Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Insuring, registering, and keeping 5+ cars running  (Read 14262 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Insuring, registering, and keeping 5+ cars running
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:51:41 pm »

I see posts on Pennock's from folks that own multiple Fieros and other cars.  My questions is, How do they economically insure, register, and keep running all these vehicles? 

Granted, some might be parts cars, but many of the sigs list 5+ Fieros.  I'm guessing it's not a family affair that keeps them running.  Instead it's just one owner who enjoys the vehicle.

So how do they keep the cars running and legal without going bankrupt? 

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Insuring, registering, and keeping 5+ cars running
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:48 pm »
From what I have observed with others who own so many Fieros, there is first a matter of income.  If you have $100K or more a year in disposable income, owning 5+ Fieros isn't that difficult.  Some of us have maybe $100 a month in disposable income.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:29:15 pm »
At one time, I had a Dodge and a Ford truck, a Grand Prix, and 3 Fieros.  All registered and insured.  They were all paid for so there was no requirement for full coverage.  Melanie and I had an income of about $60K with lots of medical expenses and medical debt, but now I'm down to less than half that.  Still have the debt that I'm paying.  Not a great deal of discretionary income, but being a member of Georgia Fieros was and is a great benefit in keeping Fieros running.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
Some people incur debt to get a lot of fun cars.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:03:39 pm »
The only Fiero I bought on credit was the 87.  Financed it through Melanie's Credit Union.  Paid cash for the other 6 or 7 I've owned. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:01 am »
Someone financed their Ford GT.  They cannot afford to license it, so the car just sits, while they make car and insurance payments.  Meanwhile, they are missing maintenance services.

While on a cruise, I met a guy who had financed a DeLorean.  Apparently, the first DeLorean he bought/financed developed cancer, so was junked.  He still owed $12K on that one, but financed another DeLorean, for a bit more.  He couldn't afford tires and such.

I have wondered how, if someone finances a used vehicle, they can pay for major vehicle expenses.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:31:11 am »
In general, it is a bad idea to finance a car. Sometimes the car will depreciate faster than the loan is paid off, For an old person like me, it's better to keep what I have running.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:31:51 am »
I've financed used vehicles.  Most recently because the rate was less than 2% and my mortgage was higher than 2%.  So extra money went to the mortgage.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:21 am »
Buying a vehicle can be compared to buying a house or paying income tax, social security, and health insurance.  We may have the disposable income to pay for such items, except that we don't have it in a lump sum. 

Imagine if you had no deductions from your paycheck for Federal and State Taxes and had to pay it all out at the time you filed.  It would be much more difficult for the majority of people. 

When we bought the 87, it was financed.  Made monthly payments to the credit union for 2 years.  When we bought the Ford Truck, we paid cash.  Took part of the money out of Melanie's investments and part from my 401K.  We probably ended up paying more than had we financed it, due to withdrawal penalties and loss of interest, but at least we didn't need to provide full insurance coverage.