Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: August Club Meeting  (Read 15610 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
August Club Meeting
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
If you're in town, join us at the Galaxy Diner at 1:30pm on 8/11.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: August Club Meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »
If Michael is agreeable to it, anyone up to another work session after the meeting?  We have Fan's car and Michael's car that needs attention. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 04:09:39 pm »
Works for me. We need to get Mikes car moving under its own power.

Fan's car? I'm almost ready to suggest that he send it to Stephen Poe in Texas. (Stephen is Mstangsbeware on Pennocks. He's probably the best 3800 person I know of.) But I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.
To be fair, I still haven't really looked at it, but 3800s are uncharted waters for me.
Still wish I knew what kind of BS the other "mechanics" perpetrated upon it. If I knew from the get go that something was bad, it would save a bunch of time and effort, troubleshooting. 
Of course, figuring out what a problem is, is probably best solved by figuring out what it isn't.

Is Bob's car sorted?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:14:44 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:32:31 pm »
Just FYI, mstangsbeware was the person who highly recommended to me the person who did the work on my Fiero.  No reflection of Stephen's work, but Stephen has seen the other person's work.  There is a huge difference between "working" and "right".  I could have rented a storage unit and done the work myself for less, and probably in less time, but my Fiero would certainly have been cleaner and the stickers woulldn't all be unreadable.  Somebody else did an LS4 down there, and it's a mess.  Someone down there did a 3800SC in a Mera, and it's also a mess.

Stephen does do most of his own work, and he hasn't done anything for me, but make sure you know what you're getting.

Edit: Several people at the 35th vouched for Stephen's work.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:18:32 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:41:51 am »
Good info. Thanks.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:05:22 am »
If, it's a computer problem, we can get another easy, wiring is search and repair, as you know.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:45:00 am »
If, it's a computer problem, we can get another easy, wiring is search and repair, as you know.

I think the computer has been replaced. (There are labels that indicate that.)
The part# is correct for a 3800. Not sure what has been done to the tune, however.
Stephen has offered to send me a tune, based upon the mods that are visible. I just need to get it started, and connect a scan tool to see what's what.   

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:13:08 pm »
Good info. Thanks.

I should've worded that differently.  Be sure to check the prior work and establish timelines for anyone who is doing work on your Fiero.  If you look at the work done on my Fiero, some people may have been happy with the work.  Understand that someone who can do engine work very well may not be able to do AC or wiring worth having.  Also, how does the person react under pressure.  Problems will inevitably develop.  Both you and the person doing the work must understand this and be prepared to deal with it.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:31 pm »
Works for me. We need to get Mikes car moving under its own power.

Fan's car? I'm almost ready to suggest that he send it to Stephen Poe in Texas. (Stephen is Mstangsbeware on Pennocks. He's probably the best 3800 person I know of.) But I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.
To be fair, I still haven't really looked at it, but 3800s are uncharted waters for me.
Still wish I knew what kind of BS the other "mechanics" perpetrated upon it. If I knew from the get go that something was bad, it would save a bunch of time and effort, troubleshooting. 
Of course, figuring out what a problem is, is probably best solved by figuring out what it isn't.

Is Bob's car sorted?

Bob's car is all squared away except for the cooling fan running all the time. I checked and rechecked everything and can't figure out why its on. Drove it home tonight and will drive it to the meeting tomorrow.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:04 pm »
Can't make the meeting tomorrow. Gotta take the steering column apart.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 11:07:42 am »
I also can not make it, no good excuse! UNLESS , Race Car............hey at least it's a FIERO. Just got home with the Engine from Scott, so gonna take off the heads and using them as they say 30 hp better. no matter cheaper than doing valves on the heads I have.       I know everyone is prepping for the rtth, challenge is 1 month after that, I COULD USE A HAND TOO.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 12:42:50 pm »
I'm not going to make it either. Stomach bug or bad food from a breakfast restaurant. It hit suddenly so I'm thinking the restaurant. 
 Nothing beats paying money for the food that gives you the grunts!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 05:22:45 pm »
...Stomach bug or bad food...

I hate it when that happens. Hope you feel better.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 05:44:44 pm »
John, I will need to look at my daughter's work schedule.  I don't know what good I can do, but I'll let you know what day I can come over. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 07:37:29 pm »
thank you charlie,  when I can get head gaskets I will get back on the engine so that leaves lots of under carrage clean up and paint, also have to buff and touch up the paint, I have visions of Grandure but will settle for paint with out so many runs, soooo sand and buff. you can change your mind, it is mostly heavy labor, sanding that is, just lots of little things , remember the guage panel I want to bend a wrap of aluminum around that to cover the wires and make it like a dash cover, I have metal and a bunch of stuff to make bends the old fashon way, then cover some edges that have rust with panels inside the engine area, simple stuff for a couple people but a lot by yourself.  yes it was a running car? but getting tired so she wants a refresh.