Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125454 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2018, 10:10:28 am »
I was told that, once plugs have been flooded, the plugs are ruined, and cannot be re-used.  This seems unlikely, because the instructions for starting the Fiero when flooded are to floor the accelerator to clear the flood.  Nothing about plugs.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2018, 02:44:16 pm »
If you have to pull your plugs to clean them, CRC Electric Contact Cleaner does a great job.  It will remove deposits, dry almost immediately without leaving a residue, and is non-conductive. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2018, 04:01:25 pm »
I was told that, once plugs have been flooded, the plugs are ruined, and cannot be re-used. 

It depends upon how badly they are "carboned up".
It's possible for plugs to be "killed' that way, but it take more effort than having been flooded one time.

When my car was in the paint shop, they apparently started it up, moved it 40 feet, and then turned it off. Many times. Also left it out in the rain where the plug holes filled with water.
When I started it up to drive it home, it woke up pissed. Skipped and stumbled most the way home. Don't recall if it cleared it's throat, or if I had to change the plugs.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:40 pm »
My Fiero hates me.  Will not stay running.  Ran fine this morning.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2018, 06:15:57 pm »
My Fiero is missing the brake hose brackets on the struts.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2018, 08:06:12 pm »
Apparently, the brake host brackets may not come with some braided brake hoses.  The ones from BTR, Summit, and TFS did not come with the brackets, for example.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:36 pm »
If you have a Fastenal or maybe a Grainger near you, you can get a bracket to go on the hose.  It's P shaped with a rubber insert in the loop and a mounting hole in the leg of the P.  Go to www.clipsandfasteners.com and search for tubing clamps to see an example. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2018, 10:35:43 pm »
For now, the hoses run down from the caliper, then up and to the brake line.  I verified that the hoses are not pinched when the suspension is fully extended.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »
It never fails.  The service engine light came on, just as I went to get classified.  EGR again.  We tightened the HECK out of those bolts.  Went for the 110-mile cruise, no codes.  Still a clunk, though.  Found the front cradle bolts were loose.  Oops.  Tightened those.  Drove to my hotel. Sunday morning, drove from the hotel to the venue for the awards ceremony.  Smoke poured from the engine compartment.  No idea.  After the ceremony, ran the engine in the lot for 10 minutes.  No smoke, no codes, but found an EGR leak under the EGR tube, by the mount plate.  Drove home, service engine light.  I guess it needs a new gasket.  Again.  No smoking or other issues.

Going to check fluids after the engine cools.  Maybe tomorrow.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2018, 10:48:36 am »
Checked the engine oil.  Below the add line.  Puddle under the Fiero.  Rrgh.

Transmission fluid is red and smells good.  Forgot it needs to be checked hot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:50:16 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2018, 08:38:07 pm »
After about 100 miles of driving, my SES light came on.  I need to figure out how to read it, so that I can fix whatever it is griping about.  I also heard a metallic sound like a chain is dragging, or someone is using a grinder.  I guess those dust shields are at it again.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:02 am »
It seems that something in my EGR setup is not flat, which is why I keep blowing gaskets.  I tighten the nuts down very tightly after the gasket between the mount block and the crossover pipe blew, last time.  This time, the gasket between the mount block and the EGR adapter blew.  Maybe it just doesn't like that heat-treated mount block.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:07:56 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2018, 11:47:25 am »
Is the gasket blowing in the same area each time?  This is the only report we've had of any gasket failures with the adapter kit.

Using the picture in the Merchandise section, indicate the area on the adapter plate where the gasket is blowing.  Maybe it will help us to diagnose it. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2018, 08:11:28 pm »
Well, I checked the gasket between the adapter and the mount block.  It was intact, but that was where I felt the leak.  So, I pulled the mount block.  That gasket looked like this, by the time I got the mount block off.

I think this gasket was a week old, a few hundred miles of driving.  No purple gasket left.  I marked both the missing pieces, and the piece that fell into the y-pipe.

I was not implying an issue with the EGR adapter.  I think the issue is the mount block.

Anyway, I replaced the gasket, again, and tightened the heck out of the nuts.  I'll drive it for a few days to see what happens.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
I was asking about the adapter plate in case we needed to make some changes in it.