Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Aerodonamic Work Session  (Read 20584 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Aerodonamic Work Session
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2018, 11:38:29 am »
No, I have to thank you three guys.  The right guys were there to solve a major problem.  Just to bad a new one cropped up on the test run. I know my wife would not put up with the sound comming from the "fuel pump", we hope.   The last time I heard a sound like that was when I was about to run out of gas.  But the gas gauge says there is half a tank.  Will have to wait till Michael drops the tank to see what the problem is.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 12:18:37 pm »
No more problems until after RFTH!

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2018, 09:24:10 pm »
The weird thing about the noise is the intensity of the sound changes according to the electrical load. When you put on the turn signal it changes sound along with the flash. Same thing when you hit the brakes and the stop lights come on. Any ideas?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:11 pm »
Talked with Roger today about the coolant fan running.  He said to disconnect the ground from the low-pressure switch.  The cycle switch up front will take care of that function.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:26 pm »
Are the noise and coolant fan the same issue?  Otherwise, I'd check the alternator.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 09:44:27 pm »
No.  Different issues.  You can hear the fuel pump by opening the filler door and removing the cap or placing your ear against the console armrest. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2018, 09:48:02 pm »
The weird thing about the noise is the intensity of the sound changes according to the electrical load. When you put on the turn signal it changes sound along with the flash. Same thing when you hit the brakes and the stop lights come on. Any ideas?

The sound is changing because the other stuff is drawing current, which is causing the voltage to the pump to sag just a bit.
You can measure the voltage at the FP fuse, in the fuse box.
With the box snapped up in it's normal position, it'll be the dark read fuse, nearest the edge of the dash, 2nd from the left.
If you REALLY want to be accurate, you can measure the voltage at the yellow plug, on the firewall, just above the tank. I forget which wires, though.
If the voltage is too low, it will cause the pump to draw excessive current. (Too low voltage can be as damaging as too high voltage, over time.)
I noticed that one of the fusible links had been replaced. If there's a bad connection on that link, it might be what's going on. The fuel pump fuse is always hot. So is the feed for the headlights, and lots of other stuff. I had that same link to act up on my car. A replacement fusible link had a bad connection that eventually failed. (Mine was the big red wire that disappeared under the sail panel, and went to the whole front of the car.)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2018, 09:48:59 pm »
Weak electrical connection?  Bad brushes, or whatever the fuel pump motor uses?

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 03:06:40 pm »
Talked with Roger today about the coolant fan running.  He said to disconnect the ground from the low-pressure switch.  The cycle switch up front will take care of that function.

I cut the ground wire for the low pressure switch and there is no fan operation. The ac runs a few minutes until the high pressure switch cuts off the compressor.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
Does the fan work at all? 

How did the car perform over the weekend?  Any stalling? 

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 04:10:01 pm »
Does the fan work at all? 

How did the car perform over the weekend?  Any stalling?

I didn't run it long enough to see if the engine temp switch turns it on for cooling. It does not run during ac operation. It didn't stall at all over the weekend...close to 45 miles of driving.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 05:15:13 pm »
It's probably better that it run all the time than not to run while the AC is energized.  The AC puts a lot of extra heat in front of the radiator. 

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 06:12:45 pm »
I agree with keeping the fan on , at least this Summer. check the sensor that tells the  computer to turn on the fan, Max AC is one engine temp is one ,

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 06:59:30 pm »
Does anyone have a pair of the old style pressure switches?  Would also need the harness ends with a pigtail to convert back from the new style switches.  I'm wondering if separating the grounds for the switches would make any difference.  Even though both of the old styles were grounded through the common compressor case, I wonder if the high and low-pressure feeds are the culprits because either high or low pressure is feeding a ground circuit. 

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 07:36:18 pm »
Replacing the switches would involve evacuating the ac and possibly removing the compressor to swap the switches. The fan may just have to run all the time......