Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 14557 times)

NoobKevin

• View Profile
Help needed
« on: August 14, 2019, 09:23:25 pm »
I am new to the organization and need assistance. I removed the engine/tranny and some peripheral parts including what is called the crossover tube. I have a 1986 GT and cannot recall how it goes back in or where. I suspect it is along the front where I consider the firewall to be. Does anyone have pictures and or a diagram for the cooling lines between the radiator and the motor?

Thanks

Noob Kevin

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:36 pm »
The crossover tube goes from the ppassenger's side thermostat hose down to the driver's side coolant tube (via a hose).  The passenger side coolant tube runs to a hose that connects to the water pump.

There is a diagram in the manual.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:39:09 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:51:45 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:52 pm »
Scott might be able to help with a photo.  They got the rear assembly out of the 85 on Saturday and the crossover pipe is still mounted on the engine.  Pictures would depend upon when he goes back to the shop. 

Are you near to the Canton or Cumming area?  He and I may be at his shop on Saturday. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:54:45 pm »
I could take a picture of my Formula tomorrow, but since it's an 88, the crossover will be a little bit different.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:55:56 pm »
The basics sre the same.  The crossover pipe is a bit different, the routing in the front is a bit different (tubes shaped differently), and the heater hose routing is different
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:58:41 pm by GTRS Fiero »

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:44:58 pm »
So, I am going to have to drop the engine to put it back in? I would love to have pictures if anyone has any. I live south of canton and closer to  Canton than Cumming.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 09:21:56 am »
So, I am going to have to drop the engine to put it back in?

You won't have to drop the engine.

With that said... I replaced my coolant tube with the engine in the car, but it's a complete pain in the posterior.
It actually mounts under the exhaust manifold, and kind of above and behind the A/C compressor.
The "hook" end of the pipe goes toward the passenger side of the car, with the opening pointed upwards. It meets the hose that comes from the thermostat housing.
You will need to remove the aluminum A/C bracket, and maybe remove the A/C belt and loosen the bottom bolt, to let the compressor tip forward.
You probably will also need to drop the exhaust system and maybe the starter.

Did I mention that it's a pain in the posterior? It's like the entire car is assembled around that pipe.
I used every curse word in my vocabulary, and maybe coined a few new ones. The dog even left the garage.

But it can be done without dropping the engine.

Edit - Here is a picture of several tubes . They are shown right side up.

(Borrowed/linked from Rodney's site. I hope he doesn't mind.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:26:06 am by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:55 am »
Kevin, obviously you have the crossover pipe that came with your engine/transmission combination so it will fit.  But for anyone else that might be replacing a crossover pipe for any reason, I hear that the pipe for the automatic and the manual transmission cars are different.  Be sure the one you're procuring is for your particular setup.  Four cylinder cars don't have the crossover because the thermostat housing is on the driver's side and is piped directly down to the left coolant rail. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:06:12 am »
It may be quicker to lift the car for me since the reinstall is not completed. I have a couple more things that need to be done as well. Thanks all for the help so far. I love my GT and look forward to hearing it run again. I bought it last spring but it was not running well. I found mismatched heads with one having been cracked in two places. So, two new heads later here I am.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:46:31 pm »
Since you replaced the heads with a new set, did you get the same casting numbers?  The Fiero heads are interchangeable with other 2.8 heads, except they have the larger valves for more HP.  The 3.4 shared the same GM casting numbers, too. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 08:26:09 pm »
I'd heard how rusty these get, so I bought a new tube.  When I replaced mine, the original tube looked great.

My only advice on this is not to pinch the harness with the tube.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:26:10 pm by GTRS Fiero »

NoobKevin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:14 pm »
The heads were mismatched when I removed them with one being the HO and the other not so much. The engine had apparently overheated as the fan motor was shot and the temp needle was loose within the gauges. I replaced the radiator which had one side cracked. I ordered matching number correct heads from Rock Auto. Valve sizes were right and now for both sides. Not what I expected to need to do. The motor ran and started when I bought it and someone who owned it clearly loved it. The interior is in very good condition needing only upholstery and a headliner. So, new reconditioned heads, lots of new gaskets and seals, some new bolts, struts, and nuts, and some rust mitigation though at some point I have some metal work to do. I was 18 when the Fiero came out and I have wanted one ever since. Now I have one and for now, it has set the resto on my 63 Corvair on the backburner. I love quirky things and the Fiero and Corvair are my favorites.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 11:27:56 pm »
Sounds as if you'll have it ready for RFTH.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:27 am »
If you need metal patches you are welcome to come cut out what you need before I scrap my parts car