Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: It's a Kelmark  (Read 14150 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
It's a Kelmark
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:06 am »
Yep, certainly one of those.

I keep seeing a yellow car around.  I'm usually behind it.  I've seen it all over this area.  This is similar to what I saw, but not exact.  Yesterday, I followed the car, and spoke with the owner.  He built his by hand.  The owner is probably in his '70's.  Nice guy.

Have you seen one of these?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:03:05 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: It's a that.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:17:25 am »
 That look's like A Kelmark Body, I've seen them with V W engins alll the way up tp 455 Oldsmobile engins.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:26:06 am »
You are correct.  I didn't get a chance to ask much about it.  Heck, I didn't even know what to ask.  This gentleman also has several Fieros, and some other vehicles, as well.  He does not belong to any clubs or attend any events.  His Kelmark has nothing to indicate what it is, and has a VW engine, so no speed demon.  The headlight covers look like plexiglass screwed into the body.  His has 2 long black vents in the rear, and 5 or 6 little black things protruding from the rear.  His also has little vents in the side windows.  Maybe his windows don't go down.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:21:04 pm »
My partner and I built 2 of these.  One was a Kelmark GT, the other was a Karma GT.  Both were replicas of the Dino 246 Ferrari.  The Karma was a better kit.  It had a front compartment that opened.  The Kelmark didn't.  The Karma had a reinforcement cage for the rear of the body that was an integral part of the body.  The Kelmark had an optional support framework that bolted to the rear of the chassis and was only a contact support for the rear.  Because of the long unsupported overhang, Kelmarks that didn't have the rear body support would eventually droop causing rear deck closure problems and cracking of the body between the engine bay and the top of the fenderwells. 

The windows in both did operate.  The doors were extremely heavy and on the Kelmark would eventually begin to sag due to lack of reinforcement in the hinge plate area.  The Karma had a solid steel plate from top to bottom, inside the front of the door jamb so the load of the top hinge was distributed over a wide area.  Both would get you wet during rain if you opened the door, unceremoniously dumping water into your lap because it had no drip rails. 

Neither kit we bought came with side markers, though one of them offered them as an option.  I don't remember which.  We bought rectangular trailer marker lights and wired them into the lighting system.  They were cheaper. 

Both ours were built on VW chassis' and were actually quite peppy.  Of course, we usually fly cut the engine case to accept 92mm jugs and pistons, installed a higher lift cam, dual port heads and a set of DelOrto twin carbs.  Estimated HP was about 110. 

Both the ones we built were yellow.  The Karma had multiple vents in the rear deck lid to help engine cooling.  It was a more precise replica than the Kelmark. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: It's a Kelmark
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »
I was sure I'd posted about this car previously, and you'd made a similar reply, but I was unable to find that post.  I hadn't met the guy, at that point.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:19:15 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »
Oh.  What is the difference between the GT and the non-GT?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 06:53:42 pm »
I wasn't aware that there were two versions of either.  There may have been some trim levels, like you mentioned of the two vents in the deck lid or interior finish materials.  The Kelmark had the two vents and the Karma did have an optional deck lid with 6 or 8 small vents.

The picture you posted is a Kelmark.  I remember that the Karma had a rear window that curved into the flying buttresses.  There was some differences in the doors, too but I don't remember what it was, but they wouldn't swap between cars. 

Now, with my car, there was a standard version and a GT and they looked nothing alike.  The regular Bradley looked something like a dune buggy and didn't have doors.  The side window/t-top combo had to be raised and you stepped in over the side wall of the car to get in, ala Dukes of Hazard style.  My GT had full fiberglass gull wing doors. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:00:01 pm »
Apparently, some Kelmarks had gull-wing doors, and others didn't.  Online, I've seen pictures with a whole variety of vent options.  The door frames look sortof bloated, but I find the rest of this Kelmark visually appealing on the outside.  Perhaps the area behind the rear wheels could be shorter.  The interiors appear to vary widely, with some having basically no interior panels.

Apparently, over the span of years these kits were used, they varied widely in appearance.  I'm sure the owners/fabricators contributed to these variances.

The one I followed seemed peppy enough, but it was just city driving.