Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 16085 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Brakes
« on: June 29, 2019, 06:01:42 pm »
Lets talk about brakes, pad wear to be specific. My car has been resting peacefully since last fall. Since I have been committed. ...... to the pre run next weekend I have been going through the car and doing some much needed maintenance. I was checking brake pads, on all 4 corners the outside pad is worn a little over half, the inside pad has hardly any wear at all. Why? I have never seen this before.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:04:13 pm »
The sliders?  It sounds as if the sliders need oiling.  Not sure of the year of your Fiero.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 06:50:04 pm »
Agree with Michael.  The inboard or piston side will retract slightly from the rotor but the outside pad stays close.  If the slider lubricant is heavy, contaminated or dried out, the caliper won't back away and will keep the outboard pad close.  Even with a good system, I think the outer pad will wear a little faster because it stays close to the rotor. 

I was using Syl-Glide but have found a newer synthetic brake slider grease that seems to work well.  The thing about sliders is that many just lubricate the bolt, but the sleeve needs to be pulled out, the bore in the caliper cleaned and the sleeve and bolt cleaned, then re-lube the bore, the inside of the slider and the O-rings. 

The high temp lube is Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.  It isn't as heavy as the Syl-Glide lube.  Both are synthetic and won't harm the O-rings. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:48:21 pm »
(Sarcasm ) I dont understand why the slide pins would be sticky, I rebuilt the brakes 10 years ago (end sarcasm )...... guess I'll have to drag out the floor jack and jack stands again

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 11:04:26 pm »
It'd probably be a lot easier if you knew someone who had a lift you could put the car on   ;D
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 08:32:31 am »
Is the lift installed?  Must be a vehicle hoist--not a wheel lift.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 08:51:53 pm »
God call yall, slide pins on the front calipers were stuck, had to persuade them out with a BFH. All greased up and good to go

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:55:19 pm »
Glad to read it's ready to go.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 10:43:47 pm »
It'd probably be a lot easier if you knew someone who had a lift you could put the car on   ;D

Somebody in the club has a lift?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 06:53:54 pm »
I will never tell.........

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 04:25:45 pm »
Annnnnnnnd after the trial run yesterday it has been determined that my car needs new pads. Kinda skeery to be stomping the "whoa" pedal and it dont "whoa."

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 04:36:20 pm »
Try a vacuum leak in the brake booster.  Stepping on the brakes only makes you go faster.

You don't feel the brakes as bad duting normal driving?  Pads aren't like batteries, getting less powerful as they age; they either work or they don't work.  Low pads still stop the car.  When you run out of pads, the car does not stop.  When the pads are out, you should feel it anytime you try to stop.

Of course, you all have more Fiero expertise than I do, so I could be way off.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 05:04:44 pm »
I dont think there is anything wrong per se, these pads are not veryy grippy.....these are Raybestos professional grade semi metallics, they have never been very good

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 05:13:17 pm »
Ah.  We used ceramic pads on an SUV, once.  I wasn't dumb enough to do it again.  I could stop more quickly by engine braking.

Still, since you apparently ran these brakes for the previous RFTH, you may want to consider that the brake fluid has become contaminated with moisture.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 05:39:14 pm »
Now for pad choice, there doesnt seem to be much out there anymore. Any have experience with Bosch pads?