Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Board of Directors for 2019  (Read 18122 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Board of Directors for 2019
« on: September 25, 2018, 05:38:44 pm »
I think it's that time of year, again.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Board of Directors for 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:17:08 pm »
Don't everyone volunteer at once!

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:51:54 am »
WHY Change anything,  nothing has changed. there is no new Blood in the club, And if you do NOT promote a Club, how would anyone know about it, OR care.
      AT This moment, only a person with a Fiero, that comes Hunting for us, can find us.    Why you may ask.  well let me start.

no. 1     No event percipitation, the biggest Gathering we do is the Galaxy Diner, and NO One else see's us, there are 4-5 events in the Area EVERY week end .

We need to meet at a place that is more 'Modern'  and a lot more Visible. and no I don't like  the Food .  I want others to say their peace here, Something must be done.   

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:37:43 pm »
There are lots of local Fiero owners out there that know about Georgia Fieros.  Many that have owned Fieros for a long time, and also new blood.  I can easily identify a dozen local Fiero owners that have come to us in time of need.  Many that are totally unknown to the other members of the club.  People that have found us online, called The Diner and been given my phone number. 

What I'm about to say is directed at those people, and no one that is active with the club should take offense or think it's directed at them. 

My experience with those out there that know of us is that they only come around when they want something.  They need technical assistance or a used part or a source for a part or someone to fix something or they want to sell something.  There are some individuals that I've been dealing with for 8 years or more that I never hear from unless they want something.  I've worked on people's cars for free.  Given people free parts or greatly discounted parts and labor.  I've even gone to their homes or places of business and worked on their cars for free and I know some of our other members have done the same.  When I've solved someone's problem over the phone or through emails, I don't even get a reply that my advise solved the problem, or a Thank You, even when I email them again to ask if the problem is fixed.  I'm glad to do that for participating members, whether they pay dues or not, but there comes a point that this old 74-year-old brain becomes very forgetful and can't remember how to fix something. 

Some of them have claimed to just love the car and are very anxious to get it running so they can join us.  As soon as it's fixed, it goes up for sale.  On occasion, that's happened with my free parts and labor.  Given willingly in hopes of only getting new blood into the club. 

We've had people come to meetings seeking assistance, only to find that once they got what they wanted, the car was sold.  One individual showed up the first time in a car that had a front wheel literally falling off and was overheating.  A complete front hub replacement and coolant fill and burp was done in The Diner parking lot.  I believe that individual might have returned just once, but within a year we found that car in the Pull-A-Part South yard. 

I don't know what the solution is for bringing those persons in.  Maybe if we give a free door prize with a minimum value of $100 at each meeting and event we attend, the freeloaders may show up. 

As for our core group, I understand that everyone can't attend every function, whatever or wherever it may be.  But this core group has kept the club alive.  Many have assisted some of those people I described above, probably with the same wishful thinking as I. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:04:33 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:34 pm »
I will throw my hat in the ring for a board member, and officer if needed.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »
WHY Change anything,  nothing has changed. there is no new Blood in the club, And if you do NOT promote a Club, how would anyone know about it, OR care.
      AT This moment, only a person with a Fiero, that comes Hunting for us, can find us.    Why you may ask.  well let me start.

no. 1     No event percipitation, the biggest Gathering we do is the Galaxy Diner, and NO One else see's us, there are 4-5 events in the Area EVERY week end .

We need to meet at a place that is more 'Modern'  and a lot more Visible. and no I don't like  the Food .  I want others to say their peace here, Something must be done.

I speak for no one, but most of the comments I've heard about the food at the Diner have been positive.  The Diner has been an ideal place to meet, both for the people who attend, and in terms of the Diner's willingness to work with the club.

Over the years, I have been to a number of Fiero events.  In the final analysis, the people who volunteer to do the work make the decisions.  This club has been around for 21 years, and has long-term members.  A handful of people do all the work.  If you look back through the history, it's the same names, over and over.  These people are dedicated.  Year after year, no one else steps forward.  There is only so much a given person can do.  So, the club maintains, but nothing changes.  When I have asked about things, the answer is always the same: will you run that?

Of all the Fiero events I've attended, none have attracted new members.  It doesn't matter about the context.  I have attended Fiero events in 11 states, and the events have been everything from open to all vehicles, to sports cars, to mid-engine, to domestic, to Pontiac, to GM, to '80's cars, etc.  People who wanted to join a club joined a club.  Most Fiero clubs have the same core group doing everything.  In the final analysis, each club must do what is best for the club, which usually means doing what the majority of the volunteers/leaders want.  This forum comes up easily in a search.  The meeting details and email address are easy to find.  People email the club regularly.

As Fierofool hinted, you can't turn off the core group in the hopes of attracting new members.  Without the core group, there is no club.

What attracts new members?  The Fiero?  Other cars?  Personal relationships?  The food?  Assistance?  Gimmicks?  Personally, I got a Fiero to try to help develop the relationships.  I enjoy my Fiero.  Gimmicks don't attract me.  I do like to have good food available.  I like work sessions.  I am not good at talking, and abhor sitting around.  I would suggest that, if no personal relationship is developed, people won't come back.  When I go to an event, I'm open to meeting new people, but I am usually on the lookout for certain people.  I usually accomplish what I set out to do.

One of the things I did was to read EVERY post in every thread on this forum.  Literally.  This took many hours, but was very instructive.  There have been numerous efforts to attract new members.  There have been activities planned with other groups, track days, and meets at other locations.  Club cards have been distributed.  It seems to me that what you see is what worked.  GFC does participate in several other sports-car events, such as the Polar Bear Run.  You can read about that one.  GFC hosts an annual event.  That event is the best thing going for the club.  People come from across the country to attend.  Without that event, GFC will never grow.  Therefore, the focus needs to start with growing that event.  Once there are additional members, the club could look at additional events.  For now, I think the best we can do is to be sure to attend each club event and activity.

If there is a location that would be a better alternative, I encourage you to bring it up at a club meeting.

Are you running to be a board member?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:56:21 pm »
I will throw my hat in the ring for a board member, and officer if needed.

Speaking of dedicated core members.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:10 pm »
as far as core members go I don't want them turned OFF    I want to light them UP !

I agree with what you say mostly,   If you ever try to find the diner, I suggest GPS or printed directions. It's an Old tired looking building in an older 'hood'.

I ain't Scared to cold call another meeting/eating venue, HONESTLY,I don't dress the part so Sarge would be better looking for the job, but not better LOOKING.

Lol,  Pat and Charlie are some sort of officers for life, So there.

Let's build some excitement
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:30:25 pm by GTXVette »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:22:28 am »
Did we get 5 board member volunteers?

For those who have served as a board member, how much work is actually involved?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:21:31 am »
... It's an Old tired looking building in an older 'hood'.

They also cater to car people. There are several car clubs / cruise-ins that happen there, besides us.
Some of the restaurants where we used to meet were happy to take our money, but they did f__-all to accommodate us.
For example, if there was a game on TV, all the TVs were blasting the game so loudly that we couldn't even talk. Even the ones in the area where we met. 
Not a lot of places are willing to do individual checks for parties of...  more than about two.
One place even had a laptop computer come up missing, and all but accused us of taking it. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:33:32 am »
It seems as if Maria has a personable relationship with GFC, where we work together for the mutual benefits.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »
She does.  She's usually the one that takes our orders and serves us.  Other staff only take our drink orders.  Or spill them on us. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »
Did we get 5 board member volunteers?

For those who have served as a board member, how much work is actually involved?

Very little work.  Most of the board work is simply approving a request by the officers to spend more than the $50 limit.  They are the ones who actually install the officers at the beginning of the year and they can call meetings to address problems with officers. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 08:08:27 pm »
So, the board appoints officers to do most of the work?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 09:33:10 pm »
Officers are elected by the general membership.   They run the club.  The Board might be called the watchdog.  They are there to prevent a run-amuck situation such as we had back in 2006-7 where the club funds were depleted and we were put into some serious debt.  The Board at that time wasn't doing a good oversight job nor enforcing the charter and by-laws.  Just like a company, the Board sits quietly in the background but assures the company is run properly.