Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Atlanta Guy  (Read 18257 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Re: New Atlanta Guy
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 05:32:56 am »
Welcome to our madness, please keeps hands and feet in the vehicle at all times. Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 12:56:37 pm »
They will interchange, too.  Some things require other parts be swapped also in order to make things match, like panels with ribbed or smooth molding, fastback along with decklid, vents and tail lights.

This is why I had thought there were issues with the '84 door skins.
http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3870.0

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 03:30:48 pm »
I just noticed that the white Formula in Savannah is a T-top. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 07:00:02 pm »
Yeah, not so sure about those T-tops, or glass sunroofs for that matter.  Only ever rode in one T-top car back in the late 80's, I just remember it was different in the era when convertibles were dead.  I don't particularly like getting dripped on while driving. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 07:33:54 pm »
Both mine are sunroof cars.  Only one of the 6 or 7 I've had that wasn't was an 88 bare bones coupe.  My first ones, both 85's did leak.  The others didn't unless hit with high pressure at the car wash.  Castor oil applied to the seal several times a year will stop most leaks. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 08:47:06 pm »
Your 85's probably didn't have weep holes, as per this official GM leak fix.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 09:14:18 am »
I messaged the guy with the white T-top Formula in Savannah.  He lowered the price from sometime since I last looked at the ad.  Ill see if he responds.

Since I have pretty much decided that only an '88 Formula will do I think I may be behind in the numbers game. 5400+ made  and my lack of desire of the nearly 50% of production that are red and yellow units leaves me with about 2600 manufactured cars.  Subtract 35 years of attrition, poorly modified, wrecked, rusted, beat to heck ect, I probably am looking to find one in 1000 (does this sound realistic).  How picky should I be, how many will come along each year?

I certainly know the general inspection routine I would do on a typical used car but not sure of Fiero specific issues.  Things like unobtainable parts to make sure they are serviceable, areas prone to cracks, known issues with anything.  Is there a good thread either on here or PFF about what to look for specifically when doing an inspection for possible purchase?  If is a one in 1000 car, how picky should I be on a $3000 purchase?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 09:18:18 am »
See the April, May, and June 2019 newsletters.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 02:47:21 pm »
Thank you so much, these are perfect!  Just what I was looking for.  I'm going to turn them from prose into a check sheet that I can bring with me so I do not forget to inspect something.

Most folks wont allow you to start tearing things apart doing a leak-down or compression test but one thing I always do is to stick a finger in the tail pipe.   If it comes out a greasy oily mess...move along.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »
Glad they were helpful.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 06:58:00 pm »
Something you will find with owning an 88 is that some of the suspension parts are in very short supply due to the revisions made in 88.  Front hubs and front and rear brake calipers are also almost non-existent.  Eli is having that issue at the moment.  He can't find calipers. 

Edit:  Looks like GTRS has found a source of 88 calipers.  Pricey but available.  In The Market.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:11:11 pm by Fierofool »

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 10:05:50 pm »
OK first post with pics, lets see if it works...Ok they are all upside down, that is too much to correct Ill make sure next time.....

So I have not heard from the Savannah T-top Formula guy, he looks to only check facebook every two weeks, regularly.  But I have been in touch with another 88 Formula in white.  This is a pretty much loaded option group 3, 5 speed car, clean saddle colored interior with a bit over 90K on the odometer.   Paint is thin in a few spots and he stated it could use "shocks".  I had him send me some under car pics.  It looks pretty good to me, am I missing anything?  The second to last pic is slightly odd, what am I looking at?  It is surface rust only but do I see a factory seam or possibly a crack, does it look like has it been welded on?  Thanks for looking and any responses would be appreciated. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:39 pm »
I think you found the weak spot on the '88 frame.

It looks as if the cat is AWOL, but the rusty pipe is missing a spring.

If the shocks need to be replaced, the tri-links likely also need to be replaced.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:09 pm »
I shrunk your images by about 90%, and they may now show right side up.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »
Now that you say that I see one (crack?) exactly on the opposite side near that missing spring.  I have seen the "repair plates" for 88 cradles ad on PFF.  Does it have to be removed or can it be repaired in place?  I am a decent welder (some might say better grinder) but I have a buddy that does it way better and has a shop with a lift and a much better machine than mine.  This might be a good haggling point to get it significantly cheaper.

Anyone got a good pic of a cracked cradle to compare to?

Good catch on the missing cat.  Not such a big deal with no emissions in GA.  As a kid with no cash we cut mine off in 1994 and chiseled out the guts through the small openings in the cut pipes with a long drift rod and welded it back on.  But to the inspector it was there.  Always had a exhaust leak after that, couldn't weld the top side too well with it still in place, I forgot about doing that just until now.