Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The New Life of the 3800 "Formula"  (Read 40592 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The New Life of the 3800 "Formula"
« on: September 29, 2019, 08:18:19 pm »
I am now the proud owner of the club's 3800 "Formula" ("Formula" in quotes, because it began life as a duke coupe). I can't register it yet, but we're working on that.
Here's what the engine bay looked like when we got the car...

Here's what it looks like now...

Besides the obvious changes of the cleanup and new spark plug wires, you may notice that some if the wire loom has been changed. Some of the original wire loom was so brittle that it would crumble if you tried to move it a little. I replaced it with a braided high temp wire loom.
In the last test drive I told you about in the other thread about this car, the speedometer did not work. In the previous test drive, it did work. I basically spent this weekend trying to find the problem. I jacked up one rear wheel so I could idle the car in gear for testing. I finally found a bundle of taped up electronic components behind the center console (where the ECM would be in a normal Fiero) that, when wiggled, would make the speedometer work sometimes. This bundle had so much tape and heat shrink on it that it was difficult to tell what components were there. So I did a little research. It turns out that the Fiero speedometer needs the following circuit to work on a 3800:

So I went to Fry's and got the needed components, built the circuit, and soldered it in place of the old one, which I had cut out. The speedometer works perfectly now.
And BTW, after all the messing with wires I did, the gas gauge works now too. There might be something loose that i need to fix later, but I'll let it ride for now.
So with the gas gauge working, I put one of my other Fiero's tag on the back, and drove it to a gas station to fill it up. The gauge reads quite a bit above full, so I figure it will read quite a bit above empty when it is actually empty. So I'll refill it when it dips below half full.
And after returning from the gas station, the engine was quiet, with no loud tapping. I think it likes Mobile 1 oil.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:13:34 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: The New Life of the 3800 "Formula"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:28:36 pm »
Congrats!  Glad this is squared away.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 09:41:05 pm »
Congrats, Pat! I'm happy that you finally got it!

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:58:36 pm »
So glad to hear this. You certainly put in the work!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:02 pm »
Not sure is the decklid struts were replaced or not, but it looks as if the seal was removed.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:16:07 am »
I replaced installed the front sway bar end link bushings. I can't say "replaced", because there was nothing to replace -- not even a trace of the original ones. Fortunately, the long bolts and other hardware was still there.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 03:24:15 pm »
You did not just replace the links in their entirety?  My original end link bolts were there, but looked less than new, so I replaced them...6 years ago.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 09:09:02 pm »
The hardware is just fine. The underside of this car, in general, is not show-car worthy, and it would take too much work to make it so. It's mechanically sound, but sitting out in a field took it's toll.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 09:18:40 pm »
Yes, it is very sad to see Fieros just sitting out in a field.  We saw one recently, after a discussion about people who park a driving Fiero in a field for years.  My wife suggested I buy it, to avoid it going to the scrap yard.  It was too far gone, for me.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:22:14 pm »
Actually, it wasn't in a field.  It was in his driveway-gravel parking area at the front of the house.  The drive came in to the side of the house at the garage but he had a parking area up above at the front.  I don't remember seeing any grass on the property.  The area is heavily wooded except for the driveway and parking area and the car was covered with leaves from the years of sitting there.  I'm sure lots of the leaves had already been removed from it as they prepared for us to pick it up. 

Sitting over dirt and gravel that couldn't drain or evaporate moisture would certainly have eaten at the underside. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:25 pm »
I've had my Fiero long enough that some new parts I installed had to be replaced.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 10:56:35 pm »
Did the paperwork come through, yet?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 11:10:29 pm »
Did the paperwork come through, yet?
It's actually been a bit of a nightmare. If you ever want to leave something to an organization (such as a club) when you pass away, make sure your will is probated.
Leslie (Lee's daughter) and I are working on it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 11:14:17 pm »
Still?  I hope this works out for you.  I appreciate your patience and sticktoitiveness.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:45 am »
I went to the tag office and registered the car this morning. It's now officially mine.
Fierofool thought that the engine in the car was a Series 1 3800, but after a lot of checking, I find that it is a Series 2. This means 205 stock HP versus 170 stock HP.