Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Scouting and Documentation For Run For The Hills 24  (Read 17137 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Scouting and Documentation For Run For The Hills 24
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »
The weathercaster predicts a 50% chance of rain, tomorrow.  If I knew how to reach them, I'd request a change in forecast...

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2019, 10:06:30 pm »
Well, hopefully the scouting run went well.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 08:26:06 am »
Overall, the weather was decent.  A few light rain showers here and there.  A few wet roads where it had rained just prior to our arrival in those areas. 

When we got into that horrible Asheville interchange, I took us on a tour of most of the greater Western Asheville metropolitan area before getting us back on to our desired route. 

Our planned event lunch stop was closed for the holidays and we had to settle for a Booger King but afterward we were on our way for the last half of the planned run. 

We got down to the last road that I had substituted in and again, I took us on a tour.  I didn't take my own advice and look at my route sheet.  We had begun that last stretch in a torrential downpour.  A Duck Drownder, Toad-Strangler, Gully-Washer, Mud-Sender, Palmetto-Pounder, and Sizzly Sod Soaker, which was appropriate as that's an Appalachian term.  It rained Cats and Dogs and Poured Down Bullfrogs.  There was as much water running in and across the roadway as in the creeks alongside the roadway. 

The route may have to be altered again.  When we finally got ourselves back on track, we noticed that there's lots of markings on the roadway indicating that it will soon be under construction for repairs and or repaving.  Hopefully, it will be finished before September.  Checks with NC DOT will be in order, but an alternate-alternate route is already waiting in the wings. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 08:36:55 am »
How will the horrible interchange in Asheville be handled?

The weather forecast did show as high as 70% chance of rain, when checking yesterday.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 09:27:54 am »
We got down to the last road that I had substituted in and again, I took us on a tour.  I didn't take my own advice and look at my route sheet.  We had begun that last stretch in a torrential downpour.  A Duck Drownder, Toad-Strangler, Gully-Washer, Mud-Sender, Palmetto-Pounder, and Sizzly Sod Soaker, which was appropriate as that's an Appalachian term.  ...

You didn't mention "turd floater". I probably shouldn't have, either. But ya' know...   :D
(No... I didn't coin it. Just repeating.)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 09:30:52 am »
One alternative is to use the Blue Ridge Parkway as the last hour's drive.  It will bring us down on the road where the hotel is located.  Only about a mile away.  There is another that will put us onto I-40 at the end.  I-40 is an easy shot through the interchange and passes in front of the hotel. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:01 am »
About the rain -- If there were any Yankee cars around, that needed salt washed off their under carriages -- where we drove would have taken care of that nicely.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2019, 10:00:23 am »
Only if the rain was coming UP from the road, and did not bring crud with it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:29 am »
One alternative is to use the Blue Ridge Parkway as the last hour's drive.

Would that section include the scenic overpass on the BRP?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »
I'm not sure where that section is, but I do believe it may be in there. 

I worked on the rework last night and rerouting to the BRP would add an hour and a half to the run.  It wouldn't fit with our evening restaurant schedule, so it looks like I'll have to keep things as they are.  The 3rd alternative was like the first route.  It's a great road but dirt in the middle.  I even looked at a 4th alternative and that would also add at least as much time.  There are just no shortcuts in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2019, 07:44:46 pm »
So, NC-DOT will either say aye or nay for completion before September.  If aye, all good (if the tar and paint are try by then); if nay, we're in trouble.

The restaurant will be open for RFTH, I hope.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2019, 10:18:30 pm »
I'll need to check with NC DOT about the end of August.  If it's not ready, I'll just have to wing it from there.  I can make it happen even if I have to take them up a road then bring them back down it. 

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 04:22:42 pm »
One alternative is to use the Blue Ridge Parkway...

Just a reminder...according to the official rules, any group of 10 or more vehicles on the Blue Ridge Parkway is supposed to be registered with the Park Ranger.  However, apparently nobody follows those rules, because nobody seems to know how or where to register.  For RFTH19, it took me about 15 phone calls before I got in touch with the head guy in charge of the area...and he sent me a letter (so it was in writing) that they were aware of it, and it was approved.  I had that letter with me during the run.

If I were doing it again, I wouldn't bother trying to register...and if we were questioned, "No sir, we aren't together...I have no idea who these other Fiero owners are."  I just like people to know when they are breaking rules so they can be prepared in case they are caught.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 04:55:11 pm »
Pat and Scott, there was an accident on that stretch of road where we sat in traffic for so long that took the lives of 7 people.  It happened during the weekend but I'm not sure what day.  TV coverage showed lots of debris and medical waste along the roadside, so it either happened Friday and got cleaned up or it happened after we passed through. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 05:49:09 pm »
It may be helpful to know why the acciddnt happened, as in what caused it.

Could you have been waiting for accident cleanip.  Usually deaths draw helicopters, though.