Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Securing cover on Alt/Oil gauge cluster  (Read 14447 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Securing cover on Alt/Oil gauge cluster
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:21:23 pm »

I replaced the housing of my battery/oil pressure gauge cluster with one found during our Fiero stripping party.  Mine use to be held on by velcro, gravity, and the plug... which didn't work so well when taking corners quickly.  Especially if the cluster was acting as part of the cup-holder system.

My question is how to make the soft cover from the old housing adhere with a better than factory look?  Peeling away has a certain charm in a 30 year old car (OK, 27), but it's not the look I'm after. 

Any ideas?  Any products?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Securing cover on Alt/Oil gauge cluster
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:58:30 pm »
I as well as Don had used Gorilla Glue, but you need to use it sparingly or it will expand outside the edges.  Post a couple of pictures of the pod so I can see just what needs repaired before I make any more suggestions.  Spring clamps, paint stir sticks, carpenters wood clamps are all your friend. 

The soft vinyl cover has a layer of foam rubber between it and the hard plastic skeleton.  That usually has to be removed and the surfaces cleaned well, whatever repair medium you use.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Securing cover on Alt/Oil gauge cluster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:11:49 am »
I use a special super glue for plastics that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. It has two parts -- a surface preparation that you apply to both surfaces, and the glue. You only have to hold or clamp the work for about a minute, and it's done. I find it best to do one or two inches of the job at a time. Like Fierofool said, you need to clean off the foam first.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.