Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My '88 Fiero - The Never-Ending Saga  (Read 105144412 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: My '88 Fiero - The Never-Ending Saga
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2020, 06:59:12 pm »
I'm going to try some different pulleys on the water pump, alternator, and crankshaft.  The pulleys arrived today, but will have to wait until I'm feeling better for install.

I'm going to try aluminum, but the design is a bit different.  The water pump pulley was difficult to size, to fit over the water pump.

I only tried the water pump and crank pulleys.  The alternator looked a bit too ambitious.  The crank pulley works, but the water pump pulley would not line up.  On the positive side, I bled all over the place attempting this, so they can hold on using leeches to suck my blood.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:59:23 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 07, 2020, 08:02:04 pm »
While the steel pulleys were out, I've been testing cleaning methods.  Based on the results, if you want to get the dirt off the parts, wear a white shirt.

The grease and gaskets have been a difficulty to remove.  I don't have a sand blaster, but am reluctant to use one on aluminum, anyway.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 08, 2020, 10:24:12 am »
Aluminum cleans fantastic with glass beads in a cheap harbor freight cabinet.  Just stay away from excessive air pressure and heavy grits like black beauty or garnet they are for rusty steel and iron.  It would be nice to own two cabinets one each with glass and garnet.  I have one with black beauty in it all the time for old rusty stuff. I can dump it and change to glass but there is some contamination doing it that way.  Not a big deal on pulleys but delicate stuff like pistons it is.   If you get one put it on wheels so you can roll it outdoors, they make a HUGE mess.  Wear a dust mask at all times, even with a dust collection system!  For a guy who does not like rust as much as you do, you need one.  Even a small bench top unit is OK but you'll wish you had a bigger one.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2020, 10:29:40 am »
Outside stuff is a no-go.  The Nazis code enforcement behinds princesses are troublesome.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2020, 06:26:41 pm »
It looks as if the right rear splash shield needs to be replaced, so one of these days, maybe a field trip to the auto parts parking lot.  I should have replaced it, last year (when I did the left side), but was too lazy.

After this, all the shields other than the one under the nose should be the replaced versions, AFAIK.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2020, 05:55:45 pm »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2020, 05:56:34 pm »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2020, 10:23:30 pm »
With a bit of work, my steering rack bushing bracket cleaned right up.

I had no idea that that tab was on there, previously.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 08, 2020, 08:09:16 pm »
The westher was nice (before the hail arrived), so I went for a quick drive in my Fiero.  Some guy driving an Amazon van pulled up next to me, and gave my a thumbs-up.  As I think of this, it seems incredible that I could see the driver of a vehicle that high, when the vehicle was on my left.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 11, 2020, 02:05:18 pm »
It cost more, at the time, but it seems to have bedn a good decision to have replaced all the bushings, mounts, anything rubber or suspension, everything with the brakes, all the cooling componentd, all the fuel-related stuff, all gaskets, the belts, the water pump, etc while the engine was out.  However it turns out, those things were a good decision.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:45 pm »
Sometimes, it seems that I make no progress, but this is better than it was.  A while back, I'd pulled my tail lights, and noticed that the backs of the housings were filthy, and the metal clips were rusty.  So, some work was needed.

I don't know if these were originally painted or bare metal when new.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 17, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »
I've been looking for brass set screws for the throttle body, but haven't had any luck, locally.  Today, I ordered 2 "quarter-twenty" half inch brass set screws.  I hope they fit.  Dunno what will prevent them from coming out.  Maybe a bit of plumbers' tape.

Well, this ended up being a dead end.  The threads are somewhat recessed, which would place the set screws too far in.  I considered cutting the heads off the set screws and brazing them to the shaft of a bolt, but that presents its own set of challenges.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2020, 09:08:14 pm »
Where would you use brass set screws of that size?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 17, 2020, 09:24:00 pm »
With the threads ground off, to plug the holes from the throttle body lines.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 16, 2020, 09:35:07 pm »
After some searching, I found the trim around the e-brake to replace my broken piece.  After I get the broken trim replaced, I'll try to fix the broken trim.  I'm not sure if my method will work, so I wanted to have something in case.