Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Atlanta Guy  (Read 18253 times)

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
New Atlanta Guy
« on: December 26, 2019, 04:19:51 pm »
Hello all, I'm Larry a.k.a The Art Doctor.  I had to confess to the wife that I had signed up, she asked what took so long!  She is a keeper.  I do not currently have a Fiero though I cannot get the one that I did have out of my mind even though it has been almost 25 years since I had it.  I had what at the time I did not know was a really special one.   1988 Formula, total stripper with a 5 speed and the electric defroster rear window as only options on the build sheet.  Black with grey fabric interior.  No power anything, no sunroof or a/c, nothing to weigh it down.  Fast and sharp, sexy looking car.  The girls loved it, and their parents did too thinking with a two seater no hanky panky could happen in it.....good times.  Paid $4000 for it with 36,000 miles in 1992 from my across the street neighbor at my childhood home in Rochester,NY.  Had many a good time in that car, first time to the drag strip was in it.  Wrecked it in a show storm in 1994 coming over a frozen bridge and had it pulled out and slapped on junk yard parts to keep it going though the window didn't seal to the body and whistled when you drove.  It was never right after that.  Let my brother have it for a year.  He got rear ended and let them go as he didn't realize the damage done as the body popped back and all looked Ok until he tried to open the hatch and it would not shut again.  Kept it until 1996 when it had 56,000 and sold it off for a paltry $750 to a guy to use as the basis for a kit car when the break job it needed was quoted at over $1500.

Still miss that car.

I'm looking for the right Fiero and am in no particular hurry.  I do not need a project, just looking for a well sorted 1988 notchback v6 car.   Modified is Ok but I would prefer stock.  I already have a 1947 Chevrolet Coupe that I have had over 20 years (216 straight 6 modified with two carbs, mustang II suspension and a 5 speed).  A "derelict" 1956 Pontiac 2dr wagon with rebuilt original 316 automatic and custom disc brakes that is used to haul my 1952 Feather Craft Deluxe Runnabout with a 1956 Johnson 30hp.  A long term project 1940 Ford coupe that is blown apart and slowly being welded back together. And last a 1981 Yamaha xs650 custom hard-tail bobber

I live in Chamblee and I work in fine art conservation/restoration thus the screen name.  If your curious about what I do you can check out my work at www.savantandshutts.com

Looking forward to meeting up with some of this crew at the Galaxy.

Larry

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: New Atlanta Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 05:44:01 pm »
Welcome!  Yours is a story we love to read/hear.  By all means, stop by the Galaxy Diner for a meeting.

If you can, please join the club for the Polar Bear Run, this Saturday.

Your wife does sound like a keeper!  You're lucky to have her.  By all means, bring her along.

As you know, with any car of tjis age, there can be unexpected problems.  You have the first key: being patient.  Are you willing to drive a distance to get a good Fiero, or must it be "local"?

Just FYI, a Fiero as you described may be in the $5-6K range, depending on options and mileage.  If you are good with that range, there are possibilities.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:36:35 pm »
I saw the Polar Bear Run thing, looks like a lot of driving fun.  Mapped it 298 miles and 5 1/2 hours round trip from my world headquarters here in sunny Chamblee.   I will put it on the list for next year, sorry but not going to be able to make this weekend.

I will definitely see everyone at the Galaxy, I'm not too far away and have made notes of the dates on the calendar.  I happen to go there once a month already for the Early Ford V8 Club RG24 board of directors meetings, so I know the menu well.  It will be nice to have a different daily special.  I have been going monthly only on Tuesday's for several years so same taco salad, chimichangas and turkey and dressing specials every time.......

I did notice that white Formula in Savannah, very tempting but not sure I am a glass roof/t-tops kind of guy.  I did have a 911 with a metal sunroof that was nice to have as when it was closed you blocked out the sun.  We go to Savannah once a year around February to look after artwork at the Telfair Museum.  If it happens to still be there Ill go and see it.  The automatic is kind of a slight bonus.  I remember that my big size 13's were kind of tight in that small foot well.  I recall hitting the break several times accidentally with the side of my foot while depressing the clutch.  This is something I will have to drive and see if I like.

Black, white or silver first.  Red distant second, yellow way down the list.  Custom color Ok if palatable.  I have painted a few cars over the years and would not mind doing some repairs/touch-ups but I need to stay away from starting another project to do a color change.

I really like the '88's nose.  I can tolerate the '84's but do not so much like the mid-years noses.  Never liked the look of the GT with the sail panels.  These are purely personal aesthetic considerations, nothing more.  There are a few custom noses/body kits I have seen over the years that are OKish, but id prefer a factory '88 skin.  Is it possible to put an '88 nose on an earlier car?

I have only recently been watching sales/auctions on eBay and the listings on Facebook marketplace which seems to have replaced CL as the go to place for private vehicles sales listings.  I have been restricting them to 88's thus far.  There is a Formula in AZ on eBay that looks like many others but is a 5-speed and red.  Chatted with the owner on email.  He is upper 70's, his 8th Formula and just cannot get in and out.  Ohio originally, low miles so probably stored winters in AZ now via CO.  Its a $5K now, but frankly its too far away to be realistic.   I figure I should be able to find one from NC, TN, SC, GA, AL or MS avoiding FL salt air.  I haven't really set a budget yet, I think $4000 would be easy OK with the Boss Lady and $6000 would have me selling something I already own or sleeping on the couch or both.  The longer I wait the more I can sock away in the Mad Money fund.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:52:12 pm »
Figure another $1,000, after purchase, because there will be things that will come up.  Water pump, fluids, lights, brakes, vacuum tubes, tires, etc.  Many potential issues are listed in the April, May, and June newsletters.

The trim on the '88 is smooth, whereas the trim on the previous year notchbacks is grooved.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:18:38 pm »
The 88 nose will fit on earlier years but a GTRS mentioned, it is round molding so it would need to go on the fastback GTs to match.  There is a problem with that, however.  It has something to do with the marker light I believe.  I think the marker light is a different length.  Best thing to do for an 88 nose look is to install the 87 base coupe nose.  Other than those little nuances, all body panels are interchangeable throughout all years. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:20:44 pm »
Hmmm.  '84 door skins?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:39:12 pm »
They will interchange, too.  Some things require other parts be swapped also in order to make things match, like panels with ribbed or smooth molding, fastback along with decklid, vents and tail lights. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 10:55:15 pm »
Welcome (back) to our obsession!
This is a search for 88s that I built in Craigslist, that will search Atlanta and some neighboring cities and states.
Link
There aren't very many, just now.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:05:49 pm by Raydar »

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 11:01:35 pm »
If you find the right car and just need the 88 formula nose mine is about to come off for good.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 11:05:13 pm »
On your fastback?

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 12:15:10 am »
On your fastback?

Thanks, nice to know the option is out there.

I really have enough toys so I hope to hold off the "I want it nows'" long enough to find the reliving the dream '88 Formula in Black with a solid roof.  If it costs a few extra bucks and I have to let something go, so be it, it will be worth it.   

Now that 5-speed vs Auto thing is still to be settled.  We have been a one "normal car" family with the toys acting as second+ cars forever.  I have had a stick car as a daily for over 20 years until two years ago we added a VW Golf with a 6 speed auto when our SRT-4 5 speed stick car got totaled.   I do not have a "commute" but having the auto in Atlanta traffic has proven "better" than the previous 5-speed as a city grind commuter.  I do not intend to commute in it but will drive it most days as my #1, trading off with the '47 which is what I usually drive, while the wife takes the WV.  Opinions?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 06:50:32 pm »
Now that 5-speed vs Auto thing is still to be settled.  We have been a one "normal car" family with the toys acting as second+ cars forever.  I have had a stick car as a daily for over 20 years until two years ago we added a VW Golf with a 6 speed auto when our SRT-4 5 speed stick car got totaled.   I do not have a "commute" but having the auto in Atlanta traffic has proven "better" than the previous 5-speed as a city grind commuter.  I do not intend to commute in it but will drive it most days as my #1, trading off with the '47 which is what I usually drive, while the wife takes the WV.  Opinions?

Regarding "daily drivers"...
Several years ago, I would have been all over a manual. Automatics were just... meh.
But some of the newer automatics are quite intuitive. My '10 G6 GT has a 3.5, and the usual GM 4 speed automatic. But the programming is quite nice.
If you pull it down into "3" instead of "D" it becomes the perfect commuter trans. It holds 2nd gear until 45 MPH, no matter what the throttle position. If you're slowing down, it shifts down into 2nd as soon as you hit 35 MPH. Might be difficult to picture, but it's perfect for stop and go traffic.
My most recent purchase, a 2019 Ram pickup, is even more intuitive. If you are slowing down at more than the usual pace, it will downshift - and keep on downshifting - until you don't need it to any more.

But yeah, this is about Fieros. The Fiero automatic is... okay. But not stellar.
I would be inclined to buy a manual, or swap in a newer powertrain with a 4 speed (or even a 6 speed) automatic. But then, I'm that person who can't leave anything alone.
I'll keep my eyes peeled, for you.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 09:37:14 pm »
Claz.org is your friend.  The site can help you locate a Fiero, or whatever.  There are 2 beautiful Formulas on there, but in your least desired color.  Be aware that, while claz searches the legitimate sales sites, it also searches the shady sites, so pay attention to where the cars are actually listed.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 12:42:36 am »
I tried Claz when searching for my Feather Craft, definitely got some weird and very out of date hits.  I just tried a new one to me today  https://www.autotempest.com/  I remember an old CL tempest search engine from a few years ago and this is better in many ways.  Even will search  FB marketplace if you do an extra click step.   The jaxed.com mentioned above is new to me as well, looks to be about the same as others but when your hunting you never know where the find will be from.

Been watching some Youtube videos of Fieros recently lots of "interesting" stuff out there.  My tween kids are big into Youtube but I hardly can stand it most of the time, too much like side show barkers to me.  But I have come across some good ones.  I liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8G-6JZIp0