Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A quick introduction  (Read 14944 times)

PK

• View Profile
A quick introduction
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:49:10 am »
Greetings fellow Fiero owners. 

I have recently registered and have had a few weeks of perusing the club forum and site, so now probably time for a quick introduction.

I live in Oxfordshire in England. My interests include small American cars that no one has ever heard of.

My Fiero, Dangermouse, is a 1986 V6 SE which I have owned for at least 20 years. 

There are not many here and the majority made their way over with the USAF in the late 80s. Mine through RAF Mildenhall in 1988.  It is one of several vehicles that will be with me for life.   It was originally gold but is now a dark Mercedes metallic blue.   I only have phone access to the interweb so will struggle to share a pic.

I greatly appreciate the invite to the Georgia Fiero Club and am enjoying having a good read and explore on the site/forum.  Maybe I will make it over for an event in the future.... Run for the hills sounds loike a lot of fun.

I have a question that I have not yet found the answer to...  Is it possible to subscribe to the newsletter?  I found the thread about a newsletter but now sure if/how it's viewable?

Thanks again and looking forward to further interaction with the club.

Cheers
PK

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A quick introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:32:12 am »
Hi PK. Welcome to the forum.
The newsletters are available in the forum section "Club News", topic "Newsletter". There are links to PDF files of the newsletters. Most phones can download and view a PDF.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
Aha, thank you TopNotch.  Obviously a bit more exploring to do.  I was reading the "newsletter responses" thread but managed to completely miss the pinned topic! 

That should keep me or of trouble for a few hours.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:36 pm »
Welcome, PK.

There is a mailing list for the newsletters, also.  You can be added to that, if you want.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:57 pm »
Oh.  If you send pics to the club email, I'll post the pics.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 06:39:52 am »
PK you almost get the long distance award but Former club President  THE DONSTER , Is living in Germany, Fiero123 is in Austrailia I believe that is correct. so this club has many members that are not Quite local, even GTRS is from Misory (spelling intensional). and if you or your friends want Fiero's  sent over we can hook you up. I wonder how many we can stack in a container ?

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:32 pm »
I have 3 you can have.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 08:23:39 am »
Welcome.

Sounds like you're a Newsletter article in the making.

Do you know for certain how your Fiero got to the UK?
What attracted you to Fieros?
How did you wind up with it?
Any issues keeping it running?
How do folks react as you drive around the UK and the rest of Europe?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:06:40 am by pgackerman »
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:54 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I suffer severe garage envy looking at American garages! I don't have one..... So dangermouse lives in huge complex that used to be a mushroom farm right next to RAF Brize Norton.  There is plenty of room but sadly a few miles from my house which makes work on vehicles frustrating at times.. And also ideal conditions for mushrooms are not ideal conditions for Fieros.... Damp and dark!  The point of my waffling is that I will need to make a journey to take a picture of the Fiero to send to GTRS to post for me.

My Fiero definitely came on through RAF Mildenhall, there is some paperwork from the import.  Also the US import tag is still on the car keyring.

I originally bought the Fiero to do a Finale kit having met the designer of the kit at a car show.  His name was Peter (Green?) and the company was candy Apple cars....I have a terrible memory so all or non of that might be accurate!! After driving around in it for a few weeks with an insane grin on my Face I decided that I liked it just fine as it was. 

There are many many issues in keeping it running.  No parts availability at all in parts stores. 

Many years of importing bits has taught me

to double dollar prices and change to £ sign to get parts price including shipping/postage/customs.

Never buy from rockauto (broken/used bits) that they want returning before sending real parts. Not such an issue if you are in the same country I'm sure.

Always buy from sir Rodney of dickman whenever possible.

That Todd Guy, Todd W has been a real help in sourcing and sending parts.

No easy reference to what is 'normal'.

Most people have no clue at all what the Fiero is in the UK.  This includes my insurance company who have it on their system/my documents as a FIERRO.  Mine has been mostly debadged at some point by the previous owner so there are very few clues on the car.  Everyone is always really shocked when they find out it is an American car. 

Thanks again for the lovely welcome.

Cheers
PK

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 05:30:54 pm »
You may want to run a dehumidifier and some lighting in that complex.  Also, do not park your Fiere directly on concrete--and certainly not on grass or dirt.

There are big garage balloons.  You drive your car into the balloon, and inflate the balloon.  The balloon remains sealed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:36:49 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Always buy from sir Rodney of dickman whenever possible.

Usually, this holds true, but I would choose the TFS EGR tube over Rodney's, unless I was stuck on the stock appearance.  Rodney's tube is fine, but the braided tube that TFS sells has a much better appearance.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:12:18 pm by GTRS Fiero »

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 02:00:58 pm »
TFS postage and import duty is severe so sadly haven't used then for a good while.

I have a dehumidifier running all day every day to keep the mushrooms at bay.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »
You'll have to localize your dehumidified environment to the car, usually by using something like a plastic container.  You can use a frame and plastic sheeting.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 12:01:29 am »
I looked at these a while ago https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polytunnel-Galvanised-Frame-6m-x-3m-Greenhouse-Pollytunnel-Poly-Tunnel-6-Section-/130851842524 but decided there was a chance of causing more harm than good if a pole fell on the car.

I really like the balloon idea and had a quick search but found noubt

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 03:13:46 am »