VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 16620 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Oil
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:28:09 pm »
Question for tje herd: what do yall recommend for engine lubtication in our antiquated v6s?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »
Engine oil.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:19:26 pm »
I was thinking the oil of clubbed baby seals myself.....

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:10 pm »
Were you thinking brand, weight, ...?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:52:58 pm »
Exactly

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:58:40 pm »
Personal preference.

I use mobile 1 synthetic 5W30.

Synthetic isn't for all engines.  Higher mileage engines may require heavier oil.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:42 pm »
I used to use Rotella T. 15W-40 in my 3.4. Or Castrol GTX.

Since most everything uses roller tappets, now, they've reduced the amount of zinc (ZDDP) in motor oil. (ZDDP tends to damage catalytic converters.)
Try to find something that has some ZDDP in it. Will help the cam lobes to last.
Otherwise, just use something thick enough to maintain oil pressure, when it's hot.

Personally, I try to stay away from Pennzoil or Quaker State, since they used to be paraffin-based, but there's probably not a heck of a lot of difference, these days.
Of course, you'll probably get as many different answers as there are people reading this.

Edit - Although this is a sales pitch, it will explain the ZDDP thing a lot better than I could.
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:23:34 pm by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:55 pm »
I have been running Castrol GTX in all my vehicles since 88, but Don Hulse and some PFF discussions convinced me to change to the Rotella-T for the reasons Radar speaks of.  Instead of adding ZDDP( I tend to over-do) I just get the oil with the right percentage.  First time I used the 15 w 40 but then I found they also have 10 w 30 and I've changed to that.

I saw some videos where a man dissects a number of brands of oil filters, and I discontinued using my old favorite, Fram.  Wix and Purolator were the superior filters in his analysis.  NAPA Gold is made by one of those two.   I forgot which. 

I don't have a converter on the 87 and so far I haven't had any problems with the 86.  If it kills the cat, I'll just remove it, too. 

A side note about the Castrol GTX.  I replaced the valve cover gaskets on Melanie's 93 Grand Am 3.3.  It had somewhere around 160-170 K miles.  There was absolutely no residue buildup on the valve train or in the covers.  The rocker arms were a nice golden color.  I do oil changes ever 5000 miles.

I might add that the Rotella or ZDDP additives should not be used in engines with roller lifters, like our L4's. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:41:39 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 05:31:01 am »
Thanks yall. ...... I will grab some Rotella next time I go to Wally World..... with 150,000 on it I cant make it worse.

As an aside, I finally got a battery for it so I should be able to drive it again

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 02:05:18 am »
Wally World has a Discount Shelf in there Stores I found LOTS of Oils there And bought 4- 1 Gallon Jugs Of 15/40 Synthetic For ..Ta Da .4.00 dollars A Jug . Different Stuff at Different Stores But 'On Sale' Some Stores were Higher But Product was There. If I Had The Money I would have Found The Mgr. And Tried To Make a Deal

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 08:44:21 am »
Was it located in the auto parts section or elsewhere?  I sometimes see shelves or bins of stuff on discount but they are nowhere near the department they should be in.  If I was shopping for those items, I'd probably miss them. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:06:30 am »
I use the oil recommended by John Callies (father of the Super Duty 4) in my Fieros -- Mobile 1. No oil-related problems.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 06:38:41 pm »
well your right, and Clearence isle may be the right wording, Canton is near the middle of the store  Closer to Clothe's No where near Automotive.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 07:01:47 pm »
Corporate sends out these things called plan-o-grams that tell stores how to marchandise product.  I'm sure the final say goes through the marketing department, because it is illogical, difficult to find, difficult to stock, and generally infuriating.  It does, however, force you to go through the store in search of it.  From my point of view, the marketing department is the enemy of the consumer.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 09:24:48 am »
That's why Milk and Beer is in the Back of the Store.