Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Steel vs brass freeze plugs  (Read 13989 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Steel vs brass freeze plugs
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:22:28 pm »
My engine has steel plugs.  Painted steel plugs.  I believe it was Roger who suggested brass freeze plugs.  After discussing this with various people, I realize I'd have to do some major disasembly to change to bras, but some people seem to think brass freeze plugs corrode and look very badly.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:41:20 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Steel vs brass freeze plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:18 pm »
My boat with the Chevy engine had brass freeze plugs.  It was to reduce galvanic action.  Corrosion.  Brass plugs are less likely to corrode if the coolant mixture becomes weak.  When I bought the replacement block, it was intended for a Chevy truck and had steel plugs.  I removed them and installed brass plugs.  Of course, the inboard engine used freshwater or seawater for cooling so there was no antifreeze in the system. 

If they tarnish, they are totally out of view, as you noted that they are very difficult to change with the engine installed.  Especially the two behind the flywheel. 

I'm not sure that OEM plugs are made of stainless.  Some aftermarket freeze plugs may be but not OEM. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:48:39 am »
My boat with the Chevy engine had brass freeze plugs.  It was to reduce galvanic action.  Corrosion.  Brass plugs are less likely to corrode if the coolant mixture becomes weak.  When I bought the replacement block, it was intended for a Chevy truck and had steel plugs.  I removed them and installed brass plugs.  Of course, the inboard engine used freshwater or seawater for cooling so there was no antifreeze in the system.   

For the same reason, wooden boats are screwed together using brass screws. They don't rust.
When I was a teenager, I helped my dad rebuild a 22' wooden cabin cruiser. If I never have to drive another brass screw, it won't hurt my feelings any.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:55 am »
Boats also use Zinc Sacrificial Anodes.  These anodes will attract the galvanic corrosive action and prevent other parts of the boat from rusting.  I purchased two anode bars from a marine supply house and inserted 1 into the water jacket on either side of the engine.  I didn't know about that until I was buying some parts at the marine supply house. 

Wonder if sacrificial anodes would work to prevent trunk and frame rail rust on a Fiero. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:07 am »
Wonder if sacrificial anodes would work to prevent trunk and frame rail rust on a Fiero.

Not likely, unless the trunk is drenched with water constantly.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 07:44:17 pm »
In theory, anodes coild be used periodically to remove rust, if the area was soaked in water.