Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Brake bleeding help  (Read 15160 times)

mweldon

• View Profile
Brake bleeding help
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »
Ok, I'm performing a mild brake refresh to a near mint 88GT I recently acquired and for the life of me cannot get the brakes bled properly..  Still have the very spongy feel with brake light on.

Story so far:
1. Acquired car and parking brake would only partially work and brake light would go on and off so I knew it needed adjustment brake work

2. Brake fluid was almost black

3. Found that I had two seized sliders on left rear caliper and one on left front.

4. Replaced Rotors, pads, and refreshed sliders and boots on seized calipers without removing.

5. Pedal bled brakes and blew master cylinder seal, replaced with bench bled 87GT master cylinder after 88 Napa cylinder leaked like a sieve

6. Then vacuum bled brakes with compressed air attachment, still spongy with brake light on.

7. Then built compressed air brake bleeder (5-15psi max) and bled brakes, still spongy with brake light on.

I'm about to sacrifice a chicken or a goat in my front lawn but the HOA might object.

If anybody could provide any insight or even be willing to give some pointers first hand I'd be willing to compensate with beer, kudos, cash, parts, etc... as I'm all out of ideas...

This is ridiculous as I've bleed many systems in the past without issue...

Thanks for any help in advance,
Marc

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Brake bleeding help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:13 pm »
Replace your brake hoses.
Replace your bleed screws with Speed Bleeder bleed screws.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »
The brake light on might be a result of a misadjusted parking brake switch.  The order of bleed is Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, and Left Front.  This starts with the cylinder furtherest from the master cylinder and ends with the one closest.  I have actually used a gravity bleed when I had no one to help.  Just put a small hose on the bleeder, open it and let it run into a jar.  Slow, but it works and doesn't break up any air bubbles in the lines or calipers. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

mweldon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 02:29:54 pm »
speed bleeders were my next step...

I figured for the fiero bleeding would be farthest caliper to shortest.. LR, RR, RF, then LF