Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: It's a job, not an adventure  (Read 14132 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's a job, not an adventure
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:13:00 pm »
I replaced the AC compressor in my silver Formula yesterday. It took a lot longer than i had imagined.
Whoever put in the last one must have been trying to show his muscles, because nearly every nut and bolt was tightened to extreme, and I had to come up with clever ways to get enough leverage for my 73-year-old muscles to get them loose. It's a wonder nothing broke.
And then on re-assembly I found that I didn't have a new one, of one of the washers between the lines and the compressor. What I tried first leaked -- the system wouldn't hold a vacuum, so I wound up re-using the old washer. It seems to be holding.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: It's a job, not an adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:12:37 pm »
Congrats, for a 73 year old you done good

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:55:23 pm »
Well, glad you got it done.  Is it still hot enough down there for using the AC?  I'm always cold, but we have snow forecast.

I've always thought you weren't supposed to turn the AC on when the temp is under 40.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 08:26:09 pm »
It got up to 75 today, but the AC is also used as a dehumidifier when you use the heater to defog your windows. So sometimes it may still come in handy.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:23:38 pm »
When you re-torqued, did you torque to spec, or just comfortably tight?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:41 pm »
Well, glad you got it done.  Is it still hot enough down there for using the AC?  I'm always cold, but we have snow forecast.

I've always thought you weren't supposed to turn the AC on when the temp is under 40.

Melanie's 88 Beretta GT wouldn't let the AC come on below a given temperature.  I don't remember what it was, but 40 would be reasonable.  But Pat's correct.  The AC runs when you're in defrost mode, so I don't know how the Beretta worked. 

I like the temp a little warm, so today when I took about a 40 mile drive, I just dropped the passenger side window down about halfway and set the climate control on Vent with the slider all the way to the left.  Very comfortable---for me, at least. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers