Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The New Life of the 3800 "Formula"  (Read 40682 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The New Life of the 3800 "Formula"
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2021, 11:08:32 pm »
Just hope that the bend doesn't crimp down on the wire so you can't get it out.
I got it out, and it works. I will go on a longer test drive tomorrow to see how it holds up.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 24, 2021, 01:16:44 pm »
Update on my knock sensor problems. I was still getting an occasional knock sensor error, so it was time to hit the book. A while back, I had bought a 1995 Buick Park Avenue service manual (which also covers other GM 3800-powered cars of that year). The manual said that if a scanner didn't show knock retard when the error occurred, it had to be something else, and suggested that if "secondary ignition cables" (translation: spark plug wires) were near the knock sensor wire, that could cause the false error.
Now, I didn't get the errors until after installing the low mount alternator, and that caused the spark plug wires to take a slightly different path to the rear plugs. So I tried a simple re-routing of the wires, as shown in the picture below.

All I did was move the wires to the other side of the oil filler cap as shown. Then I went on the same test drive that had produced a knock sensor code. No code this time. Could it be that simple? The bundle that the spark plug wires pass over contains, among other things, the knock sensor wire.
On this engine, unlike on newer engines, there is only one wire to both sensors, and only one code set. Newer cars can tell you which sensor set the error.

One other interesting thing. The manual shows both the series 1 and series 2 3800's as possible engines for the 95 cars. That means that the change-over was done mid-year in 1995. And that explains why it is sometimes hard to get the right part for this engine. For example, when I tried to get a new throttle position sensor, the first one I got at the parts store was wrong. I had asked for the 1995 part. I then asked for the 1996 part, and it was correct.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:18:40 pm by TopNotch »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #377 on: August 24, 2021, 03:03:43 pm »
So can we assume you have a Series II engine?  Is there any difference internally or just the externals? 

You're so good at troubleshooting, I need to let you foster my two for a while. 

Edit:  Or all 3. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 24, 2021, 03:56:05 pm »
So can we assume you have a Series II engine?
It's definitely a series II. The intake manifold is series II, and all parts that changed between series I and II are series II.
I went on a longer test drive, and then to the store. No knock sensor error. That's one error that always lights the SES light when it happens. Some errors don't, and the manual lists which do and which don't.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #379 on: August 24, 2021, 03:59:38 pm »
Even with the mid-year changeover, they still used the OBD 1.5 ECM?  Is it possible it could be outfitted with the more common OBD II ECM?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 24, 2021, 04:12:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure OBD II wasn't introduced until '96, regardless of engine. And my OBD ii scanner doesn't work on it.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 24, 2021, 04:29:32 pm »
So I tried a simple re-routing of the wires, as shown in the picture below.

All I did was move the wires to the other side of the oil filler cap as shown.

In their previous location, they would seem to have run parallel to that wire harness for some distance.
In their new location, they cross at nearly a right angle. A right angle crossing is just about always preferred, in the case where one signal can affect another.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2021, 05:36:56 pm »
Is it possible it could be outfitted with the more common OBD II ECM?
The one that's in there works just fine, and, as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2021, 06:42:55 pm »
It turned out that the knock sensor problem wasn't spark wire interference, and moving the spark plug wires to make it better was just coincidence. It was a momentary short, and it decided to be a more permanent short today. I fired up the car, and the SES light came on immediately, and the scanner said it was a knock sensor error. So I measured the resistance at the pin going to the PCM, and it was much lower than when I measured it previously.
There was a frayed section of the wire going to the back knock sensor, and it was touching some grounded metal. So I had to make a new one and had to fish it through to where it connects to the front sensor wire. All better now (i hope).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:50:41 pm by TopNotch »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 25, 2021, 08:40:51 pm »
Sounds like you got it. Good save!

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 25, 2021, 09:13:34 pm »
Good deal.

Does anyone make new harnesses? For stock motors that is.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2021, 08:22:59 pm »
I thought I heard an exhaust leak, so I investigated. Turns out that I have a cracked manifold. In the picture below, I have peeled back some of the heat shielding where the crack is. Since than, I have removed it all.

After removing the heat shielding, I found that the crack doesn't go all the way around. I'll probably have to weld it, but for now, I decided to try something I found at AutoZone. It's called VersaChem Exhaust Seal Joint and Crack Sealer. It's supposed to dry in 4 hours, but I won't try running the car until tomorrow. We shall see.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2021, 08:55:11 pm »
...I decided to try something I found at AutoZone. It's called VersaChem Exhaust Seal Joint and Crack Sealer. It's supposed to dry in 4 hours, but I won't try running the car until tomorrow. We shall see.

Good luck with the fix. Please let us know. I tried something similar - a JB Weld product, I think. It lasted for about an hour. But that was a long time ago. I hope the technology/chemistry has progressed some, in 15 years.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2021, 01:19:55 am »
I cant say for certain but you might have made it impossible to get a good weld. In past experience any kind of silicone based sealer cant be completely removed and contaminates the weld. Im sure the wizardry behind it has advanced but I would still be leery

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #389 on: August 30, 2021, 06:56:17 am »
Provided it can be repaired, would brazing work?  It might be accomplished without removing the manifold.  If it has to be removed, it should be bolted down to another head to keep it from warping during repair.