Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125452 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2018, 09:13:42 pm »
Ran like a champ for 189 miles, but a bit warm.  Got to the library late, so it was closed.

189 miles to go to a library? That's what I call dedication to reading! ;)
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2018, 10:22:39 pm »
Um, the scenic route.  Probably fewer than 5 miles.  However, I have the entire set of Great Books, a collection of several hundred novels, the complete works of several authors, and other interesting reads in my own library, so don't have to go far.  I borrowed a bunch of books 2 weeks ago, and the books were due today.

I'm a country boy, though.  189 miles for a good book isn't unusual.  Growing up, it was 7.5 hours in drive time, round trip, to go to the big library.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
I am not sure why, but most of my idiot lights seem to have quit working.  The e-brake light does not come on, for example.  I get the SES and ajar lights.  The turn signal indicators work.  I think that's it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2018, 09:43:00 pm »
The safety belt warning light worked briefly.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2018, 09:48:33 pm »
I am having the oddest issue, where there is an i termittent sound.  This sound sounds like the bathroom faucet is turned on and water is pouring out, then the faucet is turned off, just like a faucet.  The engine sound does not change, and I'm unable to find any other effects.  The sound often starts after I hit a bump.  Sometimes, letting off the accelerator causes the sound to stop, or at least the sound stops at that time.  Not always, though.

I drove about 400 miles today to get a picture.  Aside from the check engine light coming on when I let off the throttle, and the EGR gasket blowing again, it was a nice drive.  But that noise is getting more frequent--and apparent.  I guess soon it'll be easy to diagnose.

It could be the heater core thing.  One thing I noticed, is that the gauge indicates hot, for the first 30 miles or so of a run, then runs exactly at 220.  Not hot, as in in the red, but just below that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:20 am »
What happens if your valve seals leak?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:12 am »
The engine will burn more oil than if they don't leak.  Leaky oil seals are generally indicated by a puff of blue smoke upon starting a cold engine. 

During operation, oil is pumped up to the valve train and some of it runs down the rocker arms onto the valve springs and valve stem.  There is also some oil splatter.  This lubricates the exposed portion of the valve stem as it moves up and down through the valve guide.  The valve stem seal is located just inside the top of the valve stem guide. 

When the engine is stopped, residual oil flows down the valve stem and puddles on top of the seal area.  If the seal is worn, the oil will seep past it and travel down to puddle on top of the valve if it's closed.  If it's in an open position, it continues to collect in the combustion chamber. 

Upon starting, this oil is quickly flashed off in the initial combustion cycles, creating the brief blue cloud.  If it continues, it could be an indication that the seals and or guides are badly worn, or that the cylinder bore and rings are worn beyond service limits. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »
Leaky valve stem seals were a common issue with '80s GM engines. Especially 305 V8s. (I owned one.)
The general consensus was, "If it's not going through a lot of oil, don't worry about it."

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
I have a cloud for a few minutes at startup, then go through about a quaet of oil every 200 miles.  There are external leaks also, though.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:25 pm »
My Fiero seems to run terribly for the first several minutes after start, as if it's flooded.  The injectors are new, the FPR and MAP are about 3 years old.  Yes, there could be faulty parts.  The thing is, it is completely inconsistent.  It may start up smoothly, or not.

Lately, I'm wondering if it is sensitive to humudity.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:06 am »
Where can I get a scan tool to reset a code on the 7730?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:57 pm »
TFS says there have been no such issues with the heat-coated EGR mount plate.  They suggested that I find out why the exhaust is getting so hot.  Surely, that much heat would cause problems for other gaskets, as well, such as the one on the top of the mount plate.

The only real complaint I have about the engine is that the MPG is low.  The flooding/burning oil should be a separate issue, but perhaps not.

Well, TFS has the heat-coated EGR mount blocks back in stock.  Pricey.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 31, 2019, 04:04:22 pm »
I would check the hot oil pressure at idle, with a mechanical gauge.  Then you can determine if your electric sending unit and gauge are accurate.

Well, this is fun.  These gauges are hard to come by.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2019, 07:45:47 pm »
The auto parts stores sell the gauges that mount underneath the dash and usually have a long coiled nylon pressure tube.  I have a SunPro and another brand, but you can get them at Advance.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bosch-gauges-style-line-2-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-white-face-fst-8206/10717222-P?searchTerm=oil+pressure+gauge
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2019, 09:17:40 pm »
Yes, that is the other one at which I was looking.  I was trying to avoid having to wire it, or is that only for lighting?