Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero Owner Needs Help  (Read 16000 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Fiero Owner Needs Help
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:25:33 pm »
Some of you might remember Fan who came to a meeting or two, a few years back.  He lives in Tucker, not far from The Diner. 

He has a GT with a 3800SC that has some issues.  The car stayed at Lee Arnette's for 3 years but was never repaired.  It was then moved to another garage for the next 4 years, but again, was never repaired.  Now, he gets a certified letter telling him he owes $28 per day for storage fees at the garage that couldn't fix it. 

Anyone know of an individual or shop that can resolve some wiring and computer problems and get his car running?  He needs to get the car away from the garage immediately. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Fiero Owner Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:00:40 pm »
I'd love to help, but I'm in the middle of commuting every week, selling and buying a house, moving, honey-do list...
Otherwise, it'd be fun to take it on.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:03:03 pm »
Does it not run at all, as in must be towed, or is it somewhat driveable?

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:59:22 am »
Some of you might remember Fan who came to a meeting or two, a few years back.  He lives in Tucker, not far from The Diner. 

He has a GT with a 3800SC that has some issues.  The car stayed at Lee Arnette's for 3 years but was never repaired.  It was then moved to another garage for the next 4 years, but again, was never repaired.  Now, he gets a certified letter telling him he owes $28 per day for storage fees at the garage that couldn't fix it. 

Anyone know of an individual or shop that can resolve some wiring and computer problems and get his car running?  He needs to get the car away from the garage immediately. 

If he needs a place to store it he can bring it here. Not sure if I could fix it, but I have a helper (30 year old "kid" - lol) that's a wiz at figuring out stuff like that.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:40:40 pm »
It's my understanding that it was running, though maybe poorly when he got it.  I think most of the problem is wiring and ECM issues.  I don't think it's driveable at the moment and I doubt it's been registered in all those years of sitting in someone's driveway or lot.  If we could find someone that's competent, I would be willing to tow it to them as a service to Fan.  After all, I'm the one that sent him to Lee Arnette in the first place. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:16:04 pm »
I talked with the person, tonight, who I thought built the car. Turns out, I was wrong.

"I know the car. We didn't build it. We fixed the build after another shop built it. I honestly barely remember the car. Where did it end up? I remember the owner wanted us to get it repaired just enough to sell it"

So... the builder is a mystery. Looks like we'll have to figure it out on our own. Maybe.
Still, if all the stuff is there, and it ran decently once, there is no reason it can't run decently again.

I'm not above posting pics of it on Pennocks, and asking if anyone knows the car, the build, or the builder.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:19:28 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:37 pm »
I may be slow, but why is the builder important?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:23:56 pm »
I may be slow, but why is the builder important?

Some people actually document (or may remember) their builds.
If he knows what went into it, or better yet, wrote it down, it will be most helpful.

I sold my built-up 3.4 car nine years ago. I know the person who owns it now, and have been able to give him some useful information about what all I did to it. (I don't mind a bit. I'm pleased that it's still running. He's still building upon it.)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 04:51:42 pm »
Update on Fan's car...
The ECM is 16236757. Broadcast code (aka "chip" is CJSJ.)
As GTX stated, it is used in 3.4 applications. But it is also used in 3.1 and 3.8 vehicles. The same ECM and chip/tune.

If you scroll down, there is a listing for all the applications (cars/engines) that are supported. (Surprisingly.)

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/98-99-Grand-Am-Engine-Computer-Ecm-Ecu-3-4L-Id-16236757-Cjsj-BOX39-23841/478884715

Further...
Tunercat lists the same program to read/write all 98 and 99 FWD Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac cars. I'm thinking the program in the PROM would be different, but it looks like the ECM is at least correct.
More, later.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:13 pm »
It seems you, radyar, have more knowledge than I bout what is what and their out put reading in the O B D systems. HECK i WOULD JUST ASK IF i KNEW WHAT WAS TALKING TO WHAT. iDLE SPEED very high 3500 hun. IcAN stick my finger in the IAC port and have great Idle . New IAC WHAT IS TELLING IT TO RUN FAST. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:55 pm »
Steve, do you think it would be worthwhile to have Ryan just provide a correct ECM for a 2001 Grand Prix SC rather than try to sort through that one?  Or should a new chip burn be tried first? 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »
I'm sorry I had to bug out after having set this up.  There was a total miscommunication when the individuals from Alabama called me, being the reason I had to leave. 

See the new thread in General Discussion.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 09:56:19 pm »
Steve, do you think it would be worthwhile to have Ryan just provide a correct ECM for a 2001 Grand Prix SC rather than try to sort through that one?  Or should a new chip burn be tried first?

Is it a 2001 engine? I had forgotten.
I've been talking with Stephen Poe, in Texas. He went down the list of mods that were visible to the eye. Says he has a tune that will accommodate most everything visible. (Apparently it's similar to an engine he built at some time.)
I'm thinking about just sending the PCM to him and letting him program it. That is, if he can't send me the file, and let me do it myself. I already have a programmer, so that still might be a possibility.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 10:23:11 pm »
That's what Fan told me.  2001 Grand Prix. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 08:44:10 am »
Okay. Next question...
Does it run poorly? Or not at all?

I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel, if I don't have to.
Thanks!

Edit - We didn't even try to run the car. There was no battery in it. Did Mike remove it for safekeeping? Or is it MIA?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:49:57 am by Raydar »