Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: AeroDONamic test drives  (Read 16080 times)

MikeMac

• View Profile
AeroDONamic test drives
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:55 pm »
I had the AreoDon car out for test drives the last few days and have a few results to post. First off, the engine is no where near stock. Just ask the guy in the Porsche Carrera  coming out of Costco this afternoon.

Last week I was running the car in the driveway and it died. I knew it was low on fuel so I put 5 gallons in it and it started right up but the fuel gauge showed 3/4 full.  After filling it full at Costco today it now reads way above full. I hit every bump in the road hoping to shake the float loose but no change. I replaced the fuel pump several months back and the hanger and the float assembly seemed fine.

The engine dies if I'm at idle and the cooling fan comes on. Back when I first got the car running the cooling fan motor was going out unbeknownst to me. The first time the fan turned on it drew so much it killed the alternator. No fuses blew and no wires were warm.
 I replaced the alternator with a CS-130 upgraded unit that has threads on Pennocks and The Ogre's site. I also installed a new cooling fan motor. Even though the fan blade seems to turn freely it is still drawing a massive amount of juice. It will sit and idle fine in the driveway with the fan running and cycling off like it is supposed to. Only when out on the road and at an idle, like waiting for a traffic signal does it kill it.
 In 20 miles of driving it today it died probably 20 times. It does start right back up though. I can see the charge drop on the ammeter when the fan comes on and the charge continues to drop quickly and it dies. I verified that the only time the engine dies is after the fan comes on and the voltage drops.

The alternator charges fine and the battery tests good. I'll be checking that fan in the morning.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: AeroDONamic test drives
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Certainly, it is a good idea to test for load the fan draws, separate from the car.  If not the coolant fan draws, it's the wiring.

Supposedly, the fan rarely comes on.  What happens if you unplug the fan, and go for a drive, with the HVAC off?  Does the motor still die?  Voltage drop?  Overheat?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:34:56 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:01 pm »
Overdraw on the fan can pop one of the fusible links.  Glad that happened to me when my fan motor shorted.  It will kill all power except for the interior lights. 

Just as a WAG, unplug the engine bay fan in the right rear fender.  That fan also runs every time the cooling fan comes on.  Critters could have gotten into it, preventing it from turning, or they could have built nests in the ductwork. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:58:04 pm »
Forgot about that fan.  It's about useless, anyway.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 09:59:14 pm »
Since I was in stop and go traffic for a portion of the drive the fan was cycling regularly. I don't know if I would drive it without the fan plugged in. If it overheated in traffic I would be stuck. On todays drive the traffic backup was on I-285 and pulling off the side of the road there is a death wish.

I hope it is not a wiring issue as that would put the car in storage mode. I've got a build starting in September that will put a chunk of money in my pocket when completed. I'm hoping to complete it within 60 days of start.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 10:01:11 pm »
Forgot about that fan.  It's about useless, anyway.

The upgraded alternator doesn't require the fan. I only hooked it back up out of habit. I will disable it tomorrow and make a short run.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »
You'll have to pick a road where you have more control of your destiny.  Fierofool is right about the fan in the trunk.

Your Fiero should not be kicking on the fan so often, unless it's much hotter there.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:27 pm »
Forgot to add the ac is out until I recharge it so that isn't contributing.

There aren't any roads I can control. I'm right in the city. LOL

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:07 pm »
The fan was running so often because I was in gridlock most of the time. I wasn't out on a 10 mile run with no stops.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 10:11:51 pm »
I do have a better fan, but my Fiero went through 40 minutes of stop-and-go, without engaging the fan or overheating.  The distance was slightly over .5 miles.

I'm in the city, too, but 20 minutes' driving during midday can get me out of the city.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 10:34:31 pm »
If your fan didn't come on during that whole time I would be worried. None of my cars would go through that without running the fan.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »
It depends on humidity, temperature, altitude (pressure), and other factors.  The scanner showed that the engine temp was OK.

Mine runs hot when moving.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 12:20:07 pm »
Bad relay that is shorting out?

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
I would think if the relay was bad it would do it every time. It runs fine sitting in the driveway.

I'm going to put it in storage. I don't have time to sort the fuel gauge issue before the RFTH.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 06:14:14 pm »
The fuel gauge shouldn't be an issue.  Dying, on the other hand...

I have a suspicion that the dying issue can be fixed fairly easily.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:06:28 pm by GTRS Fiero »