lines about the similarly priced Cadillac CTS-V coupe a few years back.)

That said, if you decide to write any Corvette-specific articles in the future, I'd be happy to consider them, as we're always keen to expand our roster of contributors. In the meantime, I suggest you contact some of the print and online outlets that cater to automotive fans of all stripes, as there's a good chance one of them may be interested in the piece.
</snip>

FYI, here's my article's opening:
General Motors produced over half a million fiberglass two-seaters from 1984-88.  Only a third had V-8s. The rest were four and six cylinder Pontiac Fieros selling for far less than Chevrolet's Corvette.  Although the Fiero was never a performance threat to its stepbrother, it possessed something many Corvette faithful desire: a mid-engine design.

My question to y'all is this: What are some of the "print and online outlets that cater to automotive fans of all stripes" that might be interested in such a submission? 

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: I've been rejected and I'm Happy!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 08:48:45 pm »
Unfortunately, Paul, that's been our experience with Corvette people.  We were usually staged with them while waiting to enter into the Atlanta St. Patrick's Day Parade.  They seemed to be centered on the Corvette and blind to everything else.  The only ones that were open to talk about the Fiero and Corvettes was a predominantly black club.  They seemed to be genuinely interested.

I'm not much on reading magazines, either print or online, so I can't give you any guidance on that other than maybe something like Car and Driver, Road and Track or something like those.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:11:26 am »
Corvette People Are Snooty !!!
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:31:29 pm »

That's pretty much been my experience as well.
Very few of them seem to mod - or even work on - their cars. Anything that gets done, gets done via "checkbook tuning".

jeffwilson34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:19 pm »

NOT ALL OF US ARE.
I have owned 5 corvettes an 1984 *junk crossfire engine that got sapped out for a normal intake and 4 barrel holly carb.  Then a pair of 86 Vettes my wife and I both had one till I bought my current 1998 Vette that has 331,000 miles on original engine.

I have also owned 5 Fiero's  my 1st real nice car was an 86 2M4.  I also had an 84 I did not keep long then a pair of 87GT's and just bought an 86 SE with the 4 cylinder and automatic transmission

I have always considered the Fiero a close relative (little cousin) to the corvettes
Vette owners have a thing that they always wave at other corvettes when they pass on the road,  I have always waved at the Fieros.  If I am in my Vette and pass a Fiero or other Vette on the road I always try and stop and see if I can help them.

I love the power of my Corvette but the Fieros have always been more fun to drive.

I am looking for the Video I have of my 87GT hitting 150mph and the wind caught the headlight flaps and popped them up causing a minor heart attack as well as changing the handling of the Fiero by acting like air brakes.
\

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:25:03 pm »

I asked Casual Corvettes at the Edgefield SC Cruise-in if you had to have a Vette to join or if any GM product with two-seats, a fiberglass body, and pop-up headlights would do. 

Confused them for a few minutes.

Casual Corvettes are nice folks.  You'll see a lot of them at Coffee & Cars.

What is it with all these C's?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:15:37 pm »
Did we publish this article?

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:33:03 pm »

Think so.  It was the Step-brothers article, modified.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:07 pm »
Figured.