Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 88 Duke Exhaust Question  (Read 15084 times)

Donster

• View Profile
88 Duke Exhaust Question
« on: January 03, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »
Can somebody tell me if the muffler on the 88 Duke is identical to the one from the 1988 V6?I've looked at mine on the L4 (did not take measurements, assume pipes are 2"), and according to the P22 (which has no pictures of the 88 with dual pipes, only the singular pipes on the driver's side), they look identical.I'm asking, because nobody in Germany seems to be able to find an 88 Duke exhaust with dual pipes, only for the V6. That would be funny if they were identical, wouldn't it?
Cheers,
\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 88 Duke Exhaust Question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:12:51 pm »
No, it isn't the same.  The V6 muffler is a cross-flow muffler with two outlets.  The L4 is a single outlet muffler.  Having said that, the 88 Duke had the same rear fascia as the Formula.  It has cutouts on both sides for exhaust tips.  A V6 exhaust could be mounted onto the L4.  A common cross-flow muffler replacement is the Flowmaster 80 series muffler.  You would need to secure tips to attach to it.  Over here, Monza tips are suitable for that purpose, but I have no idea what's available over there.

The Fiero Store sells these:
https://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=54442%20%20%20%20%20PAIR&d=218&p=1

You would also need hangers, since you don't have the spring support system for the muffler, and the muffler doesn't have provisions for the springs.  These aren't indicated for the 88, but you would need something similar for both sides.
https://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=60189%20%20%20%20%20RH&d=218&p=1
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »
I mounted a dual outlet exhaust on my 88 coupe. I think it came from an Indy, but I'm not certain.
I've mounted other V6 exhaust systems under other 88 Duke cars, too.
There was never a dual outlet system made, for the 88 coupe.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:12 pm »
Our Coupe HAS two outlets. It also has both tips, that are removable, see uploaded image.

I would be satisfied, if the dimensions were at least close, I could make it fit.
\D
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:45:01 pm »
It used to be that we went to an exhaust shop, and they had straight pipe of various sizes, and bending equipment.  They made everything on the spot.  Anything like that available there?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:49:36 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:51:07 pm »
It used to be that we went to an exhaust shop, and they had straight pipe of various sizes, and bending equipment.  They made everything on the spot.  Anyghing like that available there?

Just me! :-)
That's why I said I'd be satisfied if the dimensions were close, I could make it fit. I have a Turkish friend, who has a garage with lifter, welders, tools and the whole 9 yards.
Just wish his heater would work better.............lol

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 06:19:55 pm »
The exhaust on my yellow duke is from  my Formula parts car.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
Update:
I had been looking for a dual exhaust for the 88 Duke but couldn't find one here in Germany.
Reason I wanted a new one was that ours had a terrible rattle and was rather loud, hence, I thought time for a new one.A friend of ours might not be Fiero savvy, but he DOES KNOW cars.
He asked "Didn't you just recently replace your cat conv?" I asked him why he wanted to know and he asked what it looked like on the inside? I said it was completely empty and rusted out. He said "That's your problem. The parts from your cat are now in your muffler!"We took it out today, cut it open, and sure enough, all good except for fragments from the converter. Removed them, packed it a little with glass wool and welded it shut again and installed it.
Sounds like a new muffler!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:46:06 pm by Donster »
Life is good!

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 01:32:28 am »
Ahaaaaa.  A much neater solution than trying to neatly fold a system into a package from the US of A.  A bit like stainless brake pipes but on a grander scale. ;0)

Also amasing, sounds like you did find an option for the V6 in Germany??

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 04:46:48 pm »
Good "save"!

By the way, the stock Duke exhaust system only has the outlets on the driver's side. That looks like a V6 (or a 4 cylinder SE or Indy) system.
Not that it mattes, now. :D

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:51:40 pm »
I like the symmetry of tips on both sides.  Maybe someone else did, too.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 05:38:29 am »
Good "save"!

By the way, the stock Duke exhaust system only has the outlets on the driver's side. That looks like a V6 (or a 4 cylinder SE or Indy) system.
Not that it mattes, now. :D

Guess ours is an "SE". If it wasn't already, it is now. Hah!  ;D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 08:20:12 am »
There wasn't an SE model in 88.  The coupe shared the same body pieces with the Formula. 

86 and 87 SE models all had the aero package and were also available with the Duke engine.  Those Dukes were equipped with the quad exhausts, giving it the same appearance of the V6's.  The 85 SE V6 had quad exhausts resembling the later Formula exhaust, not having the chrome megaphones.  The Indy also had the quad exhaust with chrome megaphones. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 06:04:09 pm »
Were there functional quad tips, also, or just the cutouts?

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 01:02:44 am »
Were there functional quad tips, also, or just the cutouts?

Ours are functional.
The exhaust has one inlet and two outlets.
After cutting it open, I found three SS internal pipes, all still in good shape, hence it was worth saving.
Life is good!