Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I'm Sick and Heartbroken  (Read 15342 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
I'm Sick and Heartbroken
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:57:57 pm »
I turned on my desktop today and when it started up, I had a light blue screen instead of the wallpaper.  I couldn't do anything until I entered my password.  Thing is, I've never set or used a password. 

It wouldn't let me do anything until I requested a code so I could change a password that I never had.  Once I did this, I had to enter all kinds of information and set all kinds of settings to give permissions for Microsoft to get into almost everything I own.  At a point, I just stopped.

I tried to get into my files.  Documents, Downloads and Pictures and all that stuff.  Everything is gone.  My entire history of Georgia Fieros.  Every single file and photo.  All my family history, ancestry on both sides of the family.  All the photos, some of which only existed on the PC.  All my apps that we've paid for.  Everything.  Thank you, Microsoft for the unsolicited update you did when I shut down.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Sick and Heartbroken
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 07:01:46 pm »
Likely not that bad.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
I can come over tomorrow afternoon and take a look at it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 08:32:35 pm »
Thank you, Pat.  I'll be back from church around 1-1:30.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:58:34 am »
Urghh FF.  Fingers crossed that it can be retrieved.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 02:15:17 pm »
I'll probably come over around 4 pm. I've been replacing the AC compressor in my yellow car, and I need to clean up.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:24:30 pm »
THANK YOU, PAT!  The files and most everything else has been recovered and restored.  Now, that it's operating, it's time for my paid subscription monitoring and maintenence service to earn their keep and restore all my drivers.  On the advise of Pat and Michael, I will be looking into a USB drive to back up everything. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 06:27:31 pm »
Your drivers?  If it's a manufactured system, the drivers are on their web site.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:36:32 pm »
I have a driver support service/program.  When I bought my HP 4N1, and hooked it up, it would only print.  I had to purchase additional software for each of the other 3 functions.  I'm not purchasing them again.  They were expensive.  I'll go after Microsoft if all else fails. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:45 pm »
You had to purchase software for a printer to work?!  I'd return the printer, first.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:00:22 am by GTRS Fiero »

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:51:53 am »
Well done chaps.  Not a pleasant feeling that. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:29 am »
Everything isn't back like it was, but my files are restored.  Software is missing, and it's not Windows 10 any more.  I don't know what this version is officially called, but I have my own name for it. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 10:45:32 am »
It's actually still Windows 10, but the next iteration of it. When Windows 10 first came out, there was a statement from Microsoft that it would be the last version of Windows, but that they would keep making changes to it.
The way you had your computer set up before was that you had a local account. Microsoft wants everybody to have an account connected to them and the Microsoft Store, so that they can make pitches to you about products they offer. I tried to set up another local account when I was there, but it asked for a password that we didn't have.
When you stopped working with Microsoft, mentioned in your first message, what you were left with was actually a temporary account. That's why the default location of your document, download, and other folders is \Users\Temp. Normally with a Microsoft-connected account, it would be \Users\me. Your old local account was at \Users\cmmse or something like that. What I did was to make that location read-write from your current account. Normally, other accounts are read-only when accessed from your current account, to protect them. But in this case, that other account is actually your old account.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:47:50 am by TopNotch »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:41 am »
It's actually still Windows 10, but the next iteration of it. When Windows 10 first came out, there was a statement from Microsoft that it would be the last version of Windows, but that they would keep making changes to it.

"It's a feature!"

Edit - I've got a "Developer" version of Win 7 on my desktop. I am still receiving patches and updates, but they have never tried to update it to Win 10.
Charlie, I'm glad you got your stuff "back".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:01:43 am by Raydar »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 11:08:20 am »
What I could do is put a bigger hard drive in Charlie's computer, duplicate his Windows 10 drive onto it, and put Windows 7 on the unused part, with a dual-boot setup. But it would be a hacked version of Windows 7, because Microsoft would no doubt charge something outrageous for a new Windows 7 license.