Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Pumping the brakes  (Read 13853 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Pumping the brakes
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:49:09 pm »
How many of you have to pump the brakes on your Fiero?  Is this for hard stops, for slick stops, or just regular stopping?

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping the brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:06:50 am »

Only pump my brakes in slick conditions.

ABS is the one modern item I'd like in Fieros.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:03 am »
Shouldn't be too hard to add.  You could use the solenoid and such from an early Saturn.  Probably easier on an automatic, due to space concerns.

I think that the issue is more about feel and control of the brakes.  Any vehicle with numb brakes is hard to control.  Some vehicles brake more like an on/off switch.  Since the brake work on my Fiero, this hasn't been an issue.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:19:02 am »
During RFTH, I pump my brakes rapidly to warn vehicles behind that we're approaching a very sharp curve.  Though I can stop efficiently with the 87, I sometimes let off once and reapply the brakes to get a better pedal because I failed to properly adjust my calipers when I installed new pads on the rear.

When I lived in snow country, before ABS and FWD cars became the norm, I had tried pumping, but it wasn't that effective.  I eventually realized that with an automatic, the rear wheels are still pushing the car while the front wheels lock up and slide on the ice or snow.  It can be frightening when coming to a stop sign or light.  I found that by placing the vehicle into Neutral allowed all 4 wheels to brake without sliding. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers