Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Looking for someone who can weigh my car. Each corner individually.  (Read 15480 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
I have been having an issue with my left front wheel locking up long before the others. I have done all the usual stuff. Checked/replace hoses, calipers, and pads. Bled everything to a fare-thee-well. Etc., etc. I have replaced everything but the master cylinder and proportioning valve.

I was looking for a proportioning valve, when someone suggested that my suspension might be unevenly loaded. If the left front is not holding up its fair share of the weight, it could, theoretically, make the wheel lock up prematurely. (This, in spite of my fat azz being in the driver's seat.)

With that said... I probably should have the car weighed, corner by corner. Lots of race shops are equipped to do this but, unfortunately, I don't know any of them.
Anyone have any suggestions? (I have already heard the suggestion of driving up to the weigh-station scales, when they're closed. Don't really want to try that, just yet.)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
How about the brake hoses?  Maybe the right front is starting to collapse and not letting an even amount of pressure go to both front wheels?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
Let me make a phone call and I should have access to a set of scales. We can find corner weights, cross weights, front %, rear %, with without driver,  etc

GTXVette

• View Profile
  Hey Scott,  I would surely like to get in on that also, I haven't Scaled mine yet and really need to. Season has started AGAIN and I'm still not ready.
                     Thanks.   

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Charlie, the brake hoses, calipers, and pads have been replaced. Thinking about it, the car has been that way, as far back as I can remember. Nothing that I have done, has helped.
I was about to try to find a proportioning valve. It's the next - and last - logical piece to replace. If I have to, I'll steal one off of the "ghost in the machine" (aka "the project".) But I'd rather not.
The master cylinder is really not suspect, since it feeds both fronts out of one port. The proportioning valve splits it up, left to right.

Scott, sounds good. Please let me know what you find out. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
You could convert your Fiero to right drive, to see if the weight change helped.  J/k.

Seriously, though, after the scales, you could test brake pressure at the caliper, for each wheel, or at least for the front wheels.  I would expect them to be the same, side to side.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:01:58 am by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
You could convert your Fiero to right drive, to see if ghe weight change helped.  J/k.

Seriously, though, after the scales, you could test brake pressure at the caliper, for each wheel, or at least for the front wheels.  I would expect them to be the same, side to side.

That's a thought. But, just like the scales, I don't have the tools handy, to measure this.
Fieroguru quoted some really high pressure numbers. Takes better equipment than I've got. But That's probably next, if I don't just "shotgun it", and replace the proportioning valve.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Well, see what the scales show.  Maybe a trip to Champaign, IL is in your future.

Just curious, but how do you do the track stuff and the RFTH events with brakes like this?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
There's a good proportioning valve on the Warrior Project car. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
There's a good proportioning valve on the Warrior Project car.

That's a thought. I'll message Paul, later on. Thank you. :)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for someone who can weigh my car. Each corner individually.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 12:02:15 am »
No scales, yet?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 05:49:54 am »
Not yet. Have some leads...

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:51:00 pm »
Still nothing?

This will be available at the 35th.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 10:36:51 pm »
Raydar, do the other 3 wheels lock up?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 03:58:19 pm »
The other day, I managed to lock up the front right side. So it may just have been road conditions. Not going to worry about it too much, for now.
Car isn't drivable, just now, anyway.