Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: How do you identify Fiero strangers?  (Read 16033 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
How do you identify Fiero strangers?
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:24 pm »
Several times, I've agreed to meet up with Fiero people.  We were all strangers, and met places we'd never been before.  The meeting details were time and place.  We all met up.  None of us wore anything Fiero, and only one person drove their Fiero.  We didn't know what car the others would be driving, except that it wouldn't be a Fiero.

My wife wasn't happy.  She wanted to know how we'd ever find each other, since we had no idea what the others looked like, and wore no identifying clothing.

I usually identified the people in the parking lot, but I'm not really sure how, other than in one case by the out-of-state plate.  In each case, the arranged meeting places were popular eateries, but usually in a multi-business parking lot.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: How do you identify Fiero strangers?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:10:43 am »
 mostly from the "I'm looking for someone too look"

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 05:57:23 pm »
That worked with one person.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:25:21 pm »
Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I remember one Saturday, during a club meeting. This was many years ago.
We were sitting in the usual space, in the usual restaurant. (American Pie, in this case.) Doing our usual thing.

A couple came in, sat down, and chilled for a while, several tables away from us. Never said a word. Stayed for more than an hour.
Then they got up and left, climbed into an immaculate white 85 GT and drove out of the parking lot. (I saw it leave.) I was like... WTH?!

I'm quite sure they went home, thinking we were the rudest bunch of cretins walking the face of the earth. In reality, we never even knew they were there to visit us.
I have always regretted that.

Subliminal message... if you're there to see us, SAY SOMETHING! We don't bite. I promise. Well... most of us.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
Ouch!  Yeah, they were probably rather dejected.  Some years ago, my family and I went to a particular Fiero event.  We never really felt welcome.  A handful of the people I could only term as snobs.  It was like a high school clique, complete with hair toss, and these women were older than I am.  My wife went back to the hotel room, but I stayed and conversed with some other "outcasts".  After the event, my wife told me we'd never be back, and we haven't been.  She also told me "those people aren't friends of yours".  I couldn't disagree.  A particular group of people were inconsiderate, rude, and certainly not the best Fiero representatives.  At another event, there was a dinner as part of the event.  We attended the dinner.  The people who sat at our table never spoke with us, but had a lively conversation among themselves.  Worse yet, the servers took forever to take all the orders, the food took over an hour to arrive, and the orders were all messed up.  Fortunately, we persisted, and have had positive experiences at some other Fiero events.  I guess it's about expectations.  The people who attend should appreciate the people who put on the event, and everyone should be appreciative of the people who attend.

For my wife and I to attend an event, it's a big deal.  No matter which days, we both have to take time off work.  Hers is just a matter of slots and availability, but usually takes many requests, and requires a lot of people to sign off on it.  It's an ordeal, for me, largely because of verbal abuse from my boss.  I don't really ever get time off, because I still have to handle all the daily task assignments, file all time sheets, answer the drama calls from my boss, handle tech escalations, and field any calls from clients.  My boss doesn't understand boundaries, and will encourage clients to call while I'm on "vacation".  I rarely get a lunch, because the calls just never stop, and I never get to eat.  The time sheets and task assignments I have to do daily.  Worse, I'm the escalation tech AND the only level 3 tech, and the IT manager.  I'm always on call.  During several Fiero events, I had calls after 2am.  Numerous times, while on the way to/from a Fiero event, I've had to pull over and handle some issue or other.  My boss' idea of vacation for me was getting off 1 hour early on Fridays, if the day wasn't too busy, meaning that I'd have to wait until after 3pm that Friday before a decision could be made.  For 5 years, I went without a vacation day, or working less than 14 hours/day without a lunch, although he did let me come in late one day when everyone was closed for bad weather, and he let me rest on the floor in the office one day when I had food poisoning, and I got off for a few hours (6pm-10pm, after coming in to work at 7am) when my daughter was born.  It was so bad, in fact, that one of my clients offered to cover for me so I could have a few days off.  I've been able to hire another tech to help with the simple stuff, but that only gives me a bit of a reprieve.  The threats, put-downs, and name-calling, etc are unpleasant, but bearable for an enjoyable event; however, if my wife isn't happy, I'm not happy.  One good thing about the drives to Fiero events is that we're in separate vehicles, so my wife isn't aware of how much of the drive I'm dealing with issues over the phone.  For the kids, they're of an age for school and lots of activities.  Somehow, Fiero events are mostly during the work week, during the school year/kids' events, etc.  There's a lot of juggling.  Once we get to an event, if no one wants us there, why should we go back?  I'm sure many people have more difficulties than we do.

I'd taken a disabled friend to run some errands.  On the way back, we stopped by a restaurant to eat.  In the lot was a black 85GT.  The weather was unpleasant, and the kids were with me, so we just went on in.  I didn't see anyone likely in the restaurant.  We left.  A while later, we pulled up to a light.  After a bit, I heard a horn a ways back.  Next thing, that GT pulled up next to me.  He waved me over, and we talked for a bit.  He'd been somewhere nearby, and seen me check out his Fiero.

Some Fiero people don't seem to want to be approached.  I encountered one of those, too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:21:45 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »
I remember one Saturday, during a club meeting. This was many years ago.
We were sitting in the usual space, in the usual restaurant. (American Pie, in this case.) Doing our usual thing.

American Pie?  I thought that was a movie.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:49:32 am »
Correct, sir. But it was a song and a restaurant, first,

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:18 am »
   I've quit more GOOD Jobs than most people can get because of Boss's like that, Therefore I am A broke Old SOB. So onward,  Ya'll Know this is My Second round round Here, Because of this very thing, I got so upset I deleated Everything I could, So I'll Share, We were all Doing "Intro's" and Being "Cute" about Linda's Petitness and someone said she could Protect Herself, Well Bravo for her and I will Protect any and All women folk  from Predators. then when her Husband? threw In A "I'm Armed and Dangerous Remark" It blew my Mind. I wanted Nothing to do with this attiude, I have since been assured it was in Jest and Now Offer any Apoliges that may be needed, and Do look Forward to Being a Part of your Clique' Lol.   So you see It sometimes dosn't take much to alienate a person that dosen't know you. Other than that My wife Say's "I'll talk to anybody that will talk Back".

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 08:25:04 am »
So that's what happened.  Since we're bringing that up, I wasn't too happy about having put in the work to obtain, size, post, and order the pics for you, only to have the whole thread deleted, with no reason given.  I gathered something happened, but at the time I thought is was because people weren't posting in your thread.

I'm relatively new here, too.  So far, I've found the people here to be mostly reasonable.  If someone pissed you off, PM them to sort things out.  Just as in real life, there can be misunderstandings.

Personally, I thought that comment was humorous, and it sortof continued an offline conversation Fierofool and I had had a few months ago.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:18:34 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:35 am »
It's difficult to convey voice inflection in print unless one has extensive command of the language and punctuation.  Emoticons help, sometimes but are limited in some aspects.

I don't think we have anyone on the active forum that gets bent out of shape easily.  As Michael said, pm someone first if there's a perceived problem.  Include your phone #.  Coming to meetings and events gives everyone a better understanding of who each person is.  In the case of GTRX's distance, our private conversations have helped him to 'know' many of us a little better.

It does seem that we do have at least one clique, though.  Fortunately, everyone of us are part of it.  When I was President, I always felt bad that I didn't get to spend time with everyone at an event or meeting.  Maybe some thought I was snobby.  Still, maybe some may have been glad  I didn't get to them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:25:29 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:09:04 am »
All's well,  a New Friend /Member Assured me You all are not as I percived, I might be a bit Thin Skined, So Sorry and GTRS you are the Only One I reached out to to 'Splane what Happened but it went to the wrong Person. Maybe the Caretaker of the web site. But thanks again for the work you put in Hope to Meet and See all of you soon. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 12:36:13 pm »
Maybe the Caretaker of the web site.
The Caretaker silently sits and watches from on high... ;)

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 01:06:16 pm »

So was that Post Sent to You ?. It Was sent to A Do Not Reply message I recieved Thinking that was from GTRS, And worse still It was All the Pics and Info I had On the Car Too ! Can It be Retrieved some How? I promise to Play Nice.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 01:22:29 pm »
If you reply to the link in a PM notification, it goes to the Caretaker.  I've done that on a number of occasions and wondered why I never got a reply from the intended recipient.

The only way to reply is to log in, then click on My Messages and follow the prompts.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »

so in the Once on the Internet, Alway's on the internet train wreck, Can we find the post? Aka Challenge Fiero,Man I'm really Jacking this thread..... Sorry