Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Some 2020 Activities  (Read 16997 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Some 2020 Activities
« on: December 25, 2019, 07:26:14 pm »
Here are a few activities to think about for 2020.  Maybe we can discuss these at the January or February meetings.  Other suggestions invited. 

June 5-6-7  All Pontiac Show At Pigeon Forge.  It has outgrown the Music Road venue and moved to a different location, I'm told.

June 25-26-27  GM National Car Show at Carlisle.  Fiero car show within the main event so we're not competing against newer cars.

Go Kart Racing at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville.

Doing a PDX event at Road Atlanta.  These are held on Sunday morning between 10 and Noon. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:13:05 pm by TopNotch »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Some 2020 Activities
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »

I've read Memory Lane Classic Car Museum in Eatonton, GA (Exit 130 I-20) has reopened on weekends. 
Maybe a quick gathering there in 2020? 
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »
If there is another PDX, after last time, we need to make sure that people will show up.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:28:38 pm »
Is the St. Pat's Day parade a thing of the past?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 10:01:06 pm »
Is the St. Pat's Day parade a thing of the past?
Apparently they don't like car clubs.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 10:05:07 pm »
A shame.  It looked like a lot of fun.  Maybe a different location.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 11:11:12 pm »
There aren't many  St. Pats parades in Georgia.  Atlanta shut us out after 12 years.  Dublin restricted all car clubs to just 3 vehicles.  Savannah is the largest parade in the state, but that's a 6 hour trip from Atlanta.  Seems none of the smaller cities have a parade.  At least none that I've been able to find and I've done a lot of searching. 

No one other than myself has ever done the PDX event.  I've tried to get some interest, but unsuccessfully.  The cost when I did it was $150, but folks can do it for free if they will work the corners during the races.  By doing that, they get to watch the races and do the PDX for free.  The PDX is Proffessional Driving Xperience.  You are on the track with a professional driver in the passenger seat teaching you the track line, cornering and braking techniques.  Even though there was supposed to be a 95 mph speed limit, you're free to go as fast as you want.  At least they didn't call out anyone for going over that. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 09:19:07 am »
No one other than myself has ever done the PDX event
I did one.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
When you posted that, I thought of this
http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2398.msg22770#msg22770

When I looked, it seemed to be a different event.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:00:50 pm by GTRS Fiero »

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 05:28:01 pm »

I've read Memory Lane Classic Car Museum in Eatonton, GA (Exit 130 I-20) has reopened on weekends. 
Maybe a quick gathering there in 2020?

Maybe the cars aren't interesting enough? https://photos.app.goo.gl/WGRWwahYw6CFCgLcA
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 10:42:45 pm »
I am certainly interested in going to memory lane as a group.

Really interested in the PDX though. That sounds like a great time.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 09:05:02 am »
I actually haven't seen any notice of a PDX in this area in the last few years. Instead, there have been notices of SCCA Track Night in Ameria events at either Atlanta Motorsports Park or Road Atlanta (now called Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta). Track Night may have replaced PDX.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 10:09:59 am »
From their website:

We cannot run race engines during Sunday’s Quiet Time (10am – noon), so we use that time to conduct a Performance Driving eXperience (PDX) event. This is not a competition activity, so it is open to a much wider variety of street cars only. Drivers are placed in one of three groups based on their experience and each group gets two 20-minute sessions on the track. Passing is allowed in designated areas with a “point by” and instructors ride with Novice students, but otherwise you get to experience Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta at greater than normal highway speeds. We invite everyone with a safe street car to join us for the Performance Driving Experience. Check out the Atlanta Region SCCA website (www.atlantascca.org) for more information.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »
In the course of thinking about a St. Pat's Day parade, it occurred to me to consider how I would do such a thing, here.  Likely, I'd start with a vulnerable local politician, and suggest that this would get him a lot of publicity, but certainly help me decide, come voting time.  So it wouldn't just be my voice, I'd have the local car clubs badger him, as well as the food truck people.  I'd indicate to some local bands that the politician was looking for some good musicians, then give them his number.

I'd contact the health & fitness people, and advise them that they should support the politician's efforts to get people outdoors.

There are some local veterans groups, so I'd let slip the possibility that the politician might not let them participate, unless they spoke up soon.

There are a bunch of businesses on what amounts to Main St.  I'd let them know this was coming, and advise them of possible revenue opportunities, if the mayor could pull this off.

I'd pick 2 political adveraries to lead the parade, but only tell them about the other if they refused to participate.

I'd find some activist group to fund the activity, but accidentally direct them to a different locale.

If that didn't get things rolling, I'd likely have a bunch of flyers circulated, advertising the event, crediting whichever politician would seem to be the most effective.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 08:53:28 pm »
No reason to put forth all the effort, tag along on other groups events and have a good time.

My friends Faron and Greg run FREE car shows all season in and around Atlanta and would love to add the Fiero club to the rolls. https://c5carshows.com/  Next event is at the Cherry Blossom Festival in Brookhaven.  The car show is Sunday March 29, 2020. Details will be coming out soon.  Theirs are good ones to bring the wife, as both are married and try to select venues with something else going on for the ladies to do.

Also are the Georgia Cool Crusers events http://www.georgiacoolcruisers.org/  These are usually charity events with a suggested donation, but no requirement to donate.