Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Air Filters  (Read 14244 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Air Filters
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:04:28 pm »
While at Coffee & Cars this morning an RX7 owner was telling me how great K&N air filters are.  So I looked them up.

$50.00 for an air filter!?! 

Does this guy work for K&N or is there a noticeable difference between a $50 K&N air filter and a regular $10 air filter?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:15:23 pm by pgackerman »
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:50:47 pm »
I have had a K&N in my 87 as long as I've owned it.  I can tell a little difference in the sound between it and the standard filter in the 86.
 It's supposed to breathe bettter.  It's made of stainless steel mesh.  It's designed to be washed and recharged.  The initial filter and recharge is a little expensive, but the recharge bottle is good for 3-5 recharges.  Afterward, new recharge bottles keep bringing down the average cost of filters. 

Divide the cost of the kit by the number of recharges it says you can get, then compare that with the cost of a regular filter. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:19:37 pm »

I only put about 5K miles on my Fiero per year.  The average air filter lasts around 20K miles. 

The only reason to replace my air filter with a K&N would be some sort of performance improvement -- sound, horsepower, 0-60 mph time, cost, and/or reliability. 

I like how my car sounds below 4500 rpm so the improvement would have to be one of the other three points, since cost and sound are already disqualified. 

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:49:21 pm »
When I was working on asphalt Super Late Models (NASCAR pee wee league) the engine builder said do not under any circumstances use  a K&N air filter.True, they flow a lot of air, but they dont stop any dirt. Ypu are much better off running a paper filter. If a paper filter is good enough for a $20,000.00 engine its good enough for my $1,500.00 car. Your mileage may vary.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:01:50 pm »

Good answer.  Thank you.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:25 pm »
When I was working on asphalt Super Late Models (NASCAR pee wee league) the engine builder said do not under any circumstances use  a K&N air filter.True, they flow a lot of air, but they dont stop any dirt. Ypu are much better off running a paper filter.

Thank you for chiming in. I had heard similar, but didn't want to fill the thread with "hear-say".

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:30:56 pm »
Good to know.  I guess it's hupe.