Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Keeping it, still?  (Read 14741 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Keeping it, still?
« on: January 29, 2020, 06:20:08 pm »
If you had purchased a Fiero new, would you still have that same Fiero?  Why or why not?

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Keeping it, still?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:12:41 pm »
Ummm...... I  was 12 when they came out

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 08:20:34 pm »
Youngster!   ;)

Some people in the club were a bit older.

I was driving, by then.  Racing for several years.  A Fiero would not have been practical, anyway.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 08:26:01 pm »
You sound jealous

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:41:37 am »
I was 48 when my older brother bought "The Little Black Car" that I now own. I wanted it but could not afford it at the time so he bought it with the intentions of me buying when I could afford it.
I finally could afford it when it was 20 years old and the rest is history.  That's my story and i'm sticking to it.  8)
HarryT
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:36:44 pm »
My first new car purchase was a n ‘87 GT. It was the only one in a 100 mile radius of New Orleans. I test drove one without the vista roof but didn’t fit. The dealer called me two weeks later because he had one with the vista roof and I fit! I still own it but it doesn’t run. Sitting in my garage. A future project.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:45:10 pm »
How long since it ran?

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 09:59:40 pm »
I hate to say it but —- 20 years! Life happens and gets in the way. LOL

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 10:02:44 pm »
Here's to hoping it is up and running less than 20 years from now.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 05:00:44 am »
Bought my first Fiero, an 85 GT, in 86. Would have kept it, but........it was actually stolen from base (Ft. Campbell, KY) by another soldier, who then sank it in a lake close to Macon, GA (Lake Wildwood)........total damage. Was thinking about getting another one with the insurance money, but was deployed shortly after, then met my future/now wife and started a family, so I needed something bigger. Didn't make that much as a young warrant officer, so having a second or third car wasn't an option. :-(
\D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:03:32 am by Donster »
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 11:40:35 pm »
Why did he sink your Fiero?

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 09:33:24 am »
I was 24yo and stationed in West Germany when the Fiero came out. I had been reading everything I could find that was written on them at the time. At the time , I was driving a 70 914. Met a new owner of a white 84 2M4 at the PX on day and after talking to him, decided to wait til the 85's came out to order 1. So, after the announced the 85 with the V6 engine upgrade, I went in at the end of Feb. , ordered my 2M6. Yes, it has been a lot of work to keep. I have very few complaints about my car.  Mostly , its family members who ask why do I still have a 2 seater when I need a bigger car. I tell them I dont need a bigger car, they just need to drive their own.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 11:17:21 am »
I had been following the car magazines (mostly Car and Driver) regarding the Fiero, since long before it arrived. Since my daily was a Chevy Monza with a swapped 350, I had little interest in a four cylinder, however.
Once the 85 GT came out with the V6, it was a different story. I prowled the dealer lots continuously. One evening I went to the dealer nearest my house, in my rickety 74 MG Midget, and found my car. It was a white 85 GT, with a 4 speed. Looked just like an Indy. As soon as I turned the key and heard the V6 rumble to life over my right shoulder, I was a goner. The Midget stayed there, and I drove the GT home.
I kept that car until February of 88, and traded it for a Firebird Formula, ironically, two weeks before they announced the cancellation of the P-Car program.
I didn't own another Fiero until 97, when I bought the red 88 coupe that some of you still remember. I have not been without at least one Fiero, since then.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 08:07:14 pm »
What drew you to the Firebird?

For that matter, what made you change back to the Fiero?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 10:07:34 pm »
What drew you to the Firebird?

For that matter, what made you change back to the Fiero?

The Firebird? I got bored with the Fiero. Also had a G/F with two kids, so I thought it might be useful. (My dumb ass...) Also, I thought the Firebird Formula was just gorgeous.
But to tell the truth, the Fiero beat the hell out of me. (This was before I learned about the subtleties of early Fiero wheel alignment.) I was driving on a lot of rutted roads, and such, and the Fiero became a chore to drive, and was also chewing up tires. NTW was no help. I was just done with it. 

Why did I jump back in? I never got past how cool the car was. Decided I wanted to have another one to mess around with. But since I was starting over, I decided to do an 88. (To be fair, I have driven several earlier cars, since then, and they weren't near the "handful" that my 85 GT was. And I've driven another one that was like a buckboard wagon. It literally rattled my eyeballs. So, as always, I suppose it depends upon the individual car.)
I have mostly stuck with 88s ever since, because that's where my skills (and spare parts stash) lie.